MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

16 minutes ago, atxe30 said:

ok, so. got over my irritation re the fuel line thing. pulled all the alu flex conduit i had installed and ran things the way i originally intended:

So where's the solid metal between the fuel hose and the driver?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, enginerd said:

So where's the solid metal between the fuel hose and the driver?

I'm ignoring that until the end of April deadline......

edit to add: as you can see, it is a non-trivial thing to do solid conduit for all of my runs. that's before you get to the topic of access to the oem tank pump fittings. 

i am going to end up having to add a lot of weight back into the car. i really wanted to use the high-end composite stuff they run in safety critical scenarios, but. alas....stuck partying like its 1999....

Edited by atxe30
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

Probabaly easiest to just make a sheetmetal cover for the back seat (second firewall) then conduit the lines next to the tunnel

Lately, I've actually been thinking that running a length of rollbar tubing through the cockpit would be a better solution than trying to cram fuel lines into conduit. 

Edited by Snorman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, atxe30 said:

you can see the oil cooler lines there too:

IMG_0891.thumb.jpg.3727b6204dc13d3fec0857395024ff1e.jpg

Where did you find the fittings to go from stock oil cooler to AN?

33 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Where did you find the fittings to go from stock oil cooler to AN?

It's M22 on the OEM cooler. Pegasus has them: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=PLUMADAP22MM

I got mine here: https://ormebrothers.com/

edit to add. the fitting on the drivers side is the Russell 150. The 180 will not fit.

Edited by atxe30

8 hours ago, atxe30 said:

It's M22 on the OEM cooler. Pegasus has them: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=PLUMADAP22MM

I got mine here: https://ormebrothers.com/

edit to add. the fitting on the drivers side is the Russell 150. The 180 will not fit.

You got lucky - the m22 oil coolers are not common.

most are a metric HVAC type fitting that appears to be unobtanium

The door bars kicked my butt today but got them started at least. Hoping to have the cage wrapped up by next weekend. 

IMG_20190203_164528_052.jpg

• Like 2

@MoparBoyy has been working diligently on the cars through January after a tough weekend at Sebring in December. Both the Mazda and the Cobra are ready to for Road Atlanta. Trailer is loaded and ready to go. See everybody at the track. 

LqQ26F.jpg

VX9gS7.jpg

tlRKKQ.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Huggy said:

You got lucky - the m22 oil coolers are not common.

most are a metric HVAC type fitting that appears to be unobtanium

Sorry, should have added that I had to replace the original one because it was kinda banged up. I grabbed the Laengerer & Reich oem replacement. Ebay store has them for like 140 bucks. 

Sunday:

install new throttle cable assembly

test fit the intake setup:

IMG_0895.jpg

had to cut off and redo the reinforcements for the rear sway bars...'cause the way I had done them many months ago impinged the brackets...painful....and yes my welds are not pretty...oh and welding under the car on jack stands kinda sucks...

IMG_0894.jpg

I dug out an old engine case, cleaned it up and sent it off to the machine shop. ....Building a new engine for Indy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbbugs said:

I dug out an old engine case, cleaned it up and sent it off to the machine shop. ....Building a new engine for Indy!

Type 4, wasserboxer, Subaru?  Can’t stay with a Type 1 if you’re building special just for Indy :)

Helped the slk230 team this past weekend. Ecu works fine now...looks like we need to turn the blower speed down on the m62 from a peak of 14.5k to 12 or so. Anyone know more about these gen 3 m62 (or m90 or m45, same family) blowers in a racing application? 

The audi\vw blow off valve we used was plastic, the supercharger exit temps were high enough to melt it!!

Looks like the rotors grew from heat and ate into the case.....

On 2/2/2019 at 9:01 PM, atxe30 said:

I'm ignoring that until the end of April deadline......

edit to add: as you can see, it is a non-trivial thing to do solid conduit for all of my runs. that's before you get to the topic of access to the oem tank pump fittings. 

i am going to end up having to add a lot of weight back into the car. i really wanted to use the high-end composite stuff they run in safety critical scenarios, but. alas....stuck partying like its 1999....

