hotchkis23

Swap Calculator is Live!

Is it accurate?  

I just plugged in a 1990 Miata swap, and it told me my starting VPI is 300 plus 75 for the swap for a total of 375.

Make: Mazda
Model: Miata
Year: 1990
VPi: 300
Car Weight: 2048
Original HP: 116
New HP: 158
Points Added to VPi: 75
--->NEW VPI: 375

Looking at the VPI table, the 1990 Miata starts at 250.

Which one is correct?

Looks like it's using the '94 Miata as the base model for a swap.

Edited by mender

21 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

We are still a go for e30 Infiniti v6 auto ūüôÉ

You should go for a Chrysler K-car, the swap weights on those are even more wacky!  Curb weight (not swap weight) by normal sources is 2300 lbs yet the swap calculator allows 230 hp for only 281 points total. Can you say SRT-4 K-car? I knew you could. :P

Given that the swap calculator has been checked and approved for 2019, I guess Champcar really does like domestics. ;)

Edited by mender

Just now, Team Infiniti said:

Im not that good.

Sure you are. Actually a really good chassis, it was the mule for the turbo Daytona.

Just think of it as a SRT-4 Neon but without the extra 1448 points. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mender said:

Actually a really good chassis

I will agree the chassis was likely the least of a K-owners worries.

Still, no, we want some lightweight, autobahn bred junk to roll our favorite powerplant around the turns.

Oh, not to mention

Wrong Wheel Drive

Want a giggle, go to the lemons forum and look up "K it forward"

Edited by Team Infiniti

4 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I will agree the chassis was likely the least of a K-owners worries.

Still, no, we want some lightweight, autobahn bred junk to roll our favorite powerplant around the turns.

Oh, not to mention

Wrong Wheel Drive

Want a giggle, go to the lemons forum and look up "K it forward"

I thought your favorite powerplant had 8 cylinders.

A turbo Daytona at the K-car points would be fun!

I wonder if the spreadsheet its using for inputs will be made available.  A little bit of crowd-sourced peer review might help.

Edit: nevermind; found it.

Edited by DaveH

4 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Well, RX7's dont use the S5 value if swapping into an S4 in the calculator.....

Same as Honda/Acura non-vtec versions don't use the vtec value, or the 944 doesn't take the later 400pt. value, not even talking the "S", still the base 944. 

FYI, some swap values have been changed since last night.  It appears all 1995+ integras take the Type R value, previous use the GSR 325pts., 13B RX-7's all take the 300pt. value, 944 however does not take the later 400pt value for their platform....did not look too much further however.

P.S., I'm obviously an affected team with the miata, however I am all for the platform swap being applied as the rule states, just want to see it equal across the board.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I tried a few combos and found these

Platforms that follow rule 4.5.6:

All BMW

Mustang/Thunderbird

FC RX7

Acura Integra (any swapped 3rd gen Integra is 500pts?!?)

NA Miata

Platforms exempt from 4.5.6:

Saab 9-3

MR2

93-03 VW Golf

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CabotTeg118 said:

I tried a few combos and found these

Platforms that follow rule 4.5.6:

All BMW

Mustang/Thunderbird

FC RX7

Acura Integra (any swapped 3rd gen Integra is 500pts?!?)

NA Miata

Platforms exempt from 4.5.6:

Saab 9-3

MR2

93-03 VW Golf

This is a problem, the rules have to be applied equally to makes

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

When I checked last night, the listed VPI for an mr2 swap was 250, and the common ~190 hp V6 swap yielded +66 for 316 pts. total, even though the VPI table shows 200 for the MR2. ASSUMING THERE ISN'T A MISTAKE HERE, I guess they thought the base MR2 needed to stay at 200, but recognized that once swapped, the MR2 was undervalued.

As I‚Äôve said before, the swap formula is a square peg trying to fit a round hole. I think¬†changes like this (or¬†changes to the weight table) are necessary¬†to ‚Äėfudge‚Äô the points appropriately. I would appreciate word changes in the rulebook to reflect that this kind of fudging may take place.¬†

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 5

The real issue of fixing the cars such as ours is only part of the problem. Looking down the road if Champ is really trying to level the field for all then they need a solid adjustment

to two of the noted non -adjusted platforms. Until they fix the MR2 and the Porsche the speed creep will continue to find ways to catch those two platforms and maybe a couple others.

