MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

36 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

We did exactly that, works fine for us, but not gonna yuck on someones yum either.  We had issues with stock exhaust super heating our diffs and our fuel cell.  After lots of discussion, we now have an IMSA GTD inspired exhaust system that comes through a custom made firewall pass through, all encased in fire retardant material into a turbo style muffler, mounted in a custom box tight to the passenger side roll cage, and an outlet cut out of the rear of the passenger door.  Fully enclosed and seems to have solved all of our issues, and it is also quieter than the traditional out the rear system we were running.

Wow.  That is something I never noticed on your car.  Will definitely want to check it out this spring at R America 

Nothing good happened to my Champcar today. In fact, just the opposite... 

While scrubbing down my cylinder head for final assembly, the removal of a trace of carbon in the combustion chambers revealed 2 cracks in #1 cylinder, propagating from the spark plug hole to each exhaust valve seat. 

I, as well as the machine shop, missed these prior to having the porting, seat grinding, and milling operations done. 😞

I now have a lot of time and $$$ tied up into this head and don't really want to scrap it. 

I'll keep you posted on the solution, but sadness and frustration may be averted by a company in Florida I found on the Internet. I've welded aluminum cylinder heads in the past with mixed results. But the company I found has a Lifetime Warrany on cracked cylinder head repairs, and their quote was very reasonable to weld the cracks, replace the seats, install a threaded insert in the spark plug hole and resurface if necessary. I'll let you all know how it works out, and hopefully have a good shop to recommend...

image.jpeg

Edited by mcoppola
  • Sad 7

Just now, Wittenauer Racing said:

@IPF Racing Make sure you have some kind of check valve/backflow prevention, otherwise the one pump's pressure will just dump backwards thru the other pump.

Good catch Dylan - I wondered the same thing...

1 minute ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

@IPF Racing Make sure you have some kind of check valve/backflow prevention, otherwise the one pump's pressure will just dump backwards thru the other pump.

Way ahead of you! The black fittings are both check valves!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

Wow.  That is something I never noticed on your car.  Will definitely want to check it out this spring at R America 

This is the mock up pick.  It is now fully enclosed by a full bulkhead and covered in heat tape and other fire retardant materials.  We call it our pizza oven.  Oh, I should mention before anyone questions, it gets fresh air from the gap in the front of the door and  vents out the back side to help with the possibility of any CO build up.

Also, not going to be racing the spring RA race, we will be volunteering though, gonna see if they will let us do a bit of testing on the test day though.

IMG_4432.JPG

Edited by hotchkis23
added content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Switchable fuel pumps! 

Kmg5tZyzOgpHGI7rfle56iiCR1a6qkG83_KZPMnuYYtnZjB7Ih8mc0TzbyOZ6jhIbbtDDgP2z1xf5jNg6l6upeqX0evjqtUTUkslfd7c1Cnth8Z6Xmp3I88lmFS6d3hKTj2jLaGf0d9qYhKteBkAH4xSoUpCYh0SFv5pqp-NwsZEKCv5FBHRGUKYbTqOYOmNTHNtvzUn_YiCUylcPbsC3n8_aHTveUUDNox4pW7yPkZTg9yvAXawmPZwLhA4vHB2023T_IkeJdDG3VGY3ncByBehE7jXSBZZjjyorQJ6cR5IUgR3VMTUH57d1odnXgvdgmkjTniQ-9LdvS_MEPqs3ky1eKQkd79DaylT3fZcRNPxc7TszqI_gKYPOatI5zn4qo2hMY3oJWmwE_FzqbI67-Rn0C-de4YV0ZiOERveIKhyLj_--cVI41wZl2gqEah7mkGu8MTVYs0IG-w8JqO2w3dJIbYHMf7t8X7FzLPNs5JlxdBiuOECYt9mHwzvgICL0PY5fhlgsmrRrIzWZcf2B8AkBUPnU0QX3wFeooA2uHc7B91D7XkGxz4_ExhvvU9JNwprElQD36Vh_vROGqtxEI3K2UuKDqCvEHZ2RmDzqNg5YKuDEFzfgRWsoOaO2tNphIo3kNlXO9oP6rGciD3idVp1NQ=w456-h938-no

