Jump to content
MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

Recommended Posts

Finished up post-Charlotte component check-over and nut/bolt torque check.  Replaced left front control arm (ball joints that didn't feel great).  Determined my toe-in from Charlotte was due to left tie-rod slowly working itself tighter/shorter throughout the race - assumption based on not being able to find any failed/bent/broken/out of place parts and that lock nut not taking much effort to loosen up.  (Those lock nuts/collars apparently need a more torque than I snugged it down to after that at-track toe adjustment).

 

Cleaned and paint marked all the things related to suspension up front.

 

Testing Saturday at Gingerman so I can easily check all the paint marked stuff and see if there is something else not quite right that in the suspension, and to use up the rest of the rubber from CLT that wont make a 10 hour race.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NigelStu said:

Finished up post-Charlotte component check-over and nut/bolt torque check.  Replaced left front control arm (ball joints that didn't feel great).  Determined my toe-in from Charlotte was due to left tie-rod slowly working itself tighter/shorter throughout the race - assumption based on not being able to find any failed/bent/broken/out of place parts and that lock nut not taking much effort to loosen up.  (Those lock nuts/collars apparently need a more torque than I snugged it down to after that at-track toe adjustment).

 

Cleaned and paint marked all the things related to suspension up front.

 

Testing Saturday at Gingerman so I can easily check all the paint marked stuff and see if there is something else not quite right that in the suspension, and to use up the rest of the rubber from CLT that wont make a 10 hour race.

 

We'll see you there this weekend!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made a little progress today.  IC is in place.  Relocated oil cooler.  Replaced axles and lower ball joints.  Drained funky 2.5 year old gas from the tank.  Made a list of all the plumbing stuff we’re missing for the turbo.  Coordinating parts ordering when you each have bits and pieces several states apart is a pain; don’t recommend it. But, it’s starting to come together!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday:

Cleaned off car

Wired new hood down (no pin holes yet)

Tossed Charlotte damaged fender in car

Zip-tied bumper up

Drove to car show minus fender/headlight

 

Monday:

Rebuilt RF strut/spindle /hub

Fit patch to damaged lower control arm mount

 

To happen Wednesday:

Finish locating/welding patch

Hopefully align.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday:

 

Tack welded patch to front subframe

Aligned

Test drove

 

Today:

 

Replaced RF strut rod bushing

Fitted/Replaced hood and front fenders

Bolted RF brake air scoop back into bumper

Drove it home

More bushings arrived in mail

 

Next wednesday

 

Install front lower control arm bushings

Tear back into rear suspension to find the squirm under braking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest accomplishment of our work day.....

Getting pit to car text working on the RaceCapture. Makes car radio issues not as bad

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today:

Drove it to work

Put in air, pull all 4 tires and go through 3 corners of suspension,  nothing found

Focus on RF where a bunch of unmodified parts with rubber bushings were thrown on @ Charlotte

Replace strut rod bushing with urathane

Replace RF lower control arm with a nicer one, install urethane bushings

Spend a bunch of time making sure the geometry is right, tack weld

Set camber

Drove it Blasted home with a smile, it finally feels right.

 

Tomorrow:

 

Check that alignment is in same place after blasting 25 miles

Finish welding up tacked stuff

Nut and bolt suspension/install cotter pins

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally getting through the fuel cell project.  Welded in the new filler neck, bolted down the surge tank and lift pumps and made up and installed the new fuel lines.  Also installed the new LiFePo battery.  Tonight, after a quick systems check, it goes on a trailer up to the fab shop to have some repairs made and chassis improvements added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today:

 

Checked alignment, was within 1/32 of yesterday

Removed RF lower control arm, finished welding, replaced arm

Dissatisfied with inner/outer RF tie rods, installed spares

Realigned

Booked HPDE track day @ PBIR for Saturday

Loaded turn plates and toe stick in support truck

 

Friday:

If time permits,  install RF brake cooling backing plate and some duct work

 

Saturday:

Drive car 20 min to PBIR

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broke out the fender roller. She meets rules now. Fender roller will be available for rent (1 🍺 per hour) at NCM! 

