MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

Newly rebuilt transaxle.

newly built engine.

rebuilt the CV joints, new boots.

New front oil cooler.

New accusump valve to replace the old leaker.

New Schroth harness.

New window net.

New number/sponsor decals.

New A/C unit, insulation, interior panel, lights in the trailer.

New fender flares.

New paint and stripes .

New T-shirts for the team.

.......and countless other things needing attention before Indy.

It’s getting close to crunch/Panic time!

94332E39-41C6-46DD-9EE1-99516283E6D0.jpeg

• Like 2

Today:

Racecar 

Removed passenger seat, reinstalled cool suit box.

Mounted 2 new Hancook’s ,ran out of nitrogen, didn’t finish .

Tow Truck :

Now going over the top, because I can… 

Harvested Spare leather living room chair for King Ranch leather.

Gave leather and driver seat to  upholstery shop next-door.

With seats out, replaced worn rubber floor “rug” swiped out of  parts truck.

Drove home with mis-match  seats 

Tomorrow hopefully the passenger seat.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Haha 1

"I want to drive all the way to Indy!"

"NO, IIIII want to drive all the way to Indy!"

Next thing ya know we'll be lining up to whitewash Ed's fence  🤣

• Haha 6

Mopped up the puddle of brake fluid under the car again and spent an hour trying to figure out how to make a splash shield over my accusump hose. Why can't I make any progress this year?

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, pintodave said:

four sure you'll be standing in line for gas for him.  ;)

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, pintodave said:

What day are you guys leaving? We're leaving Jennsen Beach about 2:00AM on Tuesday the 9th.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jbbugs said:

What day are you guys leaving? We're leaving Jennsen Beach about 2:00AM on Tuesday the 9th.

I have to speak to Mike for final plans. Pretty sure I have your phone number, we should try to coordinate as many trailers  as possible.

What route do you plan on taking?  Not out of the question but mountains scare us flatlanders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbbugs said:

Hey man, I'm just a renter you'll have to speak to the boss man LOL 🤣

I remade 3 of the 4 rear brake lines and am now down to 1 minor leak from 6, so progress. I also have a plan for the accusump and a good start on a revised mount that will make the new splash shield easier to fabricate.

• Like 1

Car:

Replaced side view mirror Pintodave somehow blasted off while running our car

Attempted to apply large but older, past its prime, decal of team logo, mostly succeeded, may need the help of @Justin9 (hood size, maroon, no need for the WPB Fl.)

Truck:

Upholstery shop started on passenger seat.

Stress checked Drove truck home.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1

The neglected Neon sits pushed to the corner of the garage needing a new alternator and valve cover gasket before Gingerman.

The new to me tow vehicle with 200k miles takes center stage in the garage and the maintenance items being  addressed make the mailman, fedex, and UPS man wonder what and the hell is going on in the garage.   It's an AZ truck so rust and seized bolts haven't been an issue, but the power steering fluid and engine oil that has leaked out and collected AZ dust makes for quite the mess.  

• rebuilding front suspension and steering
  • new steering gear and power steering pump, hoses
  • wheel bearings all around
  • shocks all around
  • plugs and wires
  • oil pump and oil pan gasket 
  • front engine cover gaskets
  • water pump
  • valve cover gaskets
  • all fluids and filters
  • belts

A project that truly feels like pulling a thread on a sweater....

IMG_6630.jpg

Edited by tneker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Eman911 said:

I remade 3 of the 4 rear brake lines and am now down to 1 minor leak from 6, so progress. I also have a plan for the accusump and a good start on a revised mount that will make the new splash shield easier to fabricate.

Blue Loctite is brake fluid safe, FWIW. I use it every time I reassemble lines, definitely cuts down on leakage. 

Edited by IPF Racing
  • Like 1

Today:

Car

Finished up team and sponsor decals on hood, drove to sponsors salvage yard to show off.

Noted brake pull, need to check stuff tomorrow

Truck

Passenger seat reupholstered

Need to organize, otherwise its road ready.

• Like 1

Yesterday:

Truck 

Suddenly that old windshield leak bothers me, rain getting all over my new seats

Patch windshield leak

Today: 

Car

Mount remaining two tires, still struggling with nitrogen regulator  didn’t  finish.

Nut and bolt suspension, find rear subframe loose, tighten. 

Find right front ductwork loose, add to list.

Trailer: 

Inventory spare parts, find we have depleted all spare front suspension, hubs, steering and alternators, gather up everything then rebuild two front struts as emergency inventory.

Locate Spare alternator at sponsors you Pull and Pay West Palm Beach yard, will pick up this week.

Trip planning: 

Conspire with Justin9 and JB Buggs to see if Indy convoy is possible, not looking great… 

Car show weather questionable, drive truck home and cut trees down...

Edited by Team Infiniti

2 year old tires on the trailer and 1 year old tires on the truck.  But after a blowout on the 48' heading to sebring for trackdays, I said 'screw all of this' and put 6 new tires on the trailer and 6 new tires on the truck.  I hate blowouts.

