Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

Two swapped cars won, everyone's head exploded, therefore no posts.

😂

 

It was like racing in a cloud the whole time.  

Track was slick as snot

 

maybe got 45 minutes with a dry line each day, Saturday got dryer than Sunday thus the faster times.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of really great driving out there all weekend. Not too much to talk about other than a tough, fun weekend. I really enjoyed my time on track in a couple cars. Well done to all the teams out there and champcar

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Electrical gremlins plagued the CMP Racing Prelude all day on Saturday. The car would stumble and buck; we could watch the TPS channel on the telemetry feed and see it acting funky, so we spent some time troubleshooting that. One of my drivers says "my Miata did the same thing when the kill-switch went bad." So we gave that a shot and swapped it with 10 mins to go on Saturday and went back out- that seemed to fix it (thanks TMI Racing for having a kill switch!) Sunday went better but we were still getting a slight miss at the higher RPMs, so we short shifted a little and soldiered on. So I've got a little work to do between now and March, but nothing major.

 

I saw good driving during my 2-4 stint on Sunday, and had a great time racing the black/yellow Mustang for a few laps at the end. Sorry for the tap I gave Lasershark going into 4- I thought I saw a point by but I believe it was your window net flapping. Nice save and hopefully it didn't mess you up. Oh and I blew a trailer tire out going home, that's always fun.  

 

We had live streaming for the first time at this race and I highly recommend it- it worked very well and was entertaining in the pits (plus it auto-saves to YouTube so no more uploading video for hours).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NLS Racing had a great weekend despite the gloomy weather conditions. Day 1 we began near the back of the field after the qualifying draw. We made steady progress forward. The caution fell about 1:45 into the race and we missed an opportunity to jump onto pit road with the leaders. The race was then red flagged and the entire field pitted causing a long wait to get onto pit road. We lost about a lap to the leaders over the miscue. We pushed on. Stint 2 was the fastest of the day with the track drying. Some small contact with another car resulted in a black flag for our driver. One more lap lost. Stint 3 was going great until a car decided to side swipe us cutting down a valve stem. Another unscheduled pit stop to change the tire and another lap lost. Uneventful from here on out and brought our Nissan home in 6th place only 4 laps down.
Day 2 started very wet and dreary. We made some changes over night hoping for better wet handling. It was not enough. The car was quite a handful to say the least. We just pressed on, watching car after car slip and slide off track. Multiple cautions and a brief red flag later, we decided to try some pit strategy. At the 2 hour mark we pitted for a driver change only, no fuel. Hoping to make it to the 4 hour mark, we came up short. Pitted for fuel about 3:25hrs into the race. While pitting we also unhooked the front sway looking for more grip. It worked. Picked up 10 secs a lap. Changed drivers at the 4hr mark. The track dried out a little during stint 3, but it wouldn't last. Closing in on our final driver change and fuel stop, the skies opened up and drenched the track. Hydroplaning down the straights, foggy windows, and zero visibility made for some white knuckle driving. Final stop completed. Onto the finish we went. Our strategy worked, we estimate we gained 4-5 positions by only stopping for fuel twice during the 8 hour race. Overall finish of 11th, but with 2 EC class cars in front of us, that put us at a 9th place finish. 
A great weekend overall, a little disappointed over the "what if" from Saturday. We proved we are a contender, just have to put it all together. Many thanks to the family and friends for the love,support, and hot food. And our hats off to all our fellow competitors. Congratulations to Ballenger and Huggy on the race wins. The bar is set pretty high.  We will return stronger than ever. See you in 2019!!!

