Bill Strong

2019 Official Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta 14-Hour

Sounds good! If it wasn't so far, I'd join you guys, but I've still got a lot of work to do. We can comment back and forth on the youtube feed.

Side note to @E. Tyler Pedersen - Have you ever heard, or been to Bronner's in Frankenmuth, MI? My wife and I took a trip there yesterday, and I found something that suits you to a tee.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:15 AM, JDChristianson said:

a shot every time @Doc talks about dead cats.

I try and work it in only once per day.

Then again, A shot every time @Bill Strong mentions a MR2 would kill a man.

• Haha 8

har har.
I told you. I won't say it MR2 again, on air.

We will talk about how to take a fast line without hitting a wall. over and over

• Haha 3

I see you all are 'keepin' it real'. 

On 1/22/2019 at 8:33 AM, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Just going to hang out with some of my great ChampCar friends :) 

Uh-huh. 

I was looking at the sups for the race and don't know if this was over looked or not. Will the one way in one way out pattern be enforced for entry/exit of the paddock?

7 hours ago, gsmith2424 said:

I was looking at the sups for the race and don't know if this was over looked or not. Will the one way in one way out pattern be enforced for entry/exit of the paddock?

I would certainly hope so.

Just now, Bill Strong said:

Unless it is me. I just go where I want.

I brought it up as the paddock hill on the T-12 side is pretty steep as compared to the T-1 side and has been one way in one way out for any race I've been there for when the pro paddock has been used. Also makes it easier to ensure you don't have two cars going opposite direction meeting up on a road that is only wide enough for one car. Also will the permanent restrooms that are above the pro paddock be open or will we just have portable ones in the paddock?

5 minutes ago, gsmith2424 said:

I brought it up as the paddock hill on the T-12 side is pretty steep as compared to the T-1 side and has been one way in one way out for any race I've been there for when the pro paddock has been used. Also makes it easier to ensure you don't have two cars going opposite direction meeting up on a road that is only wide enough for one car. Also will the permanent restrooms that are above the pro paddock be open or will we just have portable ones in the paddock?

No clue until we get there on Thursday. Just plan on nothing working or being open and all will be good. This is the way I now plan all our media stuff for 2019. That way I am happy if I have all the stuff I need. and have plans in place if I don't.

23 hours ago, gsmith2424 said:

I brought it up as the paddock hill on the T-12 side is pretty steep as compared to the T-1 side and has been one way in one way out for any race I've been there for when the pro paddock has been used. Also makes it easier to ensure you don't have two cars going opposite direction meeting up on a road that is only wide enough for one car. 

Yes, the actual entry to the pro paddock is closer to T1 and the exit from the pro paddock is on the other side, closer to T12. 

And I would actually say the entry hill is steeper and teams should exercise caution at the bottom of that hill if it's wet when entering the paddock.

The upside is we won't have to lug up and down a hill when going from the trailer to the pit stall. 

• Like 1

DiscoveryParts, a ChampCar Partner, will be bringing their “Mobile Technology Center” (big support trailer) to the Road Atlanta February 8-9 event.

If there is anything special you would like us to bring, please let us know before Wednesday end of day as the trailer leaves early Thursday. We already have a very full will-call box and thank you for the support of our company.

New for 2019 Hans Recertification, even Trackside - https://www.discoveryparts.com/hans-device-recertify/4459-hans-device-recertification.html

New 2019 ChampCar Rule - SFI Roll Bar Padding - be prepared - https://www.discoveryparts.com/auto-racing-roll-bar-padding-/904-longacre-sfi-roll-bar-padding-longacre-65169.html

Thanks once again and we look forward to seeing everyone at warm, sunny Road Atlanta.

www.discoveryparts.com

706-344-1235

Our #1 category for ChampCar Members, no surprise :

https://www.discoveryparts.com/15__auto-racing-closeout-and-clearance

ChampCar Discount Code for 2019 -

https://www.discoveryparts.com/content/17-press-release-discoveryparts-announced-as-official-champcar-endurance-series-supporter

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

DiscoveryParts, a ChampCar Partner, will be bringing their “Mobile Technology Center” (big support trailer) to the Road Atlanta February 8-9 event.

If there is anything special you would like us to bring, please let us know before Wednesday end of day as the trailer leaves early Thursday. We already have a very full will-call box and thank you for the support of our company.

New for 2019 Hans Recertification, even Trackside - https://www.discoveryparts.com/hans-device-recertify/4459-hans-device-recertification.html

New 2019 ChampCar Rule - SFI Roll Bar Padding - be prepared - https://www.discoveryparts.com/auto-racing-roll-bar-padding-/904-longacre-sfi-roll-bar-padding-longacre-65169.html

Thanks once again and we look forward to seeing everyone at warm, sunny Road Atlanta.

www.discoveryparts.com

706-344-1235

Our #1 category for ChampCar Members, no surprise :

https://www.discoveryparts.com/15__auto-racing-closeout-and-clearance

ChampCar Discount Code for 2019 -

https://www.discoveryparts.com/content/17-press-release-discoveryparts-announced-as-official-champcar-endurance-series-supporter

Tell them to load that trailer down with HANS recerts. I need one. 

