12 hours ago, Doc said:

Alrighty racers: I need those stories in here for the race recap I am writing!!! I know most of you had an uneventful race....no offs or anything like that so make something up. Maybe a heartfelt tome on the loss of your EZ Up that you had since were a child....You know, those stories that bring a tear to our reader's eyes.

Barber was a good test session for my new set up. My car is currently point valued at ~350 dollars or so. Its a little bit different than a lot of the field.

In fact this race there were only 2! domestics? Looney tunes ford mustang, and my "Catvalier"....

Anyways- nothing against miatas at all,,, just seemed to be a lot of them. So I made this video of my two hour stint.

Hopefully it encourages some others to think outside the box before we become Spec Miata/ Spec BMW.....

Just a cavalier.

• Like 3

@elcaminokid 

I see that video and I counter with this:

Killing a Cavalier with a Miata

But in all seriousness we are very sorry about coming into contact with you. That was our Ringer, Charles. We told him to go full send because I believe we were 7th at the time and we wanted that top 5. That was also our first contact ever. I've watched the clip like 20 times and I just have to chalk that one up to racing. Charles saw the gap and thought you were headed for pit lane, you were probably managing the traffic in front of you.

I think you came to talk with Charles but I was too busy replacing a tie rod, from a powered rack, which is a different thread........ Okay so we Jerry rigged the entire rack in there. We only lost about an hour of race time and we finished the race Sunday with a super sketchy high speed string alignment. Everyone kept their cool and worked together to knock it out. This team is going somewhere!

Shout out to the guy that sold us a steering rack!

Saturday after the first two hours Charles pitted with us (Love Racing) in 1st place! We were on the leader board for the first 4 hours that day. I'm really impressed with the pace of our little 1.6.

One of our guys went off into the rocks and, went off into the rocks, and went off.... Pulled the car in and NO brake fluid. Brake line rubbed through on the tire. We think a rock moved it into contact with the tire. That was sketchy. 30 min later we're back on track with a fresh line and fluid. Again, no one lost their cool. I'm very proud of how we handled all of the mishaps.

Shout out to the guy that quickly sold us the brake line!

I went out the last hour and a half of Saturday. This was my first time in the rain, AND my first time at Barber. That was terrifying! Managed to keep the car afloat and I got to learn the track... From what I could see anyway... I have no Idea how you guys run so close behind each other in that crap.

We are signed up for Road Atlanta in February.

Edited by KoneKillah
We bought the steering rack.
  • Haha 1

@KoneKillah

haha I was waiting for that reply. 

Yeah that was just one of those unfortunate series of events given the weather and traffic in front of me I was trying to manage them, and likely couldn’t see you guys out of my mirror, otherwise I would have waited. (People’s line through that corner is very inconsistent compared to the rest of the track)

Glad you were able to get it fixed up and back on track. 

First clip of shame from Brew Krewe. I was trying to go too fast too soon. This was on my 2nd lap and the same spot that a lot of folks came to grief.  https://youtu.be/F1F4YMgOeDo

Or we can blame it on Chris since his name is on the dash...

Edited by Doc
  • Sad 1

Dang, I would not have predicted that was a bad spot.  The track look demonic in the rain!  

A full course caution came out on Saturday in the afternoon and it just happened to be at the standard 2hr pit window.  The leader was in along with a bunch of other cars.  Control was trying to figure out who to pick up and they were trying to do it quickly.  Jay noticed that Cone Crushers wasn't in, so he suggested picking them up since they were close to the front.  Cone Crushers was running in 7th place at the time.  So the pace car went out to pick up the Crushers.  There was a little confusion on the Cone Crushers part since they were in 7th and the pace car was going slow and driving closer to one side of the track and they told their driver to pass the pace car.  Long story short, they used the age old "I WAS SEVENTH!" argument.  

*edit: Video posted for relevance of the I WAS SEVENTH argument.

Edited by zack_280
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jer said:

Dang, I would not have predicted that was a bad spot.  The track look demonic in the rain!  

