MoparBoyy

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2019

New wheels, and pushed the heck out of the rear fenders.  Fronts only required a fender roll to fit comfortably.  We THINK we'll pass tech with the fenders pushed out - worse comes to worse some quick sheet metal work should satisfy the inspectors.  It's hard to tell in the photos, but if you look straight down, the tread is covered from 10 to 2, as best we could measure.  Thanks @mcoppola for selling us the wheels and @E. Tyler Pedersen for transporting them down the east coast for us.

Also went from standard contour front brakes to SVT Focus brakes.  More metal, better venting scheme (contour rotors had the vent on the front?  weird), hopefully, better brake pad wear.  Sadly, I don't have any pictures of that handy.

Oh yeah, and we patched up the passenger side to fix the damage done in our tire wall encounter at Daytona 2018.  Two new doors, some sheet metal, and a lot of bondo.

IMG_20190119_152353557_HDR-2672x1503.jpg

IMG_20190119_152358479_HDR-2672x1503.jpg

IMG_20190119_153106185_HDR-2672x1503.jpg

IMG_20190119_153112167_HDR-2672x1503.jpg

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2019 at 7:08 AM, krispykritter said:

New wheels, and pushed the heck out of the rear fenders.  Fronts only required a fender roll to fit comfortably.  We THINK we'll pass tech with the fenders pushed out - worse comes to worse some quick sheet metal work should satisfy the inspectors.  It's hard to tell in the photos, but if you look straight down, the tread is covered from 10 to 2, as best we could measure.  Thanks @mcoppola for selling us the wheels and @E. Tyler Pedersen for transporting them down the east coast for us.

Also went from standard contour front brakes to SVT Focus brakes.  More metal, better venting scheme (contour rotors had the vent on the front?  weird), hopefully, better brake pad wear.  Sadly, I don't have any pictures of that handy.

Oh yeah, and we patched up the passenger side to fix the damage done in our tire wall encounter at Daytona 2018.  Two new doors, some sheet metal, and a lot of bondo.

IMG_20190119_152353557_HDR-2672x1503.jpg

IMG_20190119_152358479_HDR-2672x1503.jpg

IMG_20190119_153106185_HDR-2672x1503.jpg

IMG_20190119_153112167_HDR-2672x1503.jpg

What car is that?

Curious if it would work to just add some thick plastic around. Would look ugly

14 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Looks great! Thanks for keeping the decals on point per @Bill Strong's info

Not sure why so many people can't follow directions.. lol

• Like 1

Productive day today!

Starting off. fabed up some brackets for the new fuel rail and attached it and the nice new (rebuilt) injectors to the squeaky clean intake manifold:

IMG_0886.thumb.jpg.c07d62af774068bec44e6391e0e41c8e.jpg

then moved on to putting the top of the motor back together....awwwww yiiisssss.....:

IMG_0888.thumb.jpg.351f023cb57e4246c770497ca268ca34.jpg

you might notice those LS2 smart coils :)......can't go '80's dizzy with a nice new AEM ECU! (side note: i cheesed out and blew off the cam sensor for now, so wasted spark only...)...threw in a valve adjustment too while i had the cover off...

ran out of steam/time to get the headers on. that'll happen sometime this week. 

I'm still in denial on the fuel line in drivers compartment topic, so punching out other stuff until i feel like dealing with it....

Edited by atxe30
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atxe30 said:

you might notice those LS2 smart coils :)......can't go '80's dizzy with a nice new AEM ECU! (side note: i cheesed out and blew off the cam sensor for now, so wasted spark only...)...threw in a valve adjustment too while i had the cover off...

ran out of steam/time to get the headers on. that'll happen sometime this week. 

I'm still in denial on the fuel line in drivers compartment topic, so punching out other stuff until i feel like dealing with it....

So, are the 6 coils 10 points each, or 10 points total?

1 hour ago, ABR-Glen said:

BCCR assigns a gross value to ignition replacement. so its 20 points total to flush the OEM system. The irony of course is that my new setup was prob like 30-40% cheaper than replacing the worn out 30 year old OEM setup.

That said, I'm so far past caring after the suspension thing, i'm just having fun building a race car.. :)

Edited by atxe30
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

I would call it zero points. Those are not performance aftermarket coils as called out in the rules, they are just cheap OEM coils. I would say they are part of making the zero point ECU work.