For real, though- that's super cool they can do that for us. I'm getting that done and then spending more dough w/ them on other stuff down there because they support us so loyally. Let's see: I could use some nomex socks. Do they sell fresh attitudes? Anyway. thanks for posting this Bill. Recert and socks and we'll see what else....

4 hours ago, KoneKillah said:

Looking to be a dry track so far with temps much better than last year. It is probably too early to bet on that yet, though.

Now you have done it...NEVER post positive statements on the weather. Mother Nature sees that as a challenge here in the South....hourly, even.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Now you have done it...NEVER post positive statements on the weather. Mother Nature sees that as a challenge here in the South....hourly, even.

The temperature in Chicago yesterday was -30. Not the windchill, the actual temperature. 

3 hours ago, red0 said:

The temperature in Chicago yesterday was -30. Not the windchill, the actual temperature. 

lived there the first 30+ years of my life.. will never move back.  Florida for life!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lethal Cliff said:

Are Campers going to be allowed in the paddock area?  If not where will we be?

Good question. The Pro paddock is much smaller than the club paddock (the trade off is it's flat?) so it will be crowded with 80+ teams. I would say to please be considerate and let the transporters/trailers park first but of course this is not often possible. Several of the CCES staff will be getting there early to talk with the track and see what is possible/feasible given current "conditions" at the facility. This is a first for ALL of us so please be patient and friendly as always. I'm sure we wlll get the word out as soon as we know.

• Like 2

There are a few paved, decent sized areas slightly up the hill from the main paddock that may be able to accommodate a number of RV's. 

But agree with Doc that the transporters/trailers should be parked first before people start taking up real estate with campers and RV's. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lethal Cliff said:

Are Campers going to be allowed in the paddock area?  If not where will we be?

The top of the hill above the pro paddock is some nice flat area.   During Petit they have hospitality and car corrals up there.   Probably some nice views.

• Like 1

The 2019 season is here!  
Get your team ready for an 
exciting time on famous Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta!

c0b6a69a-d609-4b52-b228-9fb6a3eea769.jpg

I'm not sure what you did in the "off-season", but things have been busy here.  Each year we kick off the season with a trip to Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta and it's that time again.  We've got 82 competitive teams looking to score the first win of the 2019 season, so read on to make your trip a little more organized. 

Gates - Gates will open at 5pm Thursday evening.   

Paddock - We are in the PRO paddock this year!  While Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta builds a new control tower, the club paddock is closed.  You will make your way through the main gate, up the hill and then over the T12 bridge to get into the infield.  Make your way down the access road and into the Pro Paddock.  Space is first come, first served, but there is enough room as long as you don't sprawl out and set up a base camp for military operations.  

Weather - It will quite likely dip below freezing at night, so we are allowing teams to run a 10% antifreeze solution in their radiators for this event.

Lights - Headlights are required for this event as we will be checkering the race at 10pm.  

Tech - Unless you were one of the few who tech'd at Sebring on NYE, then all cars will need to be tech'd.  Bring all your paperwork filled out.  Make sure you have read the rules.  Swap cars with no paperwork will likely be put in EC.  Tech opens at 6pm on Thursday and continues all day Friday.
Decals will be handed out at Tech and will be required to pass tech. Decal locations are shown in the BCCR appendix. 
Download the 2019 BCCR as we have had some rule changes. 
https://champcar.org/mainweb/pdf/2019ChampCarBCCR.pdf 

Registration - Make sure you tech first, then bring your yellow logbook and tech sheet signed by us directly to registration.  Before you arrive, log in and check your driver roster for accuracy.  Make any corrections ahead of time.  If you are fully paid with the correct drivers, check-in is a 3 minute process.  If you are not coming (work issue, car issue, etc), email me to let me know you will not be there.

Novice School - 5pm Friday, location TBD (since they knocked down the scoring tower).

Pit Assignments - Here are your pit assignments.    

Discovery Parts Will be bringing their "Mobile Technology Center" (big support trailer). If there is anything special you would like them to bring, please let them know before Wednesday end of day as the trailer leaves early Thursday. They already have a very full will-call box and want to thank you for the support of our company.

New for 2019 Hans Recertification, even Trackside -  https://www.discoveryparts.com/hans-device-recertify/4459-hans-device-recertification.html

www.discoveryparts.com      706-344-1235

A reminder: read through and print out the Supplemental Rules for this event here.

If you have any questions about registration, please contact Katherine Miller here.  Any other questions you can contact me here.

We're looking forward to seeing you all in GA!

The ChampCar Staff   
  • Like 2