MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

Just now, Snorman said:

Interesting sound coming from a Supra, lol.

Thats what a 4.0l x-piped V8 from a Lexus sounds like lol

10 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Yeah, the V8 exhaust note was what I meant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huggy said:

I wanna know about that dyno setup!  that trailer mount looks awesome

Awesome?  Interesting is what come to my mind.

57 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Are you guys planning on running EC with that V8 swap? Swap calculator showed over 1,400pts going from 200hp to 260hp in a '86 Supra Lexus 4.0 V8 swap...

1 minute ago, Racer7x said:

Are you guys planning on running EC with that V8 swap? Swap calculator showed over 1,400pts going from 200hp to 260hp in a '86 Supra Lexus 4.0 V8 swap...

WOAH when did that change??? The Swap calculator used to add 54 points.... and theres no way the Supra weighs 2700lbs or even close...

3 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

I could be wrong...I'm no swap calculator expert, so I'd double check

Sweet build...

Just did and sent a subsequent email to tech. If it doesn't change then theres no reason for us to run anymore and the build was useless. I mean I just swapped everything over from last year and built a new cage, but I'm not going to run in EC because we wouldn't be competing for anything. And for anyone curious the Supra is 3900lbs from the factory, which I've confirmed through the 4 cars I've stripped. We struggle to get anywhere close to 2,700lbs in race trim.

Not trying to hate on 'ya, I just know the last team that tried to swap the 4.0 260hp V8 lexus in their two door car had issues...

• Thanks 1

Ah ha! Scratch all of that, the Supra changed weight in 1986.5 and they had the 86 weight as the old one, back to the correct weight and swap points in the current generation! Phew!

27 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Ah ha! Scratch all of that, the Supra changed weight in 1986.5 and they had the 86 weight as the old one, back to the correct weight and swap points in the current generation! Phew!

the 81-85 supra has a published curb weight of 3000.  where do the extra 900 pounds come from?

33 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

This page tells a different story:

http://www.supracarparts.com/tech_data.html

Heaviest non-turbo model has a curb weight of 3515 lbs. 90% of that is 3164 lbs. 

Your build is why I feel that it is very important to get the VPI and swap calculator standardized. You now have a car that is either:

1. Allowed to have a 260 hp engine in a 2700 lb race weight car for 54 points. That's 10.38 lbs/hp, compared to a 2300 race weight E30 with 189 hp at 12.17 lb/hp, a 17% advantage. Or:

2. An EC car. If it's EC, you just put a lot of time and money into something that you wouldn't have built if the correct numbers had been in the tables.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

So the weight is wrong in the calculator.  got it. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by MoparBoyy

2 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

the 81-85 supra has a published curb weight of 3000.  where do the extra 900 pounds come from?

6 minutes ago, mender said:

This page tells a different story:

http://www.supracarparts.com/tech_data.html

Heaviest non-turbo model has a curb weight of 3515 lbs. 90% of that is 3164 lbs. 

Your build is why I feel that it is very important to get the VPI and swap calculator standardized. You now have a car that is either:

1. Allowed to have a 260 hp engine in a 2700 lb race weight car for 54 points. That's 10.38 lbs/hp, compared to a 2300 race weight E30 with 189 hp at 12.17 lb/hp, a 17% advantage.

2. An EC car. If it's EC, you just put a lot of time and money into something that you wouldn't have built if the correct numbers had been in the tables.

The third gen Supra has significantly more motor and chassis weight plus interior/safety than the second gen. Mine is a third gen and the lightest third gen I've pulled apart is still over 3600lbs which is the swap weight for that generation. The car is so overbuilt chassis wise that most of that weight remains. You've all seen the stupid hacked up previous version I built and that was well over 2700lbs in race trim and only 60% of the car was left. 

The 1UZFE (1994) is quoted anywhere from 250-260hp which is only a 50hp increase over stock. Its a touch lighter, a bit thirstier, but mostly just way more reliable than the 7MGE.

Also dumb on me for bringing attention to my own build...... 🍻

11 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

I don't think so. Would you rather find out now or when you're in Tech? Clearly the weight is wrong, but it's also nowhere near the 2700# or the 3600# the swap calculator is using (since there is no "1986.5" option). The swap calculator is supposed to use curb weight minus 10%, so you should be in the ~3200 +/- range. 

It is a neat build. 