Same thing, cleaner package. I love my dual fuel pump, the one time I did have a failure in the system was at the VIR 24hr and the problem turned out to be the actual switch on the dash that selected which pump was active. That one took me a while to track down since it was intermittent and combined with a failed throttle position sensor which caused the ECU to go into flood clear mode and not inject any fuel during cranking. Stuff like that is what happens when you race a rotary with a cracked header, the heat starts killing everything.

pump.thumb.jpg.1ae7452db7c626d5668455e2d0970d7b.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Way ahead of you! The black fittings are both check valves!

I wondered about whether that's what those were... Nice job!!!

P.S. I'd like to come by the airport one day and check out your operation. I'm only a few miles from there and have also looked into renting space, after seeing you guys post about it one time.

1 minute ago, mhr650 said:

Same thing, cleaner package. I love my dual fuel pump, the one time I did have a failure in the system was at the VIR 24hr and the problem turned out to be the actual switch on the dash that selected which pump was active. That one took me a while to track down since it was intermittent and combined with a failed throttle position sensor which caused the ECU to go into flood clear mode and not inject any fuel during cranking. Stuff like that is what happens when you race a rotary with a cracked header, the heat starts killing everything.

pump.thumb.jpg.1ae7452db7c626d5668455e2d0970d7b.jpg

I remember seeing you post this and the envy is high! If I hadn't already invested in the pumps I would've gone this route!

1 minute ago, mcoppola said:

I wondered about whether that's what those were... Nice job!!!

P.S. I'd like to come by the airport one day and check out your operation. I'm only a few miles from there and have also looked into renting space, after seeing you guys post about it one time.

Thanks! You're welcome to come check it out whenever, just shoot me a message when you'd like to! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcoppola said:

Nothing good happened to my Champcar today. In fact, just the opposite... 

While scrubbing down my cylinder head for final assembly, the removal of a trace of carbon in the combustion chambers revealed 2 cracks in #1 cylinder, propagating from the spark plug hole to each exhaust valve seat. 

I, as well as the machine shop, missed these prior to having the porting, seat grinding, and milling operations done. 😞

I now have a lot of time and $$$ tied up into this head and don't really want to scrap it. 

I'll keep you posted on the solution, but sadness and frustration may be averted by a company in Florida I found on the Internet. I've welded aluminum cylinder heads in the past with mixed results. But the company I found has a Lifetime Warrany on cracked cylinder head repairs, and their quote was very reasonable to weld the cracks, replace the seats, install a threaded insert in the spark plug hole and resurface if necessary. I'll let you all know how it works out, and hopefully have a good shop to recommend...

image.jpeg

Don't toss in the towel yet! Find a shop that can do a pressure test on it. I assume you didn't have water in the oil or white smoke out the exhaust when using this head last so you weren't looking for cracks, and that there was no evidence of water leakage or washing out of carbon in those cracks.

It's not unusual to find cracks around the exhaust seats on aluminum heads, and it will depend on the head construction as to whether it's something to worry about or not. Can you see how far into the plug bore the cracks go?

Edited by mender

43 minutes ago, mender said:

Don't toss in the towel yet! Find a shop that can do a pressure test on it. I assume you didn't have water in the oil or white smoke out the exhaust when using this head last so you weren't looking for cracks, and that there was no evidence of water leakage or washing out of carbon in those cracks.

It's not unusual to find cracks around the exhaust seats on aluminum heads, and it will depend on the head construction as to whether it's something to worry about or not. Can you see how far into the plug bore the cracks go?

