Jab31169

This weekend was a perfect example of why headlights should be requried

17 hours ago, Eman911 said:

Yes it is. Who the F are you to determine what we can and cannot debate here?

The response of someone who's mother smells of elderberries is of no consequence.   That is also not debatable.

But seriously, many tail lights are fairly dim *cough* Cone Crushers *cough*.  But they are fine 95% of the time.  Even in a light rain, normal tail lights are fine, but in more extreme conditions they are not always up to the task.  I'm not saying that a rain light should be required to pass tech.  Even so, during rainy weather, it starts to become increasingly dangerous not to have one as the weather gets worse.  So it seems reasonable to me that Champcar could recommend one and on the somewhat rare condition that the weather gets bad enough, exercise the option of parking anyone who doesn't have one.

What's not debatable is the fact that you are so self absorbed as to believe no others' opinions have merit.

In recent years many agencies have spent a considerable amount of time and effort studying the effects of emergency vehicle lighting in an effort to understand why brightly lit firetrucks, ambulances and squad cars continue to be struck at accident scenes. Most of these studies indicate that more and brighter flashing lights are not the answer.  So as far as "not debatable", I do not think those words mean what you think they do.

33 minutes ago, Eman911 said:

In recent years many agencies have spent a considerable amount of time and effort studying the effects of emergency vehicle lighting in an effort to understand why brightly lit firetrucks, ambulances and squad cars continue to be struck at accident scenes. Most of these studies indicate that more and brighter flashing lights are not the answer.  So as far as "not debatable", I do not think those words mean what you think they do.

Not sure that's a great comparison.  There is a very big difference between an "over lit" vehicle, and an "under lit" vehicle.

Clearly there is a point of diminishing returns as far as lights are concerned, but factory 1980s taillights in a downpore, on a race track could very well need some improvement.

• Like 1

This is certainly debatable.  In the 38+ years I've been racing, which includes quite a few monsoon races, with one exception when in a SAAB Quantum Formula S racing with a bunch of vintage cars that had no lights at all, I've never really felt that rain lights needed to be mandated.  Certainly not in the many showroom stock, IT, crapcan racer events, including the rains at VIR in 2017.  So as far as I'm concerned, normal tail lights are fine.  This is amateur racing for fun, not some pro event where drivers must press on.  If one's vision is compromised by spray, SLOW down.  I certainly did at times in the VIR 24, often because of glare from far too bright, crappy pattern lights on other cars, not due to poor tail lights.  

If we want to add more rules, how about mandating high & low beams with half the lights being off on low beam and only properly aimed low beams permitted when closer than 100 feet behind another car or when it is raining heavily.  But that is another topic entirely.

20 hours ago, Eman911 said:

What's not debatable is the fact that you are so self absorbed as to believe no others' opinions have merit.

Always being right is truly a burden for me. But my mother does not smell of elderberries.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eman911 said:

When you can't debate the issues, press on with the ad hominem attack. Obviously you are a liberal democrat.

I’m not sure if Monty Python jokes are ad hominem attacks....

2 hours ago, dogtired said:

Obviously, the elderberries remark was a clear case of whataboutism so commonly practiced by those on the Right.

Dog, youre just an a hole.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

15 hours ago, Eman911 said:

When you can't debate the issues, press on with the ad hominem attack. Obviously you are a liberal democrat.

Or your name is Donald Trump......[/font=green]

Are we being serious?  I guess I thought we were joking.

Here are the Cliff's notes on the serious part of what I said.  (not debatable)

• Under some conditions tail lights can be difficult to see and may contribute to a higher probability of on track incidents
  • Maybe a rain light could help in those conditions
  • @Eman911's mother smells of elderberries.  Does this font color help?  I was seriously joking. (see what I did there)?

I just looked up the Monty Python joke.  The mother was a hamster and the father smelt of elderberries.  Maybe I'm not always right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 7:19 AM, dogtired said:

Or, we could just stop trying to race in December..... 😎

At VIR.  I did that.  Snow, rain, blah. Every December I've gone.   I'll pass.  

Edited by Jer

4 hours ago, zack_280 said:

I just looked up the Monty Python joke.  The mother was a hamster and the father smelt of elderberries.  Maybe I'm not always right. 

And if your not careful we shall all clear our nostrils in you general direction. 

And if come back we’ll taunt you again. 

• Thanks 1

Petition: All Monty Python references on the forum will henceforth be carefully checked for accuracy and edited as needed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mender said:

Petition: All Monty Python references on the forum will henceforth be carefully checked for accuracy and edited as needed.

Maybe we can assign them their own text color, I vote for purple. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 12/24/2018 at 3:57 PM, JDChristianson said:

And if your not careful we shall all clear our nostrils in you general direction. 

And if come back we’ll taunt you again. 

Taunt you a second time....  purple font.

• Thanks 1