MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

Not exactly working on the racecar today, attended a Marine machine shop and Ferrari race team auction, plenty of SBC/BBC stuff mixed with weird race stuff.

With only 35 people (+online bidding) there was plenty of opportunity to score some cheap race junk.

The one other Champ that was there and I decided to work together to not break the bank, between the 2 of us we scored most of the radios and 2 crates of ducting/displacement blocks.

Yes, the displacement blocks(balls) will be available here soon, put your orders in!

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 3

On 3/29/2019 at 9:35 PM, Indysupra said:

1336B812-1561-47CA-8E72-6DAC48E6FBB8.jpeg

On 3/29/2019 at 9:42 PM, Indysupra said:

Wiring fun. 

58D73DC0-AF2B-482D-B7D6-A1B6732759AD.jpeg

This is a perfect example to show why I will never build another car with relays and switches.

https://ecumasterusa.com/products/ecumaster-pmu16-power-management-unit?variant=8318139269181

Up to 16 circuits fully programmable, communicates with the ECU over CAN so you can trigger things depending on inputs or conditions determined by the ECU. You can have up to 12 switches with only a 4 wire CAN connection to the box, I want simple and compact.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Yeah, 1500.00 versus about 80.  You know which way I went...

$80? I see about $500 worth of relays, circuit breakers, and switches in those pictures.

Another thing I am working on is to simplify my car, I think I can get it down to 4 switches, start, run, wipers, cool suit. Those plus a push to talk on the wheel would seem to cover anything I would want to switch on or off in the car.

6 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

$80? I see about $500 worth of relays, circuit breakers, and switches in those pictures.

Another thing I am working on is to simplify my car, I think I can get it down to 4 switches, start, run, wipers, cool suit. Those plus a push to talk on the wheel would seem to cover anything I would want to switch on or off in the car.

Damn!  One of us is buying their stuff at the wrong place....  granted, I am probably in about 150 for a similar setup in my car, not the 80 I threw out there.

46 minutes ago, tommytipover said:

I'm trying to figure out what 14 circuits need relays.  14??

I think it is 7 with redundant relays. Still that seems a lot to me.

1) headlights

2) Cool suit

3) headlights

4) fuel pump # 1

5) Fuel pump # 2

6) bilge fans?

7) Ignition?

8 ) Starter switch relay?

9) Some type of dash system or gages?

After that, I aint know.

On 3/31/2019 at 4:52 PM, Team Infiniti said:

Yes, the displacement blocks(balls) will be available here soon, put your orders in!

Put me down for 2 gallons worth!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Originalsterm said:

Put me down for 2 gallons worth!

Just send that extra two gallons of capacity to me and we'll both be happy! ;)

Yep redundant relays and no fuses at all. 

Very simple, super reliable and so easy to diagnose a problem a cave man could do it! Probably have 325 in it. I spent extra on good eyelets and the connector I used. It’s should last forever. 

Yesterday:

1. Dug around in new stash of duct-work and radios

2.Found spare Alternator 

3. Messed with fuel pump

4. Mounted/balanced 3 tires

Edited by Team Infiniti

Worked on getting my wheels on straight.  Literally.

Today I gotta change out some fuel pump fittings, fix some airdam brackets, put on the airdam, fill fluids.  

It's starting to come together.

Raided my spare parts/fasteners, grabbed a ratchet strap, moved the car out into the driveway, hooked the car up to the truck.  Luckily a well placed hole with space for a harness backing plate behind it existed in the fender rail / hood ledge.  Ratchet attached to that and the tow hitch on the truck plus hammer moved metal.  I may have jumped up and down on that fender rail also.  Neighbors have to think I'm weird (if they didn't already).  Left front fender rail / hood ledge are now in what appears to be close to stock location, at least close enough to bolt the fender back on.   She looks like a race car again.

Took the body hammer and some wood to the rear quarter, moved things enough to get replacement taillight in and hopefully straight enough that the wrinkles left wont be noticeable while zooming around the track.

Few more little things to do (replace the second broken hood latch, little bit of paint, finishing up the little aero tweaks, get new decals on and install the new data) and she'll be ready for the track.  Next weekend.  :)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Well?  What's the digits?

Sorry I was waiting on the dyno guy to send them over. We just got a baseline and smoothed a few things out. Definitely got some more left in it  

Zach Gain.jpeg

I wanna know about that dyno setup!  that trailer mount looks awesome

Just now, Huggy said:

I wanna know about that dyno setup!  that trailer mount looks awesome

Michigan Mobile Dyno just got a new owner, who is a friend luckily. It was a standard trailer that the previous owner mounted a dyno in, he slid one axle forward and the other one back. You plug in the controller box, laptop for software, and an air compressor for the brake. Pretty simple and sweet setup, he travels to car shows all over.

• Like 1