Edited by bigyellow
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bigyellow said:

NLS Racing had a great weekend despite the gloomy weather conditions. Day 1 we began near the back of the field after the qualifying draw. We made steady progress forward. The caution fell about 1:45 into the race and we missed an opportunity to jump onto pit road with the leaders. The race was then red flagged and the entire field pitted causing a long wait to get onto pit road. We lost about a lap to the leaders over the miscue. We pushed on. Stint 2 was the fastest of the day with the track drying. Some small contact with another car resulted in a black flag for our driver. One more lap lost. Stint 3 was going great until a car decided to side swipe us cutting down a valve stem. Another unscheduled pit stop to change the tire and another lap lost. Uneventful from here on out and brought our Nissan home in 6th place only 4 laps down.
Day 2 started very wet and dreary. We made some changes over night hoping for better wet handling. It was not enough. The car was quite a handful to say the least. We just pressed on, watching car after car slip and slide off track. Multiple cautions and a brief red flag later, we decided to try some pit strategy. At the 2 hour mark we pitted for a driver change only, no fuel. Hoping to make it to the 4 hour mark, we came up short. Pitted for fuel about 3:25hrs into the race. While pitting we also unhooked the front sway looking for more grip. It worked. Picked up 10 secs a lap. Changed drivers at the 4hr mark. The track dried out a little during stint 3, but it wouldn't last. Closing in on our final driver change and fuel stop, the skies opened up and drenched the track. Hydroplaning down the straights, foggy windows, and zero visibility made for some white knuckle driving. Final stop completed. Onto the finish we went. Our strategy worked, we estimate we gained 4-5 positions by only stopping for fuel twice during the 8 hour race. Overall finish of 11th, but with 2 EC class cars in front of us, that put us at a 9th place finish. 
A great weekend overall, a little disappointed over the "what if" from Saturday. We proved we are a contender, just have to put it all together. Many thanks to the family and friends for the love,support, and hot food. And our hats off the all our fellow competitors. Congratulations to Ballenger and Huggy on the race wins. The bar is set pretty high.  We will return stronger than ever. See you in 2019!!!

 

You guys were a lot of fun to share the track with. Great driving, even though the car didn’t look super fun to drive in the wet.

 

i drive the Winsome Racing E30. 

 

Oh, and after all these years, the meaning of NLS, finally dawned on this dumdum 🤣

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill start off with this, and follow it up a bit later with more. Thanks to everyone for a FANTASTIC race!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim said:

Ill start off with this, and follow it up a bit later with more. Thanks to everyone for a FANTASTIC race!

 

 

JimAndy!!!! Don't hold onto the wheel when the car makes impact, big Dawg! You need those hands for your jobby job w/ the navy

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd race for #38 RX7 Rotary Racing.  It was a no electronics weekend- dead battery, no radios, no livestream camera, no lap timer, no clock.  The one guy who actually wears a wrist watch- it died?! Started Sat morning and got two hours in, and then started with fuel cuts after driver change.  Came out several times until we found a loose wire on fuel pump.  Got it patched and we at least able to make sure everybody got some seat time.

 

Late night repair on Saturday. Thanks for the reggae soldering music to Racebar folks.

 

Sunday we ran all day, managed to keep up with pit stops and driver changes using a pit board and some creative hand signals.  Ended up 2nd in class, and 12th overall.  Best finish yet!  

 

Had a blast in the rain; spun out several times, ran off a couple times, and little door to door "hello, I'm over here" love tap with the 252 Acura.  (Sorry about that) Driving around spins and offs made for some very exciting racing, too.  

 

Can't wait to get back out there in the spring!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

Two swapped cars won, everyone's head exploded, therefore no posts.

It wasn't the V6 MR2 either.

 

It's worth noting which tires were used by the cars that finished up front.  The RE71R's help a lot.

 

Phish knows a lot about car racing and how important tires are:

"Tires are the things on the car that make contact with the road..."

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Chris Shay said:

It wasn't the V6 MR2 either.

 

It's worth noting which tires were used by the cars that finished up front.  The RE71R's help a lot.

 

Phish knows a lot about car racing and how important tires are:

"Tires are the things on the car that make contact with the road..."

