At one point in the race yesterday, I went into turn one, as we entered the exit, the little yellow Fiesta started sliding sideways, I remember thinking "that's odd..." as I started to slide the rear out as well. We were on an intersecting trajectory as I just applied power and induced counter steer to try and keep my ass from smacking his nose. apply the power pulled the mr2 far enough away from him that we missed and I was able to maintain the drift until passed him where I pulled the car back in line. anyone get video of that as there were quite a few cars behind us in that tangle in 1.

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

OK.

1. Ian had an amazing time. Though I thought he was going to die a few times. But he did not. He is hooked. We will be sending him to the BMW school in April at VIR now. We had it planned that he was going to get a dry stint on Sunday. But the radar and real life never matched. He did not want to go back out in the rain. 
2. We had two laps due to points. So we had a bit to catch up on. We tried fracking hard. Saturday was more of a test and training session. 
3. Tires. It was a joke that I stuck my son on 2-year-old Hankook RS3s, in the cold and the rain. They had the best tread. And this race was basically to give my son some seat time while using up the old gear. Well, RS3s suck donkey tails.  Sunday we used 4-year-old Durezas. Damn, they were fun.
4. We discovered a broken trans and engine mount on Saturday. That contributed a lot to our mishandling issues. I welded them back up, and they worked awesome on Sunday.
5. SRI again used me as a brake on the North Course. The 69 car punted me off at t7. He got past the Neon and tried to dive past me, I never saw him until I was spinning. 

6. Holy poop that was fun! I have not had that much fun racing in years.
7. Sorry if you could not get around me. If you went off after or while trying to pass me, you did it wrong.

8. My new driver, J. Salmon will most likely return as a rental driver. Want a  well funded IMSA licensed driver that takes care of the equipment, and offers really good feedback, and handled my MR2 really well, contact me, and I will forward the info on.

9. Now I have to get back to my real job...

47343349_10104668584051946_4270028985007603712_n.jpg

My 17-year-old sons first chance to race wheel to wheel. In the wet, on really shitty tires. In the worst conditions short of ice and snow. He spun 6 or 7 times in his 90-minute stint. He tapped the wall at NASCAR resulting in a black flag. But after the fear wore off, he was ready to go again.

Regarding 7) Not sure who was driving the first stint on Sunday, but I had a blast figuring out how to get around you.  When I finally found a solution to that problem, I made it a half lap before spinning out in the lower esses and losing a bunch of passes.  When I finally caught up again in the lower esses, and thought I would now have to find one more creative passing maneuver that would be a surprise to both parties, you spun out.  Can't tell you if I was more excited or disappointed- either way it was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I had a great time this weekend other than the 12 hour drives to and from Chicago...and the ensuing naps!   The BMW was in great form and, though a handful in the wet, was at least predictable and I was able to at least put some solid lap times in.   I was able to get some SEMI dry laps at the end of 10-2 on Sunday, but all wet stuff on Saturday (8-10).   Some very good driving out there by others, and some VERY considerate drivers of slower cars.   They did a great job getting out of the way of me and no real issues.   Met some great people, exchanged some great stories and had good time on track!  Couldn't ask for more!   

Sunday ended poorly for us but I will let Nigelstu discuss that!   Thanks for a great event and hope the pit entrance guys enjoyed our chili!

• Like 2

The Schumacher team had some issues Saturday.  Our first driver spun on lap 2 just before the bridge and shunted into the tire wall hard.  The radiator miraculously survived, even though it got center-punched by the crank bolt.  It turns out the whole engine and transmission assembly flexed forward on the mounts in the impact, which caused some issues with the shifter and driveshaft support bearing.  That and some sawzall work got us back out on track about three hours in.

Our second driver put in a good stint through the dryest part of Saturday, and put in some really competitive times.

The third driver made nearly all of his stint in worsening conditions and then spun in the exact same place as the first one, and hit the same tire wall in the same place, which ended us for the day.  The radiator wasn't so lucky the second time, as it took not just the crank bolt, but about 120 degrees of crank pulley too.  With the bent front end, the only thing that would fit at that point was a bent radiator, so we had to disassemble everything and get out the comealong.  We got everything back together at about 5 pm.

