hotchkis23

Swap Calculator is Live!

Just now, TiredBirds said:

well then make it illegal to remove. There are other stamping on the body... but really why go thru the hassle? 

VIN does not matter, that is why the platform swap stuff is in the rules. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

E30s have different transmissions as well but still have to take the highest 325i models when swapping.

Tyler,

I wasn't commenting about swap values.  I merely corrected someone's false assertions that the only difference between a base and S 944 are the engines. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

well then make it illegal to remove. There are other stamping on the body... but really why go thru the hassle? 

Technically it’s already a federal law not to ever do that.

Saying that 

It’s a race car, pick your trim level and pay the appropriate points, nobody  gives a poop about the Vin plate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh boy

Is this Groundhog  Day?

Couple of thoughts

Every argument made about the platform swapping should apply across the board.  The original idea came about because the "body in white" is the same on an e30 regardless of what number and letter combination comes next.  So once upon a time someone clever thought to themselves.  "Self, I should put an m50 in this car and tell everyone I started with a 318, my points will be less than a 325,  yep self that"s what you should do"  So the rule gods said, "while that's clever we don't like your sneaky ways and will make you take the 325 points, we don't give a steaming pile what you started with"     So to be fair, the body in white is the same or very very close on a 1.6 vs 1.8 Miata and we now get treated the same as the E30.....well except for that pesky weight thing.    That's cool and makes sense.  There are others that are getting this same treatment too I think.   

Now for the MR2 and Porsche, the old saying "I am rubber and you are glue, whatever you say bounces of me and sticks to you"  seems to fit.  I don't understand it, it seems to be a natural unexplained law of physics or something.  Similar to how a dropped bolt always goes under the bench or to the exact middle of the underside of the car you're working on.  I think I just have to accept it.

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

I think I just have to accept it.

If you really think something is wrong, I would highly suggest writing a petition to correct the problem instead of accepting it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, red0 said:

If you really think something is wrong, I would highly suggest writing a petition to correct the problem instead of accepting it. 

or protesting

Just now, red0 said:

I have in the past, went to a fair amount of work putting real live facts together, even did math and a spreadsheet ( because I thought all problems were solved with a spreadsheet).  I likely will again in the future....as soon as I have few moments in my life that I'm ok giving up.    You know after I've done important things like count the toothpicks.  

I have a short list of petitions I plan on putting together that I think will be productive.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Like blocking the interstate?  That sort of protest?   

BrownEducatedHornedtoad-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, red0 said:

Write a petition to make everybody follow the rulebook?  This rule IS IN the rulebook.  Why does whoever wrote the calculator ignore it for some vehicles?

No hostility directed at you.  Just trying to explain the frustration....

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Write a petition to make everybody follow the rulebook?  This rule IS IN the rulebook.  Why does whoever wrote the calculator ignore it for some vehicles?

I am a competitor the same as you, and probably even more frustrated then you are. 

I am not aware of a good explanation, maybe one exists but I don't have it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, red0 said:

maybe one exists

We all know one does, but we will never see it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, red0 said:

I am a competitor the same as you, and probably even more frustrated then you are. 

I am not aware of a good explanation, maybe one exists but I don't have it. 

I heart you!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I'll posit that this all may not be intentional.  Did anyone peer review the calculator or was it just Bill whacking his keyboard composing HTML code in his basement? 

From a coding standpoint, getting this right on the first try has about zero probability of happening.  That's why they have beta testing for real software.  I would send in anything you think is an error.

• Like 1

Error are being found and corrected today.  Please let Bill know.  Us Miata owners thought we had an error too, but no, we didn't haha.  It's all good.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, DaveH said:

I'll posit that this all may not be intentional.  Did anyone peer review the calculator or was it just Bill whacking his keyboard composing HTML code in his basement? 

From a coding standpoint, getting this right on the first try has about zero probability of happening.  That's why they have beta testing for real software.  I would send in anything you think is an error.

The calculator is being updated as a soft roll-out so some of the brands have not yet been done. Someone pointed out that the Saabs appear to be exempt from the 4.5.6 type rule. I think that brand just has low priority as there are few if any swapped saabs. 

I also don't think Bill is working on this, but even without Bill there will be mistakes made so please point them out if you see them. 

Edited by red0

14 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Except these exceptions that have folks scratching their heads are not new.  the head scratching is causing bald spots it been happening for so long

• Like 2

Just now, JDChristianson said:

Except these exceptions that have folks scratching their heads are not new.  the head scratching is causing bald spots it been happening for so long

Send Mike a note.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

because I thought all problems were solved with a spreadsheet

All problems CAN be solved with a spreadsheet!  Get out of here with your blasphemy!   

Edited by snowman
can't spell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, snowman said:

All problems CAN be solved with a spreadsheet!  Get out of here with your blasphemy!   

And if the boss tells you the answer, you can make a spreadsheet prove it...............not that I ever did corporate financial forecasting...................

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, red0 said:

The calculator is being updated as a soft roll-out so some of the brands have not yet been done.

Can you divulge where you recieved this pearl of wisdom from?

Why wasnt this listed with the calculator when it was made live?  Would have saved a bunch of heartache!

49 minutes ago, Jer said:

Error are being found and corrected today.  Please let Bill know.  Us Miata owners thought we had an error too, but no, we didn't haha.  It's all good.  

Bill Strong merely publishes whatever the boss tells him to. Errors and questions need to be directed to the TAC, BoD, and most importantly to our CEO. 

TAC has been bringing some issues to light all day (and for months!) with members assistance. Please keep in mind that we are only an advisory committee. But I can assure you that many of us feel that we are customer advocates, and your voices are being heard, and comments are being forwarded. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Bill Strong merely publishes whatever the boss tells him to. Errors and questions need to be directed to the TAC, BoD, and most importantly to our CEO. 

TAC has been bringing some issues to light all day (and for months!) with members assistance. Please keep in mind that we are only an advisory committee. But I can assure you that many of us feel that we are customer advocates, and your voices are being heard, and comments are being forwarded. 

Watch it messenger....you know what happened to the last guy right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Can you divulge where you recieved this pearl of wisdom from?

Why wasnt this listed with the calculator when it was made live?  Would have saved a bunch of heartache!

It wasn't intended to be a soft launch, but with members' help, issues are being found. Some are being corrected and some are being discussed as to the reasons why they are the way they are. Thanks to everyone for helping with this process and being patient enough to have not blown up from getting seriously ticked off by it. 

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1

Just now, mcoppola said:

It wasn't intended to be a soft launch, but with members' help, issues are being found. Some are being corrected and some are being discussed as to the reasons why they are the way they are. Thanks to everyone for helping with this process and being patient enough to have not blown up being seriously ticked off by it. 

These cars (that are the same ones we have been talking about for months) were not updated to work correctly, what WAS changed in the last 4 to 6 months that we have been waiting for the updated calculator?

Im curious if there were other changes too.  Will there be a list of the changes from the 2018 calculator to the 2019 calculator?