MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

3 hours ago, BollingerChump said:

Go karts? 

I think there is a k arting facility in the family already.

• Like 1

An M60 with two stage nitrous!? You are going to induce oil leaks..... of the hole in block kind!   "I don't always use air injection, but when I do, I paint the plumbing"  But other than that, the blue parts indicate all the places it will just leak oil normally.  Don't forget to bleed the alternator! 

Edited by Hanz and Franz

On 5/10/2019 at 12:50 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

I think there is a k arting facility in the family already.

Yes in-laws have a dirt oval track used for go karts.  We hold one of the biggest races every July in the Midwest. My father-in-law is amazing at track prep.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

You should hold a run What ya bring kart race on it wirh your champcar buddies...

Run what ya brung , man do you know who you are talking to ?? 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Hanz and Franz said:

An M60 with two stage nitrous!? You are going to induce oil leaks..... of the hole in block kind!   "I don't always use air injection, but when I do, I paint the plumbing"  But other than that, the blue parts indicate all the places it will just leak oil normally.  Don't forget to bleed the alternator! 

LOL that's not mine, I was pulling a gag. That is off a BMW forum. That thing is hellasweet. Seems like the build went well, the car is running strong. 

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

LOL that's not mine, I was pulling a gag. That is off a BMW forum. That thing is hellasweet. Seems like the build went well, the car is running strong. 

And here I was going to suggest that if you were going to cross-breed you should go to a Mercedes M119 V8 instead:

"The 6.0 L M119 replaced the M120 V12 in the CLK-LM race car, which then won every race in the FIA GT series, which ultimately resulted in the GT1 class being canceled." 

Successful test on Saturday night.  Prior to test we re-made our y-pipe, reinstalled engine after the winter,  replaced all coil springs for stiffer versions, installed poly bushings for engine mounts, lowered the seat mount to fit bigger drivers, replaced ABS wheel sensor and got ABS working again, completed alignment, sealed our rear firewall from fuel stuff in the trunk, bought and installed a coolshirt cooler, and bought 10 new tires for the year.

Car ran more or less like a top, our suspension set up is NIGHT AND DAY different and the car will actually turn in now!  Clean the car, do a final nut and bolt check, and load 'er up for Watkins!  Lets go racing!

IMG_6419.thumb.JPG.42141608f3531dd3142c2fc0521c5205.JPG

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, mender said:

And here I was going to suggest that if you were going to cross-breed you should go to a Mercedes M119 V8 instead:

"The 6.0 L M119 replaced the M120 V12 in the CLK-LM race car, which then won every race in the FIA GT series, which ultimately resulted in the GT1 class being canceled." 

that looks expensive. 

Just now, TiredBirds said:

that looks expensive. 

The 6.0, yes: the 4.2 or 5.0 is much more common and reasonably priced.

Today:

Fit reinforcement patches on  inner fender

Selected replacement spindle upright, removed spring perch

Wed

Set ride height, reinstall spring perch

Weld patches

No time to spend on the car lately, work has been a priority. But I came home tonight and finished a support bracket for the exhaust. Kept breaking welds or loosening flange nuts so gonna try another support. Did a botch job on the weld repair tonight but its on and hopefully will hold. This is what i started with. Won’t show the final product because I don’t take criticism well. 

BC75C796-165E-4E82-AD65-BA2B1C43FA52.thumb.jpeg.7f677f6797376c0de15a8d5637c01a76.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let's see if I can remember all this.

Planted zucchini prior to inundation

Removed flash flood water from the garage

Rescued numerous worms from a slow death by dehydration

Modified RR caliper for remote bleeder

Rebuilt RR caliper and installed same

Installed RR rotor and halfshaft

Installed RF UCA bushing

Repaired rear spring lower seats

Replaced both front rotors

Inspected front bearings

Rebuilt both front calipers and installed same

Watched in rain at Indy

Provided supervision while my wife repaired the rear seat upholstery for my Milano

Prepared for another round of flash flooding 

Other than that, not much going on around here.

• Like 1

motor rebuilt - just a few things to bolt on and reinstall

new turbo(s) to bolt on, one plus a backup but a twin turbo champ car would be cool

transmission rebuild coming together - adding a cooler/pump ( manual trans ) - we blew up last trans - going to be over on points now

bought  a fpr ( plus a backup ) -  probably no time to install

bought 2 catch cans

bought new ends for wire harness - probably no time to install

bought stuff I don't remember buying and lost track of what I have bought and usually 2 of them

I am amazed at starting so early in the year and still so much to do

new sponsor so need to deal with removing old sponsor decals and designing something

bought another chassis from a team that never finished their build, pro built roll cage , which is why I went crazy buying 2 of most things. Will probably become the primary car after we add foot intrusion bars, stich weld and lighten.

I wont bore you with the rest of my list, its a eagle talon and therefore I need spares and then more spares including a spare car, we are fast till we break is the teams motto

• Haha 1

Dyno'ed the rebuilt motor.

Welded tabs to the new wing.

Gurney flaps arrived!

Added fences to our splitter.

Welded aluminum tube to surge tank.

Bought dynapro singles for rear calipers.

See y'all at WGI!

Edited by LuckyKid

5 hours ago, theamsoilguy said:

motor rebuilt - just a few things to bolt on and reinstall

new turbo(s) to bolt on, one plus a backup but a twin turbo champ car would be cool

transmission rebuild coming together - adding a cooler/pump ( manual trans ) - we blew up last trans - going to be over on points now

bought  a fpr ( plus a backup ) -  probably no time to install

bought 2 catch cans

bought new ends for wire harness - probably no time to install

bought stuff I don't remember buying and lost track of what I have bought and usually 2 of them

I am amazed at starting so early in the year and still so much to do

new sponsor so need to deal with removing old sponsor decals and designing something

bought another chassis from a team that never finished their build, pro built roll cage , which is why I went crazy buying 2 of most things. Will probably become the primary car after we add foot intrusion bars, stich weld and lighten.

I wont bore you with the rest of my list, its a eagle talon and therefore I need spares and then more spares including a spare car, we are fast till we break is the teams motto

As a fellow Talon owner, I find this amusing. Not just because the alternative is to cry in the corner at the honesty of needing spares for the spare car, but thats the main reason... Fun fast but fragile....

Monday & Wednesday:

Tear into damaged RR suspension

Replace upper link mount

Replace lower control arm

Replace toe link

Align rear

Next Monday:

Repair lower control arm mount

Replace spindle & Strut

Hopefully get it aligned

Wrote a pretty good sized check, loaded up..... so far, so good.  9AM scheduled departure.... might make last call at The Lodge...

• Like 3