 

IMG_20190608_130655_823.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 9:01 PM, Team Infiniti said:

Friday:

If time permits,  install RF brake cooling backing plate and some duct work

 

Saturday:

Drive car 20 min to PBIR

No time friday so the car went as is, 23.3 miles doorstep to starting grid @ PBIR,  track day was a complete success but not without a hiccup and a surprise or two, kind of beat right now, been a long day.

More later.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2019 at 9:16 PM, IPF Racing said:

Got into the 1:43's at Gingerman this weekend. NCM here we come...

 

20190527_113036.jpg

Dang nice lap times at Gman   don't run us over when you go by at NCM.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JDChristianson said:

Dang nice lap times at Gman   don't run us over when you go by at NCM.

 

That was during what was essentially open track which hardly happens during a race lol but I'll keep an eye out 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dropped gas tank and all metal fuel lines for replacement. (due to info obtain from injector cleaning and clogging at WGI, rust is no good). Replaced two cracked front rotors and threw on pads for the next track day. Mocked up rad & oil cooler ducting. Replaced damaged control arm and tie rod. Drank beer. Rerouted radio antenna (because I'm a dumb dumb and routed it with the power cables). Deleted all torx bolts from the car. Stupid torx. 

 

Thought about front end design w/ lights for Thompson, surge tank routing, hood venting for radiator and which transmission to install. 

 

also bought a back up e30 shell for funsies. 

IMG_7382.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend we did a head gasket job, block isn’t in the best of shape but hey we think she will hold. 

 

9E7603DB-E0DB-478E-B669-A31539D65BE3.thumb.jpeg.fe9773d6b6563265056c17de571a76f4.jpeg

 

We installed a freshened head while we were at it. 

 

23E1ED3A-4160-4972-9ECB-82C070BC9F7A.thumb.jpeg.add0efd5e088f7670424e9717416d3da.jpeg

 

We finally ditched the old factory steering column and wheel and installed one of those fancy snap on removable “racing” wheels. We were kinda used to it but some of our guest drivers were snooty about it and complained they couldn’t get in the car easily so we finally broke down and did it.  I forgot to take a pic of that. 

 

We installed a flex joint in the exhaust because it looks cool.  Well maybe also because we had a few downpipe weld failures but whatever.  I have a pic of that but it says I have reached my upload limit. 

 

We straightened the radiator support to get the radiator to fit like it’s supposed to. Leftover damage from the unfriendly armco at Barber. I didn’t take a picture of that either because I want to pretend it didn’t happen. 

 

We changed front rotors and pads because we thought we had a cracked rotor but turns out it wasn’t. I guess we just like to keep financing Advance Auto because they keep offering those 20% off deals.  I didn’t take a pic of the shiny new rotors or the super cheaty pads. 

 

Last weekend we mounted tires so now we will have 9 good wheels/tires for Indy. Hope we don’t need all of them but we got em if we do. 

 

We changed oil, I didn’t take a picture of the oil. We checked a bunch of other stuff. We drank some fancy beers that Chris picked up, I took a pic of one of the cans but once again I can’t upload it. We ate some good barbeque from a new place down the street from the shop called Rodney Scott’s. If you are in B’ham you gotta try it. I didn’t take a pic of the barbeque but take my word, it was good. 

 

Car is ready to be teched at NCM.  Plan is to tech there so no surprises when we get to Indy. We will do the practice day on Friday to do a little shakedown then load it back up. Casey and I are gonna hang around and drive with Elon during the races Saturday and Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Burningham said:

This weekend we did a head gasket job, block isn’t in the best of shape but hey we think she will hold. 

