IPF Racing

How does everyone store spares in their Trailer?

I grabbed this from the webbs  it must be good.   Seriously though these are the numbers you'll find from many sources on what tongue weight should be.   We have recently shuffled how we load the trailer by moving the car forward a little and moving the tool boxes to the back.    We carry a bunch of spares and such in the front and Mark's trailer has the axles pretty far back.  (Sundowner trailer, they started building Horse and livestock trailers.)    It's a balancing act that is different for each trailer and load.   Some of you are bigger loads than others. :)

What Is Proper Tongue Weight?

For conventional trailers with ball-mounted hitches, proper tongue weight is roughly 10 to 15 percent of the total loaded trailer weight.

For instance, if a 2,000-pound conventional trailer is loaded with 1,000 pounds of cargo, the proper tongue weight of the loaded trailer should be between 300 and 450 pounds, or 10-15 percent of the loaded 3,000 pound total.

Additionally, some restrictions may apply to the design of the hitch itself – for instance, Sierra 1500 pickup truck models towing trailers with tongue weights greater than 700-800 pounds should move from a weight-carrying hitch to a weight-distributing hitch. Consult your owner’s manual or dealership for more detailed information.

For gooseneck and fifth wheel trailers, which are designed to handle larger loads, proper tongue weight is between 15 and 30 percent of the loaded trailer weight.

Edited by JDChristianson

21 minutes ago, Huggy said:

My experience towing with an 8.1 and an open trailer resulted in plenty of opportunities to buy lottery tickets.

The Racebus has a 55 gallon fuel tank. I can make it to NCM from Chicago without a fill which is about 430 miles. I also don't participate in the poor tax that is the lottery. 

Since you are a numbers guy, the Racebus was purchased for $5,500 with 9,900 miles on it. A one ton diesel vehicle with 9,900 miles would most likely cost $20,000+ dollars. How many miles would I have to put on the Racebus to break even on that ~$15,000 difference?  Regular gasoline is $2 a gallon and diesel is $3 a gallon where I live. Let's say the diesel gets 15mpg to my 8mpg.  

I think you will find that the 8.1L with 4L80E is pretty awesome for the price. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, red0 said:

The Racebus has a 55 gallon fuel tank. I can make it NCM from Chicago without a fill which is about 430 miles. I also don't participate in the poor tax that is the lottery. 

Since you are a numbers guy, the Racebus was purchased for $5,500 with 9,900 miles on it. A one ton diesel vehicle with 9,900 miles would most likely cost $20,000+ dollars. How many miles would I have to put on the Racebus to break even on that ~$15,000 difference?  Regular gasoline is $2 a gallon and diesel is $3 a gallon where I live. Let's say the diesel gets 15mpg to my 8mpg.  

I think you will find that the 8.1L with 4L80E is pretty awesome for the price. 

Yep, and the diesel wont get double the mpg towing.  Might do up hills faster.   Oh and you left out more expensive service.  

There are so many short bus jokes that I always want to make about the racebus, but I just can't because its really a great idea and so fitting for what the series is supposed to be.

Just now, JDChristianson said:

Yep, and the diesel wont get double the mpg towing.  Might do up hills faster.   Oh and you left out more expensive service.  

There are so many short bus jokes that I always want to make about the racebus, but I just can't because its really a great idea and so fitting for what the series is supposed to be.

When one of our original Holy Rollers teammates retired from racing, he let us use his truck and trailer for a few events while we were looking for a new rig. Premium dudes and I split the bus and trailer. When we were looking for a tow vehicle I was blown away with the price of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. About the same time I saw a post on this forum about M4L buying an airport bus as a tow vehicle. I thought that was a great idea, and ended up with the Racebus which was used as a mobile office for a crew that did fiber optic cable splicing and later was sold to a gas station before we bought it on Ebay. 

I think we have a good sense of humor, so all shortbus jokes are welcome. 