No evidence of any coolant in the oil, nor smoke, and before tearing the motor down, a radiator/cooling system pressure check showed no issues. We bought this car 4-5 years back with a bad head gasket, and I kind of wonder if the head has been cracked since way back then, as we've never overheated it.

I thought the same thing, that small cracks are somewhat common in some aluminum heads. I've toyed with the idea of running it as is...

But I'm concerned that even if it doesn't lead to water, when hot, compression may bypass the valve seat into the exhaust port, or worse yet, it may grow and loosen up the seat and drop a valve, etc. It's hard to tell how far down the crack goes. Visually it looks to be only about 1/4" deep, but the only way to know for sure is to put the heat to it when welding.

The Florida shop owner told me that this should be a fairly easy one for them to fix, the price quoted was fairly inexpensive, and he even offered free shipping both ways, so I'm thinking that's the route I might take.

• Like 1

Yes, it is odd and stock. The raised areas on each side of the plug hole are odd too, but hey, I'm not  a cylinder head designer...

What's really amazing is that if you'd seen the broken pistons that came out of #1 & 4 cylinders, you wouldn't believe there was no damage to the head's combustion chambers from it.

large.IMG_2347.JPG.5ba049a7012c6fb11d92d819d08526be.JPG

image.jpeg

Edited by mcoppola

42 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

We bought this car 4-5 years back with a bad head gasket, and I kind of wonder if the head has been cracked since way back then, as we've never overheated it.

I hope it can be saved! What is the name of that place?

Sebring September we ran all day @ 240deg, killed the rings and springs, the head gaskets may be slightly breached, it was cheaper to toss it aside in favor of another properly running unit.

The longer Im a tech the more I understand how heat kills, at this point (when talking about used, stock engines) I stick my nose up and refuse to fix at anything that has a rod knock or that has been overheated badly enough to need gaskets.

Plenty of cheap, clean replacements rather then focus on damaged goods.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Thanks 1

Car 603 looking pretty good too.  This one was a PCA Spec Boxster.  It will run in EC, as it has a few too many goodies for C class.  Depending on how Atlanta goes with 601, we may convert this car back to stock and run it in C.

179378268_603painted.thumb.jpg.7a0f6e1a8b9715832574d7edb36cd33f.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

Back from paint1464429927_601painted.thumb.jpg.b7fbf7fa14492bd9204337eb553d2c56.jpg

Is it just me or are you missing the hoop diagonal?

2 hours ago, rod rammage said:

Interesting 'crater' in between the intake valve seats. Is that stock?

Most likely an indexing divot to locate the raw casting for final machining.

2 hours ago, mcoppola said:

No evidence of any coolant in the oil, nor smoke, and before tearing the motor down, a radiator/cooling system pressure check showed no issues. We bought this car 4-5 years back with a bad head gasket, and I kind of wonder if the head has been cracked since way back then, as we've never overheated it.

I thought the same thing, that small cracks are somewhat common in some aluminum heads. I've toyed with the idea of running it as is...

But I'm concerned that even if it doesn't lead to water, when hot, compression may bypass the valve seat into the exhaust port, or worse yet, it may grow and loosen up the seat and drop a valve, etc. It's hard to tell how far down the crack goes. Visually it looks to be only about 1/4" deep, but the only way to know for sure is to put the heat to it when welding.

The Florida shop owner told me that this should be a fairly easy one for them to fix, the price quoted was fairly inexpensive, and he even offered free shipping both ways, so I'm thinking that's the route I might take.

I wouldn't hesitate to run it, have seen stuff like this with no failures. Cracks from impacts however ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

^^^SWEET!^^^ (x2)

@Round3Racing Do you guys do your own cage work Brad?

We did the black car and we modified the white one.  The white one had some really funky stuff happening in the doors.  So, we cut them out and did our own.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

This is the mock up pick.  It is now fully enclosed by a full bulkhead and covered in heat tape and other fire retardant materials.  We call it our pizza oven.  Oh, I should mention before anyone questions, it gets fresh air from the gap in the front of the door and  vents out the back side to help with the possibility of any CO build up.