11 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

The third gen Supra has significantly more motor and chassis weight plus interior/safety than the second gen. Mine is a third gen and the lightest third gen I've pulled apart is still over 3600lbs which is the swap weight for that generation. The car is so overbuilt chassis wise that most of that weight remains. You've all seen the stupid hacked up previous version I built and that was well over 2700lbs in race trim and only 60% of the car was left. 

The 1UZFE (1994) is quoted anywhere from 250-260hp which is only a 50hp increase over stock. Its a touch lighter, a bit thirstier, but mostly just way more reliable than the 7MGE.

It's been an ongoing topic on the forum for at least two years.

I personally have brought this to the attention of BoD and TAC members on more than a few occasions to an effort to prevent someone building a car using the bogus weight in the swap calculator and getting caught in a no-win situation.

You have the dubious honour of being that person. Blame it on the people who should have taken five minutes and corrected a number in a table. 

1 minute ago, Snorman said:

I don't think so. Would you rather find out now or when you're in Tech? Clearly the weight is wrong, but it's also nowhere near the 2700# or the 3600# the swap calculator is using (since there is no "1986.5" option). The swap calculator is supposed to use curb weight minus 10%, so you should be in the ~3200 +/- range. 

It is a neat build. 

Fair point, and I'm happy to discuss in tech or should we even come close to a podium. Lets say it is close to the 3600lb range and 90% is ~3200lbs, that ups the swap points to 78 instead of 54. It would hurt us but I could make 500 points still, really don't want to change anything as we do have a solid setup. 

3 minutes ago, mender said:

It's been an ongoing topic on the forum for at least two years.

I personally have brought this to the attention of BoD and TAC members on more than a few occasions to an effort to prevent someone building a car using the bogus weight in the swap calculator and getting caught in a no-win situation.

You have the dubious honour of being that person. Blame it on the people who should have taken five minutes and corrected a number in a table. 

I know its been discussed before, but new attention/drama is certainly something I wanted to avoid even though I love discussing my build (who doesn't like to show off their work?). We'll see what happens weight wise, I have lots of data and backup info should it ever come into question in tech or impound. We're gonna run our race and have a good time regardless 🍻

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Fair point, and I'm happy to discuss in tech or should we even come close to a podium. Lets say it is close to the 3600lb range and 90% is ~3200lbs, that ups the swap points to 78 instead of 54. It would hurt us but I could make 500 points still, really don't want to change anything as we do have a solid setup. 

I know its been discussed before, but new attention/drama is certainly something I wanted to avoid even though I love discussing my build (who doesn't like to show off their work?). We'll see what happens weight wise, I have lots of data and backup info should it ever come into question in tech or impound. We're gonna run our race and have a good time regardless 🍻

If the 3515 lb curb weight is used, your additional points are 154.

Having fun doesn't depend on your points total. :) 

4 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

That's my point. It's NOT a 1400 point car, and your swap points are probably a little higher than you thought but (hopefully) nothing you can't absorb. When we built the Mustang, we left about 30 points on the table going into Tech for the first time for anything which we may have interpreted differently than Tech (like a hood, for example 🤣). 

40 minutes ago, Snorman said:

When we built the Mustang, we left about 30 points on the table going into Tech for the first time for anything which we may have interpreted differently than Tech (like a hood, for example 🤣). 

Wasnt the hood charged at 25 points?  What the heck was all that whining about then??  You guys still had 5 points to spare...!🤣

Edited by thewheelerZ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

Wasnt the hood charged at 25 points?  What the heck was all that whining about then??  You guys still had 5 points to spare...!🤣

hood was 48 points...  48 points.  for a hood.

Just now, thewheelerZ said:

Tech wanted to give us 48 points for the hood. It ended up being 25, which is still way too high for a hood, especially when you can modify a stock hood (weight reduction, venting, etc.) for free. I wrote a petition to lower the value to 10 points. 

Note: we have been running a stock fiberglass composite hood on the car since the December Sebring races, so that petition will have zero impact on our car. 

1 minute ago, MoparBoyy said:

In all reality it offers at least similar performance to a cam, a wing + splitter + air dam + diffuser + undertray or coilovers.

/green font off

😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

So were you assessed 48 points at the start of that race?

After reading all of this I'm glad we have 100+ points to use up thanks to the lower points structure. Maybe we'll just grab a 350 w/ a set of aluminum heads. I mean why not?