Moving weight rearward seems to be the easiest solution albeit complicated by the massive 69" wing we run. I seriously considered short buses and ambulances for a while but considering the truck has to be driven on dates sometimes, I'm not sure either of those would be a realistic solution for me.....

Other options are weight distributing hitches, does everyone use one? Whats the consensus on good brands for this sort of thing?

If it was possible to move the axles forward that would be the bees knees, however I think trailer sway becomes the bigger issue. A gas dually makes sense for regular use, but I found it hard to beat the start-ability of a diesels 12309452359 ft lbs of torque. If I can reduce the use of the truck to only a tow vehicle and not a daily, it may make more sense from a cost perspective assuming I can find a good deal on one...

43 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Moving weight rearward seems to be the easiest solution albeit complicated by the massive 69" wing we run.

Back your car into the trailer; much easier than getting a Fiero. :)

On our trip to ORP, I towed the Civic on my flatdeck trailer with my 2001 Duramax and a topper to cover all the spares. Average mpg was 14.6 @ 60-65 mph with tires on the front-mounted tire rack; one mpg better without the tires up there but no room in the topper.

• Like 1

After owning a gooseneck, I don't know if i could ever go back to a bumper pull.  Tows so much better than a bumper pull even with the excess weight.   We ran across the scales after a testing at Sebring.  '18 Ram 3500 4x4 with Aisin trans, 48' Haulmark,

full tank of fuel in the truck, Cobra and Mazda in the trailer with about 90% of our spares and toolbox.  Got 11mpg going to Sebring and back too..  Dodges FTW!

IMG_20181006_111749.thumb.jpg.80b149c3ef19b27d5c19e2b19d0211ee.jpg

download_20181221_080620_2.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

@MoparBoyy The rig envy is strong

it was surprisingly cheap.  if you ignore the custom ordered truck I bought.  the trailer we scored used, on facebook marketplace for $9500.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

it was surprisingly cheap.  if you ignore the custom ordered truck I bought.  the trailer we scored used, on facebook marketplace for $9500.

WHAAAAAAAA?!?!?!?  See the problem for us Socal folk is that the square footage of property to park that thing would equal a mortgage...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

WHAAAAAAAA?!?!?!?  See the problem for us Socal folk is that the square footage of property to park that thing would equal a mortgage...

Well that I get.  I live on 5+ acres, plenty of room for trailer storage.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:41 PM, TBone said:

Jack? For the trailer? Google "Trailer Aid." It's worth every penny. You're welcome.

Oh yea, we have one now LOL.

Loading the trailer today for Sebring, I have all the spares for the cars in bins labeled 1-4 for each car have a list saved to my phone of whats in what box.  I try to keep everything in them so there is less crap on the shelves in my garage and we'll never be without something at the track.  I have spare transmissions for both cars, but they just get thrown in the back of the truck or on the floor in the trailer so they are constantly in the way 🤷‍♂️  The 3 fuel drums and 7 VP jugs take up a ton of room but I dont know of any solution for those.  This race we are going to try and dolly them all out of the trailer after we arrive to leave us more working room in the trailer if needed.  After the pit cart is loaded in front of the toolbox and both cars in the trailer there is barely any room on the floor.... maybe we should have got the 53'

IMG_20181223_100452.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 9:12 AM, red0 said:

When one of our original Holy Rollers teammates retired from racing, he let us use his truck and trailer for a few events while we were looking for a new rig. Premium dudes and I split the bus and trailer. When we were looking for a tow vehicle I was blown away with the price of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. About the same time I saw a post on this forum about M4L buying an airport bus as a tow vehicle. I thought that was a great idea, and ended up with the Racebus which was used as a mobile office for a crew that did fiber optic cable splicing and later was sold to a gas station before we bought it on Ebay. 

I think we have a good sense of humor, so all shortbus jokes are welcome. 

Best ever was when you picked a race with my bus. When i popped open my doghouse you backed down. Lol.

7.3 short bus FTW.