I started Sunday, and really pussyfooted it for the first half hour or so.  The front straight was terrifying at the start.  Visibility was about zero and there was no grip.  Once the standing water started to go away I could push it a little more and managed to get us up to 6th by the end of the stint.

We had a couple of spins and offs throughout the rest of the day that slowed us down, so I think we ended up 15th or so.  Over all it was a good recovery from Saturday.

@vtjballeng had me guest-drive the Not Banned Yet 240 on Sunday for a sick driver.  I got in just as the RaceBar nuked its engine.  It was a little disheartening for the previous driver to be running sub 1:50s and to start out in the 2:10s, but I guess the RaceBar oil got pulled most of the way around the track.  In any case, I managed to make a little time on the rest of the leaders.

Then the rain came down, the windshield fogged up, and it turned into straight up survival out there.  When the car 5 lengths in front of you disappears into the mist on the front straight, it's almost impossible to keep the pedal down.  That was the second-toughest stint I've ever run.  The only one that was worse was the rain 24 a couple of years ago, which was basically the same thing, but in the dark.

Edited by DaveH
  • Like 3

Also, I forgot to mention I had a fantastic battle with Bill in the first stint Sunday.  When I reeled him in, we fought for a couple of laps, with some very sideways action by all parties involved.  I finally got him, then let him past so we could do it all over again. (I actually got distracted with some radio transmissions about oil temperature.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveH said:

Also, I forgot to mention I had a fantastic battle with Bill in the first stint Sunday.  When I reeled him in, we fought for a couple of laps, with some very sideways action by all parties involved.  I finally got him, then let him past so we could do it all over again. (I actually got distracted with some radio transmissions about oil temperature.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

I'm not sure who was running the second stint on Sunday, but we had  a great little duel for about 5 laps.   That car looked REALLY loose, and you driver could really wheel it!

2 hours ago, Zauskycop said:

Thanks for a great event and hope the pit entrance guys enjoyed our chili!

Yes sir that stuff was the bomb , Jerry and I greatly  appreciated it warmed us up. thanks !!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, red0 said:

Team Racebar are my heroes. 

Racebar’s new tradition is freaking awesome!  Good call on that one, that is something to work for!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zauskycop said:

I'm not sure who was running the second stint on Sunday, but we had  a great little duel for about 5 laps.   That car looked REALLY loose, and you driver could really wheel it!

If it was before the full 2 hour mark, it was me in the car.  After that it was Dave Hughes. 

What car were you driving?  I had a pretty good battle with the Not Banned Yet 240 and the blue NB miata right at the end of my stint.

Edited by DaveH

5 hours ago, red0 said:

Team Racebar are my heroes. 

I was #bless enough to drive racebar in the driest part of Sunday.

Whipped off what I thought was a pretty respectable lap time (and faster than that dang ole LaserShark went all day, or my car or some other pretty solid teams’ cars) 

@Jim has a real race car there! Once you time the body heave and the throttle application, it’s smooth sailing. The brakes are really good. The motor WAS healthy right before it went. 

I was floored by how good it was

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DaveH said:

If it was before the full 2 hour mark, it was me in the car.  After that it was Dave Hughes. 

What car were you driving?  I had a pretty good battle with the Not Banned Yet 240 and the blue NB miata right at the end of my stint.

Nope, that would have been about 30 or 45 minutes? into the second stint...so 2:30 mark or something.   I was driving the Black E36 with the mustaches all over (662)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zauskycop said:

Nope, that would have been about 30 or 45 minutes? into the second stint...so 2:30 mark or something.   I was driving the Black E36 with the mustaches all over (662)

I tried to give some local hog pen tips that probably sounded pretty dubious to a tall  dude in a blue suit in their pit. Is that you?