IMG_20190503_140602.jpg

IMG_20190524_182310.jpg

40 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

1 year old tires on the truck

If those truck tires are 17s I may have a ummmm friend interested...

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

If those truck tires are 17s I may have a ummmm friend interested...

They are but, I kept 2 as spares, one had a few nails in it, and the others went to a co-worker.

2 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

But after I hate blowouts.

Ditto....I learned the hard way. Foreign POS tires do not last well or handle overload well. Got 4 tires made in USA, with a higher load rating than the trailer needed. Zero issues after that.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 11:10 AM, BollingerChump said:

We have a couple options for printers available that will print anything but metal.  Decided on Onyx/markforged for a couple of reasons: the material is nylon filled with chopped carbon and when printed at 100% infill provides plenty of strength with a large amount of yield before breaking.  Surface finish on this stuff is fantastic too, none of the layer by layer granularity of other FDM methods.  We could've added carbon/kevlar reinforcement, this adds the chance that if it starts to break down/wear further destruction of the internals is likely.  If it works for Indy we won't be taking the trans back out until the off season, but can update if it survived 20 hours!

Part could be machined from a slug but would be tricky.  We know folks with equipment that could probably do it but finding time in a schedule is tricky, or as you know costs $$.

Very cool you guys can do this....similar resources to what i have at work. 

Lower tech solution....lots of gearboxes from this era have issues with melting shifter fork guides. Some people weld on steel sheet to build up the fork to the correct size, others braze\solder on brass\bronze sheet to get the right thickness. I would go the lower temp route to keep it from warping, although with quick mig work welding might actually have less warping than you would think.

54 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

Very cool you guys can do this....similar resources to what i have at work. 

Lower tech solution....lots of gearboxes from this era have issues with melting shifter fork guides. Some people weld on steel sheet to build up the fork to the correct size, others braze\solder on brass\bronze sheet to get the right thickness. I would go the lower temp route to keep it from warping, although with quick mig work welding might actually have less warping than you would think.

Good ideas.  We figured  building up weld would distort or create a harder wear surface than the slider rings and wear that out.  Also a concern was not getting a good enough bond with brazing and having pieces come off inside the box.  Hadn't considered the sheet steel, could probably TIG it to the fork and keep it relatively cool..

Assumption is this material is less harmful to the rest of the internals if it wears quickly/breaks. If it doesn't hold up we will try the welded wear pad route.

If anyone has a need, Springboard Engineering may be able to help.  http://www.springboardengineers.com/

Edited by BollingerChump

1 minute ago, BollingerChump said:

Good ideas.  We figured  building up weld would distort or create a harder wear surface than the slider rings and wear that out.  Also a concern was not getting a good enough bond with brazing and having pieces come off inside the box.  Hadn't considered the sheet steel, could probably TIG it to the fork and keep it relatively cool..

ssumption is this material is less harmful to the rest of the internals if it wears quickly/breaks. If it doesn't hold up we will try the welded wear pad route.

We have used silicon bronze rod before to "tig braze" and had good luck on castings. I am with you and would stick to a brass\bronze\lower carbon steel sheet so the hardened syncro sliders live. 

The wear on the syncro sliders was less of an issue in the gearbox i had with welded forks....the sliders looked like hell on the syncro teeth long before the groove for the shift fork wore out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

Ditto....I learned the hard way. Foreign POS tires do not last well or handle overload well. Got 4 tires made in USA, with a higher load rating than the trailer needed. Zero issues after that.

these were Goodyear Marathons.  after some research i found a lot of people complaining about them.

6 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

We have used silicon bronze rod before to "tig braze" and had good luck on castings. I am with you and would stick to a brass\bronze\lower carbon steel sheet so the hardened syncro sliders live. 

The wear on the syncro sliders was less of an issue in the gearbox i had with welded forks....the sliders looked like hell on the syncro teeth long before the groove for the shift fork wore out.

Teeth tend to be the part that wears, we were shocked to find ours barely broken in!  I had a VW with a getrag that had a bent shift fork/misaligned shifter that wore the slider down to a very thin wall on one side, probably biased our approach some.

Worked on prep for Indy.  Set of tires mounted and ready to go.  Still trying to decide what to do for 2nd set of wheels with dead tires on them...   Found the connector hose to bypass heater core was leaking and replaced that.  While in there doing that work, found the oil pressure sensor line had some caked on oily dirt - looks like it got pinched from the crash at VIR last year and compromised the hose, oil has been seeping out; ordered up a new one.  Replaced power steering cooler line that was starting to seep (pending spewing P/S fluid everywhere, better to replace with first signs of failure).  Finished making some new brackets for splitter mount - metal tubing instead of thin bent aluminum that was showing some stress cracks already.... 

Other than finishing up the oil line swap, just need to put the new data system in the car and change out the name roll-call on the window to all of Rob's drivers.

• Thanks 1

Yay!

I am super excited!

I have 3 good 245 17s in the rs4 variety that we could mount on those spare wheels "just in case".