MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

Ordered $975 (25 point) 14 year old used transmission for my $300 (56 point) 20 year old engine swap into the 30 year old $50 350 point chassis...

Champcar math FTW?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, cowboys647 said:

Fire extinguisher went off in the trailer on the ride home from Barber. I guess the pin slipped out/wasn’t put back it. 

This happened to us on the way to the track once, had to run to Lowes and buy a new one before the start of the race.  Every since then the pin is always put back in and zip tied in when i goes back in the trailer.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2019 at 7:57 AM, ironworks said:

I talked to a guy a while back and if i remember correct he said he took points (i think 10) for ITR pistons. I was going off what they had said but checking the sheet I can't find pistons on it at all. 

I'd double-check the rule book and save the receipt for those pistons. Or at least delete the forum post. :)

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 9:16 PM, Racer7x said:

Because maybe you like a challenge...you have enough room in the trailer for two cars?

Nope, single car open trailer.

Please point out the bad part of this plan, can anyone tell me why this can not be done or why it will not be competitive?

6 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Nope, single car open trailer.

Please point out the bad part of this plan, can anyone tell me why this can not be done or why it will not be competitive?

How about oil pan/cross member? Steering rack/shaft? Brake master clearance?

These were all issues BMW ran into on the 5 series when they put in the V8, not sure if they'll be issues for you. If you haven't read Vorshlag's build thread on putting an LS in an E30 for the GRM challenge, might be worthwhile too.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

How about oil pan/cross member? Steering rack/shaft? Brake master clearance?

In the first video we were  specifically looking for those issues 

Steering rack/crossmember: 

I have choice of front or rear sump available and also have a  excellent welder on the team, looked to be only a minor annoyance.

Brake booster:

Very flat compact design,  infiniti engine is  porkier up top but considerably shorter than the BMW unit, didn’t look to be any issue.

Steering shaft: 

Didn’t see it myself but my welder friend did and was not concerned. 

Honestly we won’t know the stuff until dropping the engine for mockup, assuming it fits,  what do I have to be worried about, 4:11 differential load capacity/cooling? Stock radiator? Points? Inadequate rear camber curve?  Fragile chassis components? Strut towers tearing off? Remember, we are BMW and e30 virgins.

Really spoiled with Infiniti , we don’t even do wheel bearings as maintenance as they seemingly last forever! 

Keep the ideas coming

Edited by Team Infiniti

Maiden voyage went ok.  Spare transmission shifts fine, no weird noises out if it or the new (to us) LSD.  Took it up to about 45.  Pretty happy considering we've replaced nearly everything under the car (rebuilt engine, spare trans, used LSD/axles, new bearings f/r, all new poly).  I think we have a fuel supply issue though, spit/sputtered as I went to put heavier load on it and A/F jumped up to 16+.  Could hear the pump making sputter noises at the same time.  Going to order another pump (current one has overheated in the past) and new filter.  Hoping I don't have bad foam clogging the hydramat.  Any suggestions for a cheap fuel pressure gauge I can plumb inline?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Honestly we won’t know the stuff until dropping the engine for mockup, assuming it fits,  what do I have to be worried about, 4:11 differential load capacity/cooling? Stock radiator? Points? Inadequate rear camber curve?  Fragile chassis components? Strut towers tearing off? Remember, we are BMW and e30 virgins.

Drive shaft? Not sure what the tail end of your trans looks like, but BMW's use those fancy guibo flex disk things. Needs a fixed flange on the trans, not a slip yoke (or take the driveshaft points and change the driveshaft to work with the slip yoke)

Depending on year of donor car, Infiniti uses a 2 piece fixed unit with slip yolk AND choice of either U joint or guibo.

At the end of the day I am less worried about the actual fitment, more the side affects, inadequate strength or points reasons.

Keep going

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 9:50 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

I worked on fender flares for a bit.  I'm gonna be upset if the wheels end up further out than I thought....

Do I get some credit too??

1220.jpg.5ef786e81454854c42c2074a70d73618.jpg

On 1/2/2019 at 9:50 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

Edited by Fitsbain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitsbain said:

Haha!  I thought I had written another post a few days before with the list of people who came over!  Ill have to check what section I put that in.

I did more fender work too.

Then I cut off the front fenders because they were, in fact, not wide enough....

Now I'm going for something completely different on the front of the car.

I will say that the rear fender you did is the best looking one of the bunch!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Now I'm going for something completely different on the front of the car.

Not my car, but a local source used cheap metal trailer fenders on his car pretty successfully

27 minutes ago, Cam Benty said:

Twist that shivalay!!!😲

305 baby.... don't tell anybody it is getting a 2bbl.......we want to save gas LOFL

1 hour ago, Fitsbain said:

To be clear, we can take metal from our inner doors to make flairs to cover the 295s ?

20 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

To be clear, we can take metal from our inner doors to make flairs to cover the 295s ?

you guys are going about it the hard way. TOOOOOOL

6 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

you guys are going about it the hard way. TOOOOOOL

Metal only stretches so far :P

Yes, can re-use material to make flares. How long till someone to tubs the rears then claims it's an "internal bulkhead"? 

Edited by Wittenauer Racing
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

I don't think so.

I believe that repurposed metal from one part to another part has to be charged points as new metal.

But then again, I'm not the authority. I'm just a silly citrus, hanging out and cooking at champ races.

Edited by Fitsbain
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Of all the material reuse discussions, this one sounds the most plausible. Fenders were never on a fixed vpi list that i saw, so material cost i would assume. Reused material should be free as we currently stand. 

Before that, i would look at mounting the fenders further out, and or pulling on them and bending the 90 deg seam by the hood to pull them out. Easier than reworking the fender. Same for the bottom of fender, move the lower bolt mounting spots out to put more curvature in the fender (which you can then roll out)

• Thanks 1

Non oe intake (50 fixed vpi)

Or 2-3 sqft of added material (like 10)

?

Hope it actually makes power. Prepared for it to be no better than stock. Main objective, have a hood i can close with a 2.4 neon swap.

20190103_121104-1040x780.jpg

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

Non oe intake (50 fixed vpi)

Or 2-3 sqft of added material (like 10)

?

Hope it actually makes power. Prepared for it to be no better than stock. Main objective, have a hood i can close with a 2.4 neon swap.

20190103_121104-1040x780.jpg

looks like something for boost

1 hour ago, TiredBirds said:

looks like something for boost

Staying out of that for heat\wear\fuel reasons. 

Na build. Turbos are cheating 😂

• Haha 2

Started stripping all the decals off the mazda.  repaint of the car this weekend and hope the new number plates are ready soon :)

Capture.JPG