Smart move on waiting. 

For my car it was non-trivial alright, I basically turned the back of the car from a well ventilated area with all stainless braided lines, FIA rated cell, metal fill tube etc. into a bomb. I think we used (2) 4x8' sheets of metal to construct the bomb casing. 

The composite materials sound pretty interesting. I submitted some UL listed fire retardant materials to see if they could be approved and got shot down. 

As much as rules change and flip flop, wait it out long enough and the rule might change.....who knows. 

• Like 4

Why do you say bomb?

That implies that your original setup had the chance to leak.  Did you change your components or just cover them with a bulkhead?

3 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Why do you say bomb?

That implies that your original setup had the chance to leak.  Did you change your components or just cover them with a bulkhead?

I have a container (everything within the new "bulkheaded area"). This container has many fuel fittings etc. within it that used to  get checked for leaks, tightness etc. These are no longer accessible so this container will likely have a good mixture of fuel vapor inside of it. I also have inside this container several fuel pumps, sensors and other electrical components I hope do not cause a spark. 

Similarly

I used to have a clear vent line that ran vertically. You would watch it through the side window and know when to stop filling as you fill pipe was full so we never spilled a drop. Now you just fill full speed until a geyser of fuel shoots out the fill port back at the person fueling, and down onto the wheel and glowing hot rotor. 

• Thanks 2

I wanted to build a verticle bulkhead at the main hoop where the step for the rear seat is. The bottom half would be metal and the top half would be UL rated fire resistant Lexan. This would seal the drivers compartment off from any area of the car with fuel components while keeping everything visible, easy to access and safe. That design was shot down. 

51 minutes ago, red0 said:

I wanted to build a verticle bulkhead at the main hoop where the step for the rear seat is. The bottom half would be metal and the top half would be UL rated fire resistant Lexan. This would seal the drivers compartment off from any area of the car with fuel components while keeping everything visible, easy to access and safe. That design was shot down. 

That's how Roush built Merkurs, Mustangs, and Cougars (and I'm sure many other professionally campaigned cars) were constructed back during the late 80's-early 90's when they dominated Trans Am and IMSA GT racing.

However SCCA did not allow the same type of construction for their GT class amateur cars = very odd....

Edited by mcoppola

1 hour ago, red0 said:

I have a container (everything within the new "bulkheaded area"). This container has many fuel fittings etc. within it that used to  get checked for leaks, tightness etc. These are no longer accessible so this container will likely have a good mixture of fuel vapor inside of it. I also have inside this container several fuel pumps, sensors and other electrical components I hope do not cause a spark. 

Similarly

I used to have a clear vent line that ran vertically. You would watch it through the side window and know when to stop filling as you fill pipe was full so we never spilled a drop. Now you just fill full speed until a geyser of fuel shoots out the fill port back at the person fueling, and down onto the wheel and glowing hot rotor. 

Can't you put in a hinge and clamp so it is easy access?  I'm not trying to bash you, just trying to understand.

Thanks for the info!

3 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Can't you put in a hinge and clamp so it is easy access?  I'm not trying to bash you, just trying to understand.

Thanks for the info!

I did, but it is a small access hatch that gives some access to the surge tank but not much to the fuel cell. 

This is the bulkhead while we were building it. 

bulkhead.jpg

Edited by red0
  • Like 1

Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

That looks really good!

Unfortunately it makes my car less safe. 

21 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

That's how Roush built Merkurs, Mustangs, and Cougars (and I'm sure many other professionally campaigned cars) were constructed back during the late 80's-early 90's when they dominated Trans Am and IMSA GT racing.

However SCCA did not allow the same type of construction for their GT class amateur cars = very odd....

That's interesting and good to know. Thanks for the info.