On 12/10/2018 at 9:52 AM, bendawson3 said:

We had fun out there, despite some tough times over the weekend. I had fun racing whoever was driving for Danger Racing at the end of the day Saturday before we had to pit in for a driver change:

Great video and battle between your cars! At 4:04 Danger nearly made their damage symmetric @Hurljohn. Also, is that damage on the left side of the windshield where the Laser Shark Speaker went ;) ? (Joking about this, I'm not aware of any damage).

Edited by vtjballeng
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

Great video and battle between your cars! At 4:04 Danger nearly made their damage symmetric @Hurljohn. Also, is that damage on the left side of the windshield where the Laser Shark Speaker went ;) ?

Did the Lasershark speaker do damage to somebody's car? PM and lets talk.

A little bored today so I overlayed some Boeing 737 TCAS sounds onto this clip of contact with Hill Billy Racing:. The driver was really cool about the whole thing. Super apoligetic. I didn't see his late brake and slide so its on me too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, DaveH said:

As promised, the Schumacher Taxi Double Crashes at the Double 8:

That is beyond hilarious.   And congrats to you for not being too serious about life to post it.  

• Like 1

I'm just pleased the car ran flawlessly all day Sunday after that.

It was a pretty epic repair too.  There was a comealong involved.  I had fun.

Edit: I'm also pleased I wasn't either one of those drivers...

Edited by DaveH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jim said:

I should have the speaker launch on video.  Will post once I find it...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jim said:

1 hour ago, chip said:

I should have the speaker launch on video.  Will post once I find it...

OMG. I love this place. Please.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DaveH said:

As promised, the Schumacher Taxi Double Crashes at the Double 8:

Ahhh man, I saw that coming. 

That curb spins up a tire as your jump it and boom. Beautiful consistency by your two drivers.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, DaveH said:

I'm just pleased the car ran flawlessly all day Sunday after that.

It was a pretty epic repair too.  There was a comealong involved.  I had fun.

Edit: I'm also pleased I wasn't either one of those drivers...

Man, we were pitted next to you guys in the winsome e30. Amazing tenacity and resourcefulness all weekend. Well done, you fellows. Testament to endurance 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, vtjballeng said:

Great video and battle between your cars! At 4:04 Danger nearly made their damage symmetric @Hurljohn. Also, is that damage on the left side of the windshield where the Laser Shark Speaker went ;) ? (Joking about this, I'm not aware of any damage).

Yeah, they nearly evened up the damage and the next lap, I slide all the way into turn 1, not to be outdone by the danger racers. that lexus is a lot of car and fun to race against. I want another shot w/ a good alignment on our rig!

And that damage was our own doing, no flying speakers. My first chump race in 2012, there was a family truckster themed car that was launching suitcases off the top. That was fun, right, James....?

• Haha 1

Pretty wild weekend for me.  

Started friday morning scheduled to drive the Hulk civic.  Circa 8pm on the way to the track, I get a call from one of the other drivers that the motor blew up and he was turning around and headed back to FL.  I was 30 min from VIR at that point so I figured I'd go see myself.  Sure enough, getting the car off the trailer, one of the valves decided to pretty up the piston with some new shiny gouges.  

Well that sucked.

Surely every team has their drivers lined up at 9:30pm the night before a race.  I'd been in contact with @vtjballeng so I send them a quick email about the NBY 240.  Turns out one of the regular drives was having a worse day than me having torn a quadriceps muscle while packing for the race and was headed for surgery!

Thanks universe for the perspective.  I won't be grumpy about maybe not getting a chance to play race car driver for a weekend.

10:30pm:  NBY seat still available, ride secured, jump inside the Nissan to get reacquainted since it'd been 15 years since I owned one....and its nothing alike obviously.  Oh well, I quickly get familiar with safety equipment, some switches, some buttons, rest can wait for tomorrow.

Despite the treacherous weather, Saturday and Sunday seemed way less hectic than that night. Results were awesome.  It was a privilege to be a part of the team's first overall win on saturday.  Sunday I drove a couple stints including the last where I was giving it everything to try and make up the lap on the pinkies BMW. I managed to wheel the thing around to a fast time of the weekend but despite getting the strategy right, a repeat wasn't in the cards. Regardless, it was an incredible weekend, and not one that I was expecting at around 8:15pm Friday night.  I had a blast sliding around the track with all of you competitors.  Can't wait for the next one.

Here's a video of the quick lap aided by the drying line on Sunday and a relative paucity of traffic.

As always, if it wasn't for the volunteers and staff and corner workers, we'd be stuck at day jobs not thinking about a great weekend, so thanks to all of you. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A little late on this thanks to life, snow and power outages.

HWD Racing had a great weekend as this was only the second race weekend for our new Acura CL.  We actually full 2 hour stints both days and had no major issues outside of a transponder not working, black flag and foggy windshield.  The car is plenty fast now just to get all the drivers to run consistent times.  Our two fast drivers ran well with several of the leaders.  I was a bit slower but had a blast.  Even with front wheel drive and plenty of power the weight of our car makes putting down the power out of turns a bit tough.  If we can petition to get our points down to maybe 500 instead of 550 for 2018 and now 530 for 2019 we may have a shot at a podium.  Starting 6 laps back in the wet is tough to overcome especially with a good field like there was.

I was not the one driving in the NBY video when we spun, that was our slower driver who claimed front wheel drive couldn't be beat in the rain.  Think he over drove it just a bit.  I spun in the same turn on Saturday to be fair. 

Thanks to all the drivers for some great and clean racing.  Watching the spin out videos is fun, wish folks would post more.  We have no camera in our car.

11 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

I'm going to call my friends at NCIS: Los Angeles so they can "magnify and enhance" this for me.

giphy.gif

Edited by mindspin311
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/12/2018 at 7:36 AM, Wyatt said:

Ahhh man, I saw that coming. 

That curb spins up a tire as your jump it and boom. Beautiful consistency by your two drivers.

Not sure why this comes to mind watching the spins  tenor.gif?itemid=5837725