MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

14 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Well back on topic before I start worrying about fenders and fuel cells.

what is going on with this cage?  why is the roof bar so far down?  why are the A-pillers so far from the car?  maybe its just the pictures.

1 minute ago, MoparBoyy said:

what is going on with this cage?  why is the roof bar so far down?  why are the A-pillers so far from the car?  maybe its just the pictures.

I welded as much as I could in it's normal position then dropped the down tubes through the floor and tipped the whole cage forward to weld the top sides. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

6 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

I welded as much as I could in it's normal position then dropped the down tubes through the floor and tipped the whole cage forward to weld the top sides. 

Good answer!

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I had to look back on your previous pictures because I thought the A pillar bars were fit pretty close to the BIW, and I was actually going to comment saying "good job" a few days ago.

This picture made me look back on the previous ones, and I figured you did the "drop the cage through the floor" trick to weld it up.

Sweet! Now I really want to come pay you guys a visit. Cool that Dylan @Wittenauer Racing offered some help. If you ever need anything, I'm only 5 minutes from the airport and have a pretty decent fab shop set up in my 2 car garage at home. Feel free to ask.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Good answer!

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I had to look back on your previous pictures because I thought the A pillar bars were fit pretty close to the BIW, and I was actually going to comment saying "good job" a few days ago.

This picture made me look back on the previous ones, and I figured you did the "drop the cage through the floor" trick to weld it up.

Sweet! Now I really want to come pay you guys a visit. Cool that Dylan @Wittenauer Racing offered some help. If you ever need anything, I'm only 5 minutes from the airport and have a pretty decent fab shop set up in my 2 car garage at home. Feel free to ask.

Haha yeah I spent a lot of effort trying to get everything as close to the body as possible, just makes it hard to weld! 

I'll let you know when I get the cage wrapped up and the hangar cleaned up a little more  (kinda crowded with two cars and the miata in it) and you're more than welcome to come out! I appreciate the offer too! 

HrRFR0u_1VJFMxzC5b9_GOeKaAupGauBkxokoegTWzLt6WI2vUCiP0oqD_m6GtiLRZja3BjUAfb_ydGjxgmibDVTYBDJguJqOBsuqExcosFxaisQsoTyPpvVJms-hQzU1P8G7tZl9lmvxchMMdMmpXhkW0zw4x5oDpvmZj8OhIrl04qmyPCjU5XpqM7HMT-yuKyAy35WvWx2nnNS4N3txplEJQPgVF9mwX8bCkhjtdsx_9VBsR2KRdf7i9Oa1CciSMlDtInPQLBtqGiYHgwC6SnVHcZZ2-eX46QKfWKPLDWt2P3-5wwr6ovAHtpZz9u72cbK-R9jJv1qUGrgLhb0-r_-d23c9Ydjul2Y-EeLJ2L2IvJSe0flT4As1dtXgnZcwC9U6vycJp7QZNayl6TesMGWjvEucWCCl-18OLNixy-XKgHaeA70_qMF1EMuoAZCYKkIe3BeZf7ay0s3WObQHfcjjZ-OVcNwg1I-gTAROPFDALkiRG1a8Aq3KaDycHYJvBZnQA59EP3C646xpFuG7NsSkR32DEyNxTtd8mnClHeGBy-X8FDYn9SzgpQo5QoJbVzRxacDtfSXrlIqgPJmx0L0CH1QvHJ2c1MdXDQJFl-u-tHnnUjKvN9YTJjAI5_N5tie6JLsu82Z9UcwlMYiSmSlBPocARcU=w1860-h904-no

• Like 2

We put in an immence amount of work since Sebring:

Redesign Wing

New Splitter

New Wheel Studs

All new lights and light bar

New electrical panel

New exhaust

New diffuser

New radiator

New bumper/splitter

New top with window

New package tray

New fuel vent

Rolled fenders

New transmission

Helmet blower

New radio setup

Cool suit

New Swaybar

And a whole lot of maintenance

let's hope for a finish at Road Atlanta!

20190206_074743.jpg

Edited by LuckyKid
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IPF Racing said:

It turns out you shouldn't plug your welder into the extension cord that runs through 2 strip cords..... Our hangar is actually 20 amps and we're now back in the game finishing up the cage!

The house I just bought has a brand new garage, but I think it was wired by meth-addled juvenile delinquents. I couldn't decide if I had lost my touch with the welder, or something is wrong with the machine. I'll bet the damn outlet is forked...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tommytipover said:

The house I just bought has a brand new garage, but I think it was wired by meth-addled juvenile delinquents. I couldn't decide if I had lost my touch with the welder, or something is wrong with the machine. I'll bet the damn outlet is forked...