These adjustments might have to come from raising the VPI and maybe fixing the correct weights in the calculator. 

As Nate said with the MR2 the 190 hp gives no really effect to points total and I think you can get near 220 hp before you go over 500 points, so power to weight goes to what????

With the race weight maybe in the range of 10:1 or less.

Glad to see the changes and I know it effects many cars with ours included but it seems to be the right start. Just need to keep going since all cars need a deep look. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, enginerd said:

When I checked last night, the listed VPI for an mr2 swap was 250, and the common ~190 hp V6 swap yielded +66 for 316 pts. total, even though the VPI table shows 200 for the MR2. ASSUMING THERE ISN'T A MISTAKE HERE, I guess they thought the base MR2 needed to stay at 200, but recognized that once swapped, the MR2 was undervalued.

I know I picked my friggin' car, but they're really sticking with the theory that a 190hp v6 mr2 at 316 points isn't as fast (or faster) than a 190hp v6 240SX at 406 points?  Or a 358 point Rx7 @ the same power?

Wow.

• Like 4

See my thread on the Miata swap value.  All NAs now take the 1.8 value in a swap.  But we also get the 1.8 benefits over the 1.6 as well.  

22 minutes ago, enginerd said:

As I‚Äôve said before, the swap formula is a square peg trying to fit a round hole. I think¬†changes like this (or¬†changes to the weight table) are necessary¬†to ‚Äėfudge‚Äô the points appropriately. I would appreciate word changes in the rulebook to reflect that this kind of fudging may take place.¬†

Personally, I'd like to see the opposite. Put the weights in according to the official information source then stop playing with them; that's what VPi adjustments were supposed to be for.

It would be nice to go through the swap weight list and be able to check the weights used against the "official" source to verify that the correct weight was used. For instance, it would be easy to point out that the MR2 NA and MR2 turbo should have different weights for swap purposes, and that if the proper weights were used, the VPi of the MR2 NA could remain at 200 points instead of being "adjusted" to make up for the weight "adjustment".

If the swap calculator used the proper MR2 NA weight, the 190 hp swap would add 128 points to the base 200 points, resulting in 318 points. This is almost exactly the same as the double adjusted result that enginerd got, indicating that the swap formula will do the job it was meant to do but only if it isn't messed with! These background manipulations to "fix" problems are self-inflicted! This double-dipping is the problem, not the cure!

So who cares, you say, it's the same either way but the issue is that it puts the MR2 swap lower on the steep ramp that is the essence of the swap calculator. Swap in 190 hp and the difference is only 2 points at 316 pts now vs 318 pts with the proper numbers and un-adjusted VPi; swap in 200 hp and now it's 357 points vs 452 points, almost 100 points difference! People are freaking out about 7 points yet the MR2 gets an extra 100! 

Fix the problems that are caused by incorrect swap weights by using the correct weights, not by adding yet another level of "adjustment" and the swap calculator might work the way it's supposed to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, 55mini said:

The real issue of fixing the cars such as ours is only part of the problem. Looking down the road if Champ is really trying to level the field for all then they need a solid adjustment

to two of the noted non -adjusted platforms. Until they fix the MR2 and the Porsche the speed creep will continue to find ways to catch those two platforms and maybe a couple others.

These adjustments might have to come from raising the VPI and maybe fixing the correct weights in the calculator. 

As Nate said with the MR2 the 190 hp gives no really effect to points total and I think you can get near 220 hp before you go over 500 points, so power to weight goes to what????

With the race weight maybe in the range of 10:1 or less.

With the correct weight, a 220 hp NA MR2 would add 796 points for a total of 996 points.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

The big MR2 jump is around 210, puts it to 447, 220 makes it over 600pts as it sits.

At 610 to be exact, compared to 996 points for the proper NA weight.