 

This song is totally going on one of our Racebar playlists.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I announced over the staff radio race bar has come through pit in holding their rod out the window it was not understood by some as connecting

  • Like 4
  • Haha 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK.

1. Ian had an amazing time. Though I thought he was going to die a few times. But he did not. He is hooked. We will be sending him to the BMW school in April at VIR now. We had it planned that he was going to get a dry stint on Sunday. But the radar and real life never matched. He did not want to go back out in the rain. 
2. We had two laps due to points. So we had a bit to catch up on. We tried fracking hard. Saturday was more of a test and training session. 
3. Tires. It was a joke that I stuck my son on 2-year-old Hankook RS3s, in the cold and the rain. They had the best tread. And this race was basically to give my son some seat time while using up the old gear. Well, RS3s suck donkey tails.  Sunday we used 4-year-old Durezas. Damn, they were fun.
4. We discovered a broken trans and engine mount on Saturday. That contributed a lot to our mishandling issues. I welded them back up, and they worked awesome on Sunday.
5. SRI again used me as a brake on the North Course. The 69 car punted me off at t7. He got past the Neon and tried to dive past me, I never saw him until I was spinning. 

6. Holy shit that was fun! I have not had that much fun racing in years.
7. Sorry if you could not get around me. If you went off after or while trying to pass me, you did it wrong.

8. My new driver, J. Salmon will most likely return as a rental driver. Want a  well funded IMSA licensed driver that takes care of the equipment, and offers really good feedback, and handled my MR2 really well, contact me, and I will forward the info on.

9. Now I have to get back to my real job...

47343349_10104668584051946_4270028985007603712_n.jpg

 

My 17-year-old sons first chance to race wheel to wheel. In the wet, on really shitty tires. In the worst conditions short of ice and snow. He spun 6 or 7 times in his 90-minute stint. He tapped the wall at NASCAR resulting in a black flag. But after the fear wore off, he was ready to go again.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to the people that were sending my boss hate email because we did not put a ChampCar.Live show on, sorry. I had to race. And my team had other work to do outside of racing.
So it all worked out. 
I was able to capture impound for you on Saturday. But Sunday I was busy trying to load a three-wheeled MR2 onto the trailer and trying to find my lost truck keys (found between the seat and tunnel of the MR2.)
 

and yes there were some pretty wild emails we got sent.

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

and yes there were some pretty wild emails we got sent.

please share- but use green font...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill,

Jackie mentioned getting Ian a tutu with a VIR sticker on it. Really glad he stuck with it as long as he did on Saturday. Commendable. No contact and didn’t hear or any complaints. As much as we talk about speed creep and all the other BS that goes on, it’s nice to see new faces driving. We have to keep that going or it’s just going to be old farts soon with no new “talent”. 

 

Old farts as in the same grumpy butts, not necessarily old in age.

Edited by jakks
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

And to the people that were sending my boss hate email because we did not put a ChampCar.Live show on, sorry. I had to race. And my team had other work to do outside of racing.
So it all worked out. 
I was able to capture impound for you on Saturday. But Sunday I was busy trying to load a three-wheeled MR2 onto the trailer and trying to find my lost truck keys (found between the seat and tunnel of the MR2.)
 

and yes there were some pretty wild emails we got sent.

 

Like you've never done that before.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Did anyone get any video of the U.G.A.Y (Unicorn Goes Around You) Miata's untimely demise with 20 mins left on day 1? We all had a great time. Really unfortunate way to end our race, but that's racing. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and chalk up another two races for the indestructible 2006 Toyota 3MZ 3.3 liter v6. Been in the car since 2012. 35,000 racing miles of only changing Mobil 1 0w-40 oil.
The engine had 119,000 miles on it when I purchased it from the junkyard. That engine will be installed in the new Spyder race car when I get some time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, red0 said:

Team Racebar are my heroes. 

 

that Sharkcar is freaking fast! It made me feel really inadequate on Saturday through hog pen.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×