FYI, the DOT standard the 6 in DD light bars meet is for "Driving/Auxiliary High Beam Light" so it can still blind the heck out of people (see: driving with your high beams on), but I guess it should be better than the really crappy ones.  I believe that HID retrofits retaining the factory cutoff or projector retrofits are the best way to go.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Scribe said:

FYI, the DOT standard the 6 in DD light bars meet is for "Driving/Auxiliary High Beam Light" so it can still blind the heck out of people (see: driving with your high beams on), but I guess it should be better than the really crappy ones.  I believe that HID retrofits retaining the factory cutoff or projector retrofits are the best way to go.

That's what we have.

We've got two pair HID projectors from ebay.  One set are LHD pattern, the other is RHD pattern. 

The aim is setup like this:   -----\______/----- with a dip in the center to keep the light down on the track.  The lift on the sides illuminates the corners nicely and doesn't blind anyone.

It's almost too bright when you're driving along side a concrete barrier.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, bbaker480 said:

I second this.  While you are ordering them pick up a pair of the 6" wide beams for your tow rig.  

Diode Dynamics light bars

Or, if you want to go through the expense and hassle and still have the factory buckets you can retrofit Lexus RX250 DS2 HID's into the existing housings and run 35W Xenon bulbs.  There's still no comparison between these and current generation LED's but the work and expense is IMHO not worth it when you can run an 18" bar and two 6" lights angled for cornering.  

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, ramair said:

It would be useful to know what you're building. And if the OEM lighting is still in place, i.e. are you enhancing OEM or need everything aftermarket.

I put a Hella 350 LED bar with a pencil pattern on a NB miata with stock lighting for a 24 hour. The 350/470 series have a stackable bracket option and I will get the 350 with a broad pattern to stack on the pencil pattern for next night race.

miata

On 1/20/2019 at 11:01 AM, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Here you all go.  Here is my night stint at Nelsons:

Is there an option on the dash to dim the display for night or invert it so the text is lit and the background is not?  It seems really bright to me.

1 minute ago, bbaker480 said:

Is there an option on the dash to dim the display for night or invert it so the text is lit and the background is not?  It seems really bright to me.

I'll need to look into this.  It keeps you up at night and the warnings are good.  It didn't really bother me much.....might be brighter than what it is in the camera vs in person.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:12 PM, Gkuhn41 said:

What beam are you using? I would assume driving but didnt know if you chose a wide for the 6" apex lights?

Tyler and I both run the wide beam on the apex lights.  Still throw a ton of light down range too but much wider pattern.

• Thanks 1