So here is my best shot at a writeup. The weekend was a total blur, but we got to race with some really amazing people. So many awesome battles being fought out there I can't name or remember them all. Also thank you Champcar for not kicking us out, yet again. Somehow we seem to just slip under the radar. Some highlights:

1. Both Racebar and Lasershark threw connecting rods

2. Kristina - Second time on a race track ever. She did great.

3. Racing in the rain and fog. This was insanely awesome

4. Sorry for the 12:30 engine revving wakeup call Sunday morning. Apparently we thought our alarm clock was set for 6:30.

5. Ben Dawson turned a better lap time in a car with 100% stock suspension and beer cans on the roof then he did in his own car.

6. Lasershark finishing top 10 on Saturday caught us completely by surprise. We never ever expected to do even remotely well.

7. Racing with Bill Strong

8. Passing Bill Strong

9. Mike letting us give out the Racebar trophy and starting a new tradition

10. Going off track, getting stuck in mud, then not being able to go over 40 mph because it felt like the car had square tires.

11. Kristina sitting backwards on turn 1 for three laps until she was towed in. Apparently after she spun, the oil pressure light was on (the engine was off). We told her if the light comes on to turn the engine off.

11b. Kristina sitting backwards on [REDACTED] for [REDACTED] until she [REDACTED].

12. Throwing a rod, then jamming out to reggae music while being towed through the pits and waving a "rod" at everyone. Priceless.

13. Getting out of Racebar after blowing the motor up, then blowing up the motor in Lasershark in the same way. Sorry about the oil on the track.

14. Too much bar not enough race. Missing the start of the race on Sunday because we couldn't find enough people to get the beer cups out of racebar, or gas in Lasershark. Then several of our drivers not being able to race because they were too hung over.

15. Drawing dicks on peoples cars in places they wont find until they get home.

16. Someone complaining to Mike about the dick on the rear window of Lasershark......and then having to remove it. I still want to know who it was.

17. Best quote of the weekend "I guess I'm not that good at joining orgies" - Brian Dawson

18. Watching cars pass then promptly spin or go off track. Then getting cocky and doing the same thing.

19. Serving pulled pork and beer to the corner workers and having them tell us how much they enjoy seeing us go around the track.

20. Forgetting to register Racebar Friday night, then being so bothered by it that I couldn't sleep and was litterly waiting for mike to show up in the morning.

21. Almost getting arrested in Emporia on the way to the track for this: 

22. Running straight into a tire wall at 36 MPH while yelling oh frack. Then backing up and continuing to race.

Edited by Jim
fixin
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

So here is my best shot at a writeup. The weekend was a total blur, but we got to race with some really amazing people. So many awesome battles being fought out there I can't name or remember them all. Also thank you Champcar for not kicking us out, yet again. Somehow we seem to just slip under the radar. Some highlights:

4. Sorry for the 12:30 engine revving wakeup call Sunday morning. Apparently we thought our alarm clock was set for 6:30.

5. Ben Dawson turned a better lap time in a car with 100% stock suspension and beer cans on the roof then he did in his own car.

6. Lasershark finishing top 10 on Saturday caught us completely by surprise. We never ever expected to do even remotely well.

8. Passing Bill Strong

10. Going off track, getting stuck in mud, then not being able to go over 40 mph because it felt like the car had square tires.

11. Kristina sitting backwards in turn 1 for three laps until she was towed in. Apparently after she spun, the oil pressure light was on (the engine was off). We told her if the light comes on to turn the engine off.

11b. Kristina sitting backwards on [REDACTED] for [REDACTED] until she [REDACTED].

12. Throwing a rod, then jamming out to reggae music while being towed through the pits and waving a "rod" at everyone. Priceless.

13. Getting out of Racebar after blowing the motor up, then blowing up the motor in Lasershark in the same way. Sorry about the oil on the track.

14. Missing the start of the race on Sunday because we couldn't find enough people to get the beer cups out of racebar, or the gas in Lasershark.

16. Someone complaining to Mike about the dick on the rear window of Lasershark......and then having to remove it. I still want to know who it was.

17. Best quote of the weekend "I guess I'm not that good at joining orgies" - Brian Dawson

18. Watching cars pass then promptly spin or go off track. Then getting cocky and doing the same thing.

19. Serving pulled pork and beer to the corner workers and having them tell us how much they enjoy seeing us go around the track.

