MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

1 hour ago, MoparBoyy said:

these were Goodyear Marathons.  after some research i found a lot of people complaining about them.

I got the "endurance" which is supposedly made in usa, vs the "marathon" which was made overseas at some point. I think we read the same info.... When made overseas several people reported issues.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

I got the "endurance" which is supposedly made in usa, vs the "marathon" which was made overseas at some point. I think we read the same info.... When made overseas several people reported issues.

i switched to PowerKing Towmax from our sponsor TireRack.com  great ratings and all my searches had good results.  also went from E load to F loads

Edited by MoparBoyy

Had boats for years and learned to put car tires on them after a few tires cost me $500+ fiberglass fenders.

For the car trailer we put Load Range E truck tires on it and have had good luck so far.

• Like 1

Today:

Car

Adjusted/fixed  RF brake duct

Finally got all 4 tires mounted, replace 1 RR wheel stud, drove it to lunch

After work:

Unhappy with some noises and weird suspension feel under light braking, tore into RR again, found bad hub bearing from Charlotte wall hit(our first bad rear bearing in 10 years!) unfortunately not a easy task, stole entire spindle/hub/bearing from parts car, install 2 urethane bushings

Still unconvinced that was all the issue, changed RR lower control arm, again, no joy, as the bushings needed converted to urethane, 2 more.

Drove home/ through Pollo Tropical pick up window to get something for the super understanding wife.

Tomorrow, drive it to work if not raining :

Secure carrier bearing tin to keep it from making embarrassing noise

Fix wiper

Wed:

Install RR brake cooling scoop

Check, reset rear alignment

Edited by Team Infiniti

On 6/29/2019 at 6:17 PM, Team Infiniti said:

Trip planning: 

Conspire with Justin9 and JB Buggs to see if Indy convoy is possible, not looking great… 

As if blowing a tire out on tow truck last week wasn't bad enough, I also had a o-ring on the pressure side of the power steering pump go bad, so I spent an hour yesterday under my duramax repairing that in between playing tractor salesman...  fun...     

• Sad 1

Finished new mounts for the Accusump and Coolshirt box. Nearly finished prepping a new set of wheels, need to finish stripping old paint. New window net is installed. Ready to align. Just need to fabricate the cover for the deadly Accusump hose and I'm ready for testing.

I think.

• Like 1

Tuesday:

Car

Poked @ wiper wiring, of course, stuck on wiper problem resolved itself, planning on installing switch inline of fuse if problem reemerges on raceday.

Started moving Volt gauge to more logical spot

Fixed carrier bearing heat shield

On a gut feeling, ordered spare front calipers from rock auto (never have had a proper set of spares)

Wednesday:

Car

Finished wiring volt gauge

Found/tightened leaking oil gauge

Drove it all day, lunch & work errands (50+ miles)

Realigned rear, amazing I could not feel 1/4in rear toe in (had not the chance after Mondays spindle/lower arm change)

Installed RR brake duct scoop, again...

Found LF caliper w/heavy fluid seep, cleaned up drip, cursed, checked tracking info on new calipers

Blasted home

Trailer

Finished drilling spare spindles for chosen calipers

Selected/mounted final 3 spare tires (5 total)

Thursday, the 4th of July:

Car

Checked tracking info on calipers and pads.

Buddy calls with urgent favor, drive car to work, quickly help buddy, ditch work.

Go to sponsors junkyard for spare alternator, find they crushed that row yesterday😟

Order new one 😕🤧

Blast home, love the way she feels, all tuned up, pre-race:wub:

Now 120 miles breaking in new tires.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

On a gut feeling, ordered spare front calipers from rock auto (never have had a proper set of spares)

How often do you change them?  I find fresh calipers contribute to better pad life so I just change them every other race and sometimes after every race.  But mine are $58 so I guess that makes it less of an issue to change that often.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Burningham said:

How often do you change them?  I find fresh calipers contribute to better pad life so I just change them every other race and sometimes after every race.  But mine are $58 so I guess that makes it less of an issue to change that often.

Every 2 or so years (10 races?) when the china/rock auto units fail...

Now you have me wondering, looking back, we switched to this caliper Sunday, February 21, 2016, warranted them November 22, 2016 for piston scoring/silver brake fluid/air leaking in/low brake pedal after race, these have lasted till last Charlotte, ordered another set July 2, 2019

Remember, nissan/infiniti seems overbuilt, we have only now, changed our first rear hub bearing. Yes, up till now, the units have been supplied when the car was built new... the replacement is from a parts car...

Edited by Team Infiniti

Spent some time making the car pretty(er) before Indy!!

Washed wheels, painted where old decals used to be, scrubbed off tire marks and stains, painted over bare spots.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Spent some time making the car pretty(er) before Indy!!

Washed wheels, painted where old decals used to be, scrubbed off tire marks and stains, painted over bare spots.

Must have quite a bit of time on your hands.... ;)

• Like 1

Today I will be going through all the spares, and catagorizing what needs to be. Starting to load the trailer.

that alone is an all day affair.

The car is 99% ready.....I think.

D616FE48-6531-4829-8A09-B46627FA5E9E.jpeg

• Like 4

4th took car to Road America for a quick shake down before Indy.  Broke a rear connecting arm, fixed in pits, went back out had a front brake caliper fail going into Canada Corner, ended up next to the tire wall in the gravel no damage but my underwear. Fixed in pits quick and back out for the remainder of the day for a successful day getting drivers comfortable in the new setup.

Now swap some fluids, throw on some new tires,finish loading trailer and Thursday head out to Indy!

• Like 2

All fluids changed, rad fan operational, new brake pads, new RS4's, pit equipment and car loaded in the trailer.  Next stop the Brickyard!

• Like 1

Got to work late, cursing because I had pads coming, find out tomorrows calipers are running early, missed both deliveries...  drivers must have been in a good mood this morning, found calipers at the shop to my left, the pads, shop on the right. :wub:

• Like 2

Working on the important stuff.. brought the car to the paintless dent removal guy to fix the rear quarter 😅

IMG_20190708_144701.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Got to work late, cursing because I had pads coming, find out tomorrows calipers are running early, missed both deliveries...  drivers must have been in a good mood this morning, found calipers at the shop to my left, the pads, shop on the right. :wub:

Pads on the right, calipers on the left...I suppose the rotors stuck in the middle...............

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

Working on the important stuff.. brought the car to the paintless dent removal guy to fix the rear quarter 😅

IMG_20190708_144701.jpg

#racerproblems

I wish I could worry about trailer dents...

• Haha 1

Today:

Car

Wiper power kill switch

New front calipers

Flush brake fluid

Truck

Finished organizing tool boxes

20 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

IMG_20190708_144701.jpg

My dent repair is also paintless, but i think we have different standards (and hammer sizes)

• Haha 6

Car siting untested since caliper install Monday, decide to take it home one more time, make sure everything gets settled...

No traffic, a few hard brakes and its getting better each time, 6 miles, half way home, nice and hot coming to a stop, grind, growl WTF now?

Forgot to check caliper to wheel spoke clearance of the rock auto/china calipers, apparently they swell a smidgen when hot <_<

Wheel off @ home, have to grind em before work in the morning.

Wednesday midday, ready as we are going to be, time to load, head out 10 pm.

Spare motor is in and we ran the car to temp ( 10-15 minutes ) at idle with no gear oil in the transmission. Hope I didn't do damage. 

Melted a connecting rod big end in our newly rebuilt motor after 5 hours :(

• Sad 1