In reality the coil rule in the rule book is outdated, just like how in the past the rule book even included points for plug wires….. the days when you could install an Accell Super Coil on your distributor with points and maybe see a performance difference are long gone. Many of the zero points ECU’s out there don’t even have coil drivers since they are intended to work with the many cheap smart coils out there, either the GM Ls coils or many different smart pencil coils for DOHC applications.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

I would call it zero points. Those are not performance aftermarket coils as called out in the rules, they are just cheap OEM coils. I would say they are part of making the zero point ECU work.

In reality the coil rule in the rule book is outdated, just like how in the past the rule book even included points for plug wires….. the days when you could install an Accell Super Coil on your distributor with points and maybe see a performance difference are long gone. Many of the zero points ECU’s out there don’t even have coil drivers since they are intended to work with the many cheap smart coils out there, either the GM Ls coils or many different smart pencil coils for DOHC applications.

I got a rolling just a couple weeks ago about coils like this. Stock coils from a different vehicle were still points. 

14 minutes ago, Originalsterm said:

I got a rolling just a couple weeks ago about coils like this. Stock coils from a different vehicle were still points. 

I am not surprised, but it is just another one of those dumb rulings. Injectors are free but coils cost points?

1 minute ago, mhr650 said:

I am not surprised, but it is just another one of those dumb rulings. Injectors are free but coils cost points?

You wouldn't change it unless there was an advantage. But I agree with you, why some items and not others?

31 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

When I asked tech what the point value was for a coil on plug conversion I was told it would fall under this:

• Distributor, non-OE, or aftermarket ignition system: 20 pts

Definitely not 0 points. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, red0 said:

When I asked tech what the point value was for a coil on plug conversion I was told it would fall under this:

• Distributor, non-OE, or aftermarket ignition system: 20 pts

Definitely not 0 points. 

yup, 20 points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eman911 said:

What drove the stock coils?

When electronic ignitions first started coming into the market they used something called an igniter, it was basically a high current transistor that could use the trigger signal to generate a high current signal to the coil. The earliest versions had the igniter built into the distributor, the next evolution was to have igniters for multiple coils built into the ECU, where we are now is that the coils have igniters built in. Modern smart coils like the GM LS coils, or many different stick coils have both a high current wire and a low current signal wire running to them.

A  good example is the M42, it has 4 individual coils mounted on the body with spark plug wires going to the plugs. The stock BMW ECU has igniters built into the box and sends the high current signal to the coils to fire. You can mount the stock M42 coils onto the plugs with a little grinding for a coil on plug system, but if you want to use a modern ECU without igniters built into the box you have to use a separate igniter box to take the signal from the ECU and step up the current to work with the stock coils. It would be much easier to use various coils from a Volkswagen or Honda that already have the igniters built in to the coils. You end up in the same place you just have to spend more in real money to avoid spending points.

50 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

When electronic ignitions first started coming into the market they used something called an igniter, it was basically a high current transistor that could use the trigger signal to generate a high current signal to the coil. The earliest versions had the igniter built into the distributor, the next evolution was to have igniters for multiple coils built into the ECU, where we are now is that the coils have igniters built in. Modern smart coils like the GM LS coils, or many different stick coils have both a high current wire and a low current signal wire running to them.

A  good example is the M42, it has 4 individual coils mounted on the body with spark plug wires going to the plugs. The stock BMW ECU has igniters built into the box and sends the high current signal to the coils to fire. You can mount the stock M42 coils onto the plugs with a little grinding for a coil on plug system, but if you want to use a modern ECU without igniters built into the box you have to use a separate igniter box to take the signal from the ECU and step up the current to work with the stock coils. It would be much easier to use various coils from a Volkswagen or Honda that already have the igniters built in to the coils. You end up in the same place you just have to spend more in real money to avoid spending points.

And the nice thing is the LS2 coils are cheap. Think I paid 150 for all six of them.

My point is that he is using a non OE ignition system (20 pts) and non OE coils (10 pts), even if the ignitor, amplifier or ignition control module (take your pick) is part of the coils or ECU. At least that is the way it has been applied in the past.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eman911 said:

My point is that he is using a non OE ignition system (20 pts) and non OE coils (10 pts), even if the ignitor, amplifier or ignition control module (take your pick) is part of the coils or ECU. At least that is the way it has been applied in the past.

I think he said in an earlier post that they planned on running EC because of suspension mods so I don't think the added points matter much.