Same here, except my barn is on its own circuit from the power pole.  Turns out when they buried the wiring, they decided to use a bare aluminum conductor for the neutral - which kind of, um, vaporized over the years.  Even my drill and angle grinder did funny stuff.  Spent most of last summer trying to rectify that just so I have a place where I can actually work on the race car.

Edited by karman1970

2 hours ago, tommytipover said:

I kinda had a similar issue recently...

The furnace was blowing at my weld area from across the room....  turned off furnace and boom!  Back to mediocre welds!

7 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

The furnace was blowing at my weld area from across the room....  turned off furnace and boom!  Back to mediocre welds!

I bit the bullet and had pro installed 240 run on a dedicated circuit to the garage. figured if i didn't do that things would be blowing all over the place in the garage...heh

Loaded the 944 with its cheaty 3L with 2.5L cam cover swap. 🙈 Safe travels everyone, see you in Atlanta.

Ron 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

My welding issues a few years back were due to old age and failing eyesight. 

I hadn't done any welding for a few years and when I started up again, I couldn't believe how bad I was. Turns out I couldn't see the puddle well. 

A set of eye glasses cured the problem and I was back to my old self.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

My welding issues a few years back were due to old age and failing eyesight. 

I hadn't done any welding for a few years and when I started up again, I couldn't believe how bad I was. Turns out I couldn't see the puddle well. 

A set of eye glasses cured the problem and I was back to my old self.

I duct-taped one of these:

1.00 Diopter Glass Magnifying Lens NT653 | TENAQUIP

To my "helmet":

Image result for welding mask

I find the small welding mask allows me to get my head into awkward spots much easier and thus make better welds. :)

Edited by mender
  • Like 2

Wow, I've got to find one of those type of helmets. I can't tell you how much time I've spent trying to get my head into a tight place welding a cage. Finishing up a small section of weld has sometimes taken 10 to 15 minutes just to get into a Decent position. 

Edit: I take it that is a magnifying lens?

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 2

Or the self darkening function doesn't work because the line of sight from it to the weld is obstructed. Talk about frustrating after working to get in position....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here's where I got mine:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/digital-welding-goggles-and-protection-kit/A-p8699167e

Canadian but you can probably find something similar at Harbor Freight. And don't be tempted to weld without wearing the hood, the line of sunburnt skin just above the goggle line looks silly. ;)

Edited by mender
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Wow, I've got to find one of those type of helmets. I can't tell you how much time I've spent trying to get my head into a tight place welding a cage. Finishing up a small section of weld has sometimes taken 10 to 15 minutes just to get into a Decent position. 

Edit: I take it that is a magnifying lens?

Yes, can get them in various diopters.

Fits a normal helmet but not the goggles, hence my use of duct tape.

Edited by mender
  • Thanks 1

Looks like I'm in the same boat with the mask  @mcoppola, I have never seen a low profile welding helmet before. It looks like Miller makes one for $150 but the reviews on amazon are not that great. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm pretty happy with mine, especially for the price. What were the complaints?

Edit: yes, they can fog if you're a heavy breather and they don't work well if you forget to turn them on!

Edited by mender

1 hour ago, mcoppola said:

Or the self darkening function doesn't work because the line of sight from it to the weld is obstructed. Talk about frustrating after working to get in position....

Heh whenever it does that, I just keep right on welding for about 5 seconds before I realize I'm melting my retinas.

Then I can't actually see what I'm trying to weld for twenty minutes.  I'm not nearly good enough to try and weld my own cage, but that lo-profile helmet looks sweet!

Oh yeah, pictures. Loaded up and ready to go. First time someone else on the team drags the car to a race! 

IMG_20190206_164511732_HDR-2137x1202.jpg

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 3

finished loading, washed the truck, checked the pressures... we start burning diesel at 7am for RA!

3693A8C3-A97B-427E-9CDD-AD587CB34CE7.png

• Like 4

19 hours ago, mender said:

I duct-taped one of these:

1.00 Diopter Glass Magnifying Lens NT653 | TENAQUIP

To my "helmet":

Image result for welding mask

I find the small welding mask allows me to get my head into awkward spots much easier and thus make better welds. :)

I've been looking for a new welding helmet and this definitely fits the bill. Ordered from Canadia with only $19 shipping....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IPF Racing said:

I've been looking for a new welding helmet and this definitely fits the bill. Ordered from Canada with only $19 shipping....

Be aware that the Princess Auto one in the link that I provided has a balaclava, not the one shown in the Miller picture.

Maybe somebody near the border should do a group buy and resell some of these ...

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2019 at 10:03 AM, mcoppola said:

Here's another example of said method just for grins....

image.thumb.jpeg.bc3f4671bf916505131976ff67b19f7f.jpeg

Is that for a midget team?