Bill Strong

2019 Official Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta 14-Hour

39 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

He will also stay up the entire way and talk to you while you drive during the night... 😁

You were pretty tired and driving my truck....

15 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

You were pretty tired and driving my truck....

Well excuse me mister thought I made a wrong turn but I didn't.

• Like 1

WUDU will be missing this event and it makes me sad.  But that being said we will see you in Charlotte and INDY.  Good luck fellas!! Road ATL is one of my favorite tracks!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

WUDU will be missing this event and it makes me sad.  But that being said we will see you in Charlotte and INDY.  Good luck fellas!! Road ATL is one of my favorite tracks!

You can still work the event and earn race creds...

https://champcar.org/mainweb/volunteer/

We have two new drivers, will they be allowed to run test day without having classroom session? We will provide much emphatic sage advice hoping to keep car in running condition.  iS it safe to assume that as long as they are members and signed up on the team that we can get them an armband Thursday evening? Thanks al 

If I remember correctly, for the last couple of years the firs test session was a no passing session.  This would be the ideal time to get them on the track.  Their first time in the 11-12 section is going to be a true pucker moment if they have never driven that track.  They probably dont want to be more than 60% on their first couple of laps.

5 hours ago, manicmiata96 said:

We have two new drivers, will they be allowed to run test day without having classroom session? We will provide much emphatic sage advice hoping to keep car in running condition.  iS it safe to assume that as long as they are members and signed up on the team that we can get them an armband Thursday evening? Thanks al 

My recollection is that newbies are always allowed in the test sessions 

With that being said, I would encourage the following:

make sure they have studied up on what the flags mean.  I think Bill posted a thread on that so use the search function to find it. 

Have your car and drivers ready early so you can roll as soon as the track goes green.  It will be emptiest at that time and safer as a result 

Do they have any track experience at all?  HPDE?

The last race at RA was point by passing only. The problem is that newer drivers who have never driven on a track before go ~60% and everyone wants to go much faster so passing without point byes happens a ton. It's definitely information overload to learn a new car that you've never driven without ever driving on a track while at the same time knowing to point by all of the other cars.

Flags - https://champcar.org/mainweb/pdf/Flags-2019.pdf

They should read the rules. there are a lot of things in there that all racers need to know. Not just car building.

https://champcar.org/mainweb/pdf/2019ChampCarBCCR.pdf

Back in the early Champcar days...  new drivers learned the track Saturday morning when the green flag waved...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Justin9 said:

Back in the early Champcar days...  new drivers learned the track Saturday morning when the green flag waved...

I’m guessing here but I think the lap average of the field is about 10 seconds per lap faster than the “early” days, with half of that because the cars are faster and half of that because the talent level is higher (many of the same people, but substantially more experienced).  That is a notable difference in speed (and the number of cars that will blow by a complete newbie per lap).  It is very sensible to try to get some track laps in before the green these days.  

9 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

Will Tech be open Thursday night?

Has been in the past. 

49 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

Will Tech be open Thursday night?

You show every sign of being a Virginia Tech grad. :)

Since the beginning of time, ChampCar has made event supplementals that list the event schedule.
https://champcar.org/register/supplementalrules/368.pdf

Page 2 of 8...

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 12.33.57 PM.png

• Like 1

I don't know, this method seemed to be a lot less work for him, and he still got the answer. Maybe you're the VT grad, Bill.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, LAMR2 said:

Maybe you're the VT grad, Bill.

hahahahahahaha  

hahahahahahahahhahahaha

hahahaha

hahahaha

ha!

On 1/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, Justin9 said:

Still one of this biggest thrills in racing for me and I have a MUCH better finishing record from tracks I've never seen until green than places I've driven for years. 

25 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I will not be making this event now, but good news for you all is that I will be watching the entire live stream with @55mini, @JDChristianson and @hotchkis23 in Iowa.  Be on your best behavior :) 

Whoot

Should be fun.    

Hmm, drinking game thoughts?   a shot every time @Doc talks about dead cats.   (Note, I'm really too old for drinking games, recovery would take a very long time)

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Whoot

Should be fun.    

Hmm, drinking game thoughts?   a shot every time @Doc talks about dead cats.   (Note, I'm really too old for drinking games, recovery would take a very long time)

Don't start writing checks you can't cash :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I will not be making this event now, but good news for you all is that I will be watching the entire live stream with @55mini, @JDChristianson and @hotchkis23 in Iowa.  Be on your best behavior :) 

Are you taking the E30 up there for more of Mark's magic?

2 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Are you taking the E30 up there for more of Mark's magic?

Nah I can handle the off season work this year.  He just helped out tremendously when the fire happened at Gingerman.  Without him I don't know if I would have even raced last year in my car.  I was not in a good spot that weekend.  Just going to hang out with some of my great ChampCar friends :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1