theblue

new cars today that will someday be the best Champcars?

So I picked up a new Ford Fiesta ST for daily / winter duty because it's cheap, fun, fast, and get get a set of wheels and tires to the shop when needed.   I can't help by feel this will be a fantastic champcar someday in the future.

What are your picks for cars sold new right now that will someday be leaders in a champcar?

It will be fun to look back on this thread a decade from now, so cast your votes.

Edited by theblue
  • Like 1

The question is, would the Subaru motors of today last better than the ones from 15-20 years ago.  Those flat 4s and 6s do not have the best record of finishing endurance races.  

23 hours ago, theblue said:

So I picked up a new Ford Fiesta ST for daily / winter duty because it's cheap, fun, fast, and get get a set of wheels and tires to the shop when needed.   I can't help by feel this will be a fantastic champcar someday in the future.

What are your picks for cars sold new right now that will someday be leaders in a champcar?

It will be fun to look back on this thread a decade from now, so cast your votes.

I suspect that many of today's turbo motors won't be great in endurance racing without some serious modifications regardless of manufacturer.  

• Like 2

The modern electronics and auto transmissions will severely limit trackability of current and near-future cars on the road.  Everything is so integrated, that it will take a bunch of aftermarket stand-alone modules to make the cars function once stripped down to racing form.  That said, the Fiesta ST, FRS/BRZ, Miata, and some of the manual Hondas will do well.

17 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

The modern electronics and auto transmissions will severely limit trackability of current and near-future cars on the road.  Everything is so integrated, that it will take a bunch of aftermarket stand-alone modules to make the cars function once stripped down to racing form.  That said, the Fiesta ST, FRS/BRZ, Miata, and some of the manual Hondas will do well.

Why would you strip the modules? The performance advantage of leaving the nannies in would greatly outweigh (pun intended) the difference in mass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mender said:

Why would you strip the modules? The performance advantage of leaving the nannies in would greatly outweigh (pun intended) the difference in mass.

The only reason to dump the factory ECUs is to get rid of security, otherwise, I say, let em pull that stuff off and install megasquirt #5 and megashift and megaABS (this is the future we are talking about)

8 years ago people were pulling ABS out of their Chump BMWs, now people are looking for all the parts to reinstall...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mender said:

ECU is fine.  The problem is that EVERY aspect of the car now has its own module and they all need to talk to each other.  HVAC, window motors, exhaust valves, electric steering, traction control, seat motors, gauge cluster, ride height sensors, etc. etc.  As an auto engineer I see more and more every year.  It's getting crazy how many modules there are.  A friend is converting a modern car into a track car and it took a lot of work by electrical engineers to turn things off so he could accomplish his goals.  

• Like 1

BRZ and its Toyota twin

Whatever generation of BMW that gets approved

Any year Miata with any modern engine update

4 cylinder turbo Camaro

Honda CRX with any engine that fits

I can easily see the ND Miata becoming an easy contender. We've already seen one at a race back at VIR for the 24 and ran good but can't be certain to its Champ spec speed as it was run by a pro team with mostly pro drivers as an EC. Some others are the BRZ/86, Focus ST, Civic Si, BMW 1 series, Veloster. Could be others but can't think of them right now.