 

9E7603DB-E0DB-478E-B669-A31539D65BE3.thumb.jpeg.fe9773d6b6563265056c17de571a76f4.jpeg

 

We installed a freshened head while we were at it. 

 

23E1ED3A-4160-4972-9ECB-82C070BC9F7A.thumb.jpeg.add0efd5e088f7670424e9717416d3da.jpeg

 

We finally ditched the old factory steering column and wheel and installed one of those fancy snap on removable “racing” wheels. We were kinda used to it but some of our guest drivers were snooty about it and complained they couldn’t get in the car easily so we finally broke down and did it.  I forgot to take a pic of that. 

 

We installed a flex joint in the exhaust because it looks cool.  Well maybe also because we had a few downpipe weld failures but whatever.  I have a pic of that but it says I have reached my upload limit. 

 

We straightened the radiator support to get the radiator to fit like it’s supposed to. Leftover damage from the unfriendly armco at Barber. I didn’t take a picture of that either because I want to pretend it didn’t happen. 

 

We changed front rotors and pads because we thought we had a cracked rotor but turns out it wasn’t. I guess we just like to keep financing Advance Auto because they keep offering those 20% off deals.  I didn’t take a pic of the shiny new rotors or the super cheaty pads. 

 

Last weekend we mounted tires so now we will have 9 good wheels/tires for Indy. Hope we don’t need all of them but we got em if we do. 

 

We changed oil, I didn’t take a picture of the oil. We checked a bunch of other stuff. We drank some fancy beers that Chris picked up, I took a pic of one of the cans but once again I can’t upload it. We ate some good barbeque from a new place down the street from the shop called Rodney Scott’s. If you are in B’ham you gotta try it. I didn’t take a pic of the barbeque but take my word, it was good. 

 

Car is ready to be teched at NCM.  Plan is to tech there so no surprises when we get to Indy. We will do the practice day on Friday to do a little shakedown then load it back up. Casey and I are gonna hang around and drive with Elon during the races Saturday and Sunday. 

What engine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

No time friday so the car went as is, 23.3 miles doorstep to starting grid @ PBIR,  track day was a complete success but not without a hiccup and a surprise or two, kind of beat right now, been a long day.

More later.

 

 

I can add to this. So, wouldn't ya know I just happened to decided to drive to PBIR Saturday morning at 5am with my driving gear and just happened to run into Team Infinity. Weird 

 

I drove some test laps to get familiar with the car, it's so fast I blew the left side mirror apart 1st session. 2nd session, the lady at pit out asks me "does this car have a tag?"  "Yes, it does"  "Ok, well it's missing, so we will go look for it during the lunch break"

 

It was a good day, even drug @LEADSLEDLINCOLN along with me and threw him in the passenger seat for a session, so needless to say we left a lot of cherry juice in the Infinity. Been racing against these guys for a long time so it was really cool to be able to hang out and play in their sandbox. 

 

Here is the comical text message between Ed and Adam @ Hooked on Driving (HOD was a great group BTW, will definitely run with them again for testing)

 

tag1.png

tag2.png

tag3.png

 

Edit: The screen capture below is looking from the rear mounted Go-Pro on the Infinity the moment the Benz stole the tag 🤣

 

tag4.png

Edited by pintodave
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone not in the know, Team Infiniti is headed to Indy, stacking the driver lineup with some ringers has been my goal, we are proud to announce Pintodave as driver #4, still looking for Mr. Right for #5 to claim 4 hours @ Indy In the Shark car.

 

 

Still waiting to hear back back from someone but we can not wait much longer, anyone here think they got the right stuff?

 

Ed

561-252-39 three three

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang it Ed this  workin cra--   sure is getting in the way of my driving some bad azz cars and winning some epic races ..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray Franck said:

Dang it Ed this  workin cra--   sure is getting in the way of my driving some bad azz cars and winning some epic races ..

 

Call in sick for one of the Indy days, we won't rat you out. Just keep your helmet on all day like the Stig.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...