20. Forgetting to register Racebar Friday night, then being so bothered by it that I couldn't sleep and was litterly waiting for mike to show up in the morning.

21. Almost getting arrested in South Hill on the way to the track for this: 

My man. Thanks for letting us wedge our junk and people into the racebar family. Thanks so much for the ride Sunday!! The car is a hoss 

Y’all bring the joy for sure 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zauskycop said:

I remember racing you guys a bit here and there in both cars.  It would have been first and third stints on Sunday.  They guy you raced was the other Dave H.  He's the driver that didn't hit anything on Saturday.

Our car is a handful in the rain.  Sideways is the order of the day. 

1 hour ago, bendawson3 said:

I tried to give some local hog pen tips that probably sounded pretty dubious to a tall  dude in a blue suit in their pit. Is that you?

Nope, I received no tips, though that would have been helpful!!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Zauskycop said:

Nope, I received no tips, though that would have been helpful!!!

Just the tips?

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, 5chumps said:

Regarding 7) Not sure who was driving the first stint on Sunday, but I had a blast figuring out how to get around you.  When I finally found a solution to that problem, I made it a half lap before spinning out in the lower esses and losing a bunch of passes.  When I finally caught up again in the lower esses, and thought I would now have to find one more creative passing maneuver that would be a surprise to both parties, you spun out.  Can't tell you if I was more excited or disappointed- either way it was a lot of fun.

That was me.  Most awesomeness racing ever. I had such a blast!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bendawson3 said:

I was #bless enough to drive racebar in the driest part of Sunday.

Whipped off what I thought was a pretty respectable lap time (and faster than that dang ole LaserShark went all day, or my car or some other pretty solid teams’ cars) 

@Jim has a real race car there! Once you time the body heave and the throttle application, it’s smooth sailing. The brakes are really good. The motor WAS healthy right before it went. 

I was floored by how good it was

Usually motors are the best right before the go KABOOM!

9 hours ago, Jim said:

8. Passing Bill Strong

11. Kristina sitting backwards on turn 1 for three laps until she was towed in. Apparently after she spun, the oil pressure light was on (the engine was off). We told her if the light comes on to turn the engine off.

14. Too much bar not enough race. Missing the start of the race on Sunday because we couldn't find enough people to get the beer cups out of racebar, or gas in Lasershark. Then several of our drivers not being able to race because they were too hung over.

21. Almost getting arrested in Emporia on the way to the track for this: 

22. Running straight into a tire wall at 36 MPH while yelling oh frack. Then backing up and continuing to race.

Ohhh RACEBAR. I need to meet you all. Reminds me of why I got into this series. You have taken it to another level. Looking forward to Indy!

• Like 2

let's see some blooper reels! I'm not in charge of any video from the race. So, i just have to wait....haha. I did see some funny stuff out there during my time on track, mostly harmless, but pretty hilarious

Also I want to take an opportunity to share our documentary that was recently released. We were honored to be part of the "what we do" documentary series. Doug Frasier spent 6 months following us as we prepped for the 24 at vir in August. 

Edited by Jim
Wrong link
  • Like 4

Ok, I'll bite. What is the Racebar trophy? And what do you have to do to win it? And do I really want to know? (Probably)

Edited by FlorahDorah

I was working for Formula Experiences on Saturday on the skidpad being teased by the race going on.

So, I asked @Huggy if I could drive with them Sunday. He said yes and I was like "Party on Wayne." 

I hopped in the car for 2nd stint Sunday. 1 lap down to the leader #346.

I unlapped ourselves in the first 15 minutes or so. Then passed them for the lead 45 minutes later before lapping them again close to the end of my stint.

I enjoyed the full wet to partially wet conditions, Huggies car handles it well and was very pleasant to drive. My last race with the team was last year at this event which we won in the 146. It was nice to come back right to winning form with the 246 and get the car's 1st victory!

Thanks to everyone on the team, and everyone on and off the track.

• Like 4