Also, not going to be racing the spring RA race, we will be volunteering though, gonna see if they will let us do a bit of testing on the test day though.

IMG_4432.JPG

Is the exhaust going to terminate/exit behind the main cage hoop? 

Edited by Racer7x

Welp I did a thing yesterday. Hard to pass up a clean shell that has a fixed roof instead of a targa top. Looks like I'll be building a new cage and combining these cars before Road America.....

wVzD_93SrscVwcm9GDhCWBQxYDV-vO_KDqWmH8xaVYV2u4t24N-1HWomUHwG_wkSnDV9F53KUybJXUIsIcjQebIgz7Bs6yCuzlr1MkXYXTiuqUrlU7MaSMhAHJ0cEDuogMMG48-Lf-IzCpHXRyWFyTKXvekK4yZwn2dTqZPPE-pKp0johaEm8tsRXk2hIDb5OIEHAN-vTA17injXg8xU18zU1thkAorpchgxzHQXXCv95kXB4Rb2tomh9a9aeOluA_IBzGj2opIrSsCveQVddMOgIpihdYmxPyT4QZIapIFFjjX8MbRlSJAkO-dB2GTvpFzywgKE0A9Ne8w5k6IJuYzFdZKf-EJ4g9-VrUb1Ed6-PQ1xSTnVljYALyny0sloAfNMVW2eFvyEaeCLvT-4ut4LV2tGjjSv7TuDDshpxzZml4qfcyoiNgKi9q-K06pVY73s558_bVhLZN2kNsGauSMC3O6WuVU3HyNWr9SuuXzFLPkcueDee0vZE3mGEbMq4GUSSQsy0O92SAB1RhEn8zuqbXcEsraMwNKJsz_Uze6WGla11sofK3TaXqwTIh6K-ibdRLQpX-BoFrLJ6_DqbHcWUX1x45yykmngx1eokVpi_gTuzgkKYWQ0dzkcQ9n7Vtvz3vsV_P8GMvt5p0jyZbzh_A=w456-h938-no

Tt7BSkKerYE-DjfbUYygBZ6ToYxwHBsiOAfxp1hux99dl3s9bS7kXOmDEXYOYDPqD8EG19I-3kW1T3tvT1dbS3d19VvilfFdois_EPJcyCTTj73u_1iuVG7YMAIa2xnj4kNK7qUKGy5m0zepBaUCnPkB3MxkkfSxj03qCBvUH-xLcyWl_Z6RelGKc-ILn0oF2VgBsAx4zh4l6_4UsVdHxqaWxiGpb_nVCM5L42GnNA4WuIsvrG5O9ussGpY3TWVv44Icvz8l0_6KE5F4P4GowoWqiT8SsKnycv1FVHzLNlGCsqVAxPw9OKw40y9ka9A9HzFNocRVuVbGHouQKyUG5ZUbCQaMOtpJ4mXFziMr7cOtuk_QRCE9S0dd_WnqnKzcLVn2pxKXrxio05MMXv-c-yGGeRvgAdmC_cLkLiizpyJW9a8XsfV3BRtoluxZsp6a5uEQnWDakjmQaogK76lNNdJ0RYQ62JXCU_3SGdvZCiqARVpHVYx3tCz1LoqWkRKYS0AF8V805wKoCQ1hjgFBPiPTing2C8LYlYs5LBXSey8VOj1f4ePB_NSnZ7F_DFKaVVDzchiyxbYOnpcI89TXOMFXHVGbOn9mieYszeDfHu057nnKmz1RZg5UW2oTD-oeuT7KUG8HNTaX8igFhl39jZUMFQ=w456-h938-no

14 hours ago, Racer7x said:

Is the exhaust going to terminate/exit behind the main cage hoop? 

NO, we thought we'd loop it around and have is blow into the car through a NACA duct.    

This isn't new, and yes it meets the rules