The top of turn 4 is notoriously bad, gets light at the top, if you try to hold it in or lift at the top of 4 it goes sideways real quick

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I guessed I always tracked way out in that turn, but again, I did not drive it in the rain.  

I still can't wait for Barber next year.  We are bound to have good weather one of these years, right???

• Like 2

Just now, Jer said:

We are bound to have good weather one of these years, right???

You would like to think so. The new date of Nov 23-24 might help a bit....

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

The top of turn 4 is notoriously bad, gets light at the top, if you try to hold it in or lift at the top of 4 it goes sideways real quick

Not to much of a problem with a 1.6, fortunately!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chriswinsagain said:

Tail lights should be mandatory in the rain. Many times the cars in front of me would disappear. 

And come out of no where from behind.

• Like 1

All in all the 341 OST Racing Miata did pretty well.  First time at the track for all of us, most had never driven in the rain prior to the event.  Saturday was just a mess, the car didn’t seem to have as much grip as a lot of the front runners.  We had 1 unplanned stop about 20 min into the race when we got hit in the driver door/rear quarter going into the S’s.  Then a later stint another car spun into us coming out of 4 while passing us on the outside causing the driver door not open, and the fender to rub on the tire.  I was driving the last stint of the day, the S’s were just downright dangerous, it seemed like almost every other lap someone had gotten sucked into the pit and got stuck.  The straight coming out of 5 the car was basically hydroplaning the whole way down.  At the finish I was soaking wet on the driver side and getting very cold.  Finished the day 22nd.

Sunday had ups and downs due to the varying track conditions.  They didn’t instill much confidence in a couple of the drivers.  Our strategy probably could have been better on the fuel stops, we ended up fueling each stop (1.6 Miata) as we were burning about a half tank each session.  We didn’t want to cut someone short for drive time or run out on track.  Finished the day 20th.  

The facility at Barber is really nice at the start of the weekend.  The grass really took a beating Saturday.  Definitely want to give the track a shot in the dry!

We were able to live stream both days on YouTube using the Yi4k to a Verizon Mifi.  Video turned out great, was as good to not have to change out cameras/SD cards at pit stops.  

Edited by Chappy
  • Like 1

If you watch anything today on youtube, it should be this.  The first 3 mins of this video deserves an oscar for most frustrated driver and team.  Just glad we figured out it was something stupid simple

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2019 at 12:33 PM, Jab31169 said:

If you watch anything today on youtube, it should be this.  The first 3 mins of this video deserves an oscar for most frustrated driver and team.  Just glad we figured out it was something stupid simple

Horn button no workie?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

Yea we gave him hell about that

Sorry sir, this is ChampCar not New York City.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:33 PM, Jab31169 said:

The best part is all of those F1 cars passing him while he is being flat towed (or at least that is what it sounds like)

• Like 4

I finally got around to getting our videos together from Day 1 before the camera died.  Enjoy the

Episode 1:  The Art of Racing in the Rain (working through the field towards)

Episode 2:  The Art of Racing in the Rain: The Humbling (spinning from 2nd place)

Episode 3:  Hey its drying, try not to crash....Well I didn't crash....

Episode 4:  Nothing of note

Episode 5:  How to install a Koy Pond in the floorboard of your Miata

• Like 1

@JDChristianson Here's a clip of you trying to buy some armco

And here is the start of our encounter, GREAT fun trying to catch you.  Was sad to see you spin

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

@JDChristianson Here's a clip of you trying to buy some armco

And here is the start of our encounter, GREAT fun trying to catch you.  Was sad to see you spin

Good stuff....from your view that spin just looks dumb.   whoops.    The two in front of me were wagging tails every which way and I just got out of rhythm with the steering wheel and the go pedal, and a little over confident with how well the car seemed to be putting power down coming out of 5.   Damn I'd like to blame someone else but I was the only one in the car.  :) That was fun up until then for sure 

• Like 1