Bill Strong

2019 Official Road America Spring Double 8-Hour Enduros

5 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

Seems like some bias against guys who have fast cars, why aren't you equally concerned about a new team with a slow car, their driving has just as much potential to cause issues IMHO. 

From experience the last 6 years of doing this, it tends to not be the new teams that cause the problems.  I have seen many more of the veteran teams being too impatient to get around traffic and creating issues than I can count. 

I am just concerned about the performance potential of that car on this particular track and the speeds that can be achieved.  If this was say Gingerman, or a track that is more forgiving on consumables, ie: brakes, I would be less concerned by it. 

Do you ever see an Xfinity car racing in the Monster Energy series? Or an Indy car with F1? 

• Thanks 1

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that this is a series for beginners and we should always keep that in mind. Nothing wrong with being aware of these type of potential issues and being prepared for or proactively discussing with the team what the expectations are.

This car should be able to pass anybody at will on a straightaway, if that speed translates into divebombing or causing 3-wide situations with cars battling for position then that would be problematic.

Frankly with 40-50 cars on a 4+ mile course there is a lot of room out there, I forsee less trouble with this than running 80+ cars at Road Atlanta or 100+ at Daytona.

Hopefully these guys will come try the series out with a car they already have and see how much more fun they could be having with a car that fits in better an then build one, that was the original idea behind the EC class anyway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

I don’t understand the point.    It’s like killin spiders with a steamroller.    

16 hours of open pit-lane track time for $1425; that's a hell of a deal on a test session regardless of occasional traffic to be encountered and squished.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rapido said:

16 hours of open pit-lane track time for $1425; that's a hell of a deal on a test session regardless of occasional traffic to be encountered and squished.

Yea I get that.  I personally don’t think we should be test time for these folks. That’s just me though.  I wonder what 16 hours of run time on a car like that costs?   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rapido said:

^^That right there is the problem. We don’t want to be a test session for another series we’re the cars don’t even remotely fit into the rules.

• Like 1

Here’s another thought.   

So xyz brings out the super slapper to run 16 hours cheap.   Has a wee of a time.   Then they say “ hey other super slapper guys this is a hoot and practically free. Let’s all go and have our own race”.  Now there are 10 if them running up the hill to the flag stand at a buck fiddy catching the guy in the Geo going 80.   Sounds like fun.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Eman911 said:

Do you ever see an Xfinity car racing in the Monster Energy series? Or an Indy car with F1? 

Tune in this weekend to see the Williams F1 car racing against Mercedes, I think that is close to your examples!!!

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Here’s another thought.   

So xyz brings out the super slapper to run 16 hours cheap.   Has a wee of a time.   Then they say “ hey other super slapper guys this is a hoot and practically free. Let’s all go and have our own race”.  Now there are 10 if them running up the hill to the flag stand at a buck fiddy catching the guy in the Geo going 80.   Sounds like fun.  

And then bitching about how they didn't get a trophy cause "the rules" and demanding the rules be rewritten so their EC cars are no longer EC.

A limit ought be considered before anything gets out of hand.

Wow you eastern guys go off the deep end.

The GT3 Cup car at Utah was a non-issue.  He was on slicks, went by only on the straights, would only pass in the corners if a wave was given, and ran both day and night.  Pretty sure Mike and the corner workers kept a close eye on them and were ready to pull the plug if anything funky was going on.

Yes he would pass at significantly higher speed on the straight, no he would not draft then suddenly pull out, no he wouldn't "dive-bomb", pretty sure he was a smarter driver than that.  Seriously, who would he even draft anyway?  Have you ever been to track day in your car and had a McLaren 720S leave you like you were standing still?  It was like that but not nearly as much of a speed differential.

Chill out.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

The GT3 Cup car at Utah was a non-issue.  He was on slicks, went by only on the straights, would only pass in the corners if a wave was given, and ran both day and night.  Pretty sure Mike and the corner workers kept a close eye on them and were ready to pull the plug if anything funky was going on.

Yes he would pass at significantly higher speed on the straight, no he would not draft then suddenly pull out, no he wouldn't "dive-bomb", pretty sure he was a smarter driver than that.  Seriously, who would he even draft anyway?  Have you ever been to track day in your car and had a McLaren 720S leave you like you were standing still?  It was like that but not nearly as much of a speed differential.

Chill out.

Your missing the point, its a car that doesn't even remotely fit into our rules.(our series is based on rules, right) Why should any of the champ cars have to worry about a car that doesn't belong being entered in race?  Remember the old saying" we didn't pick your car"

9 minutes ago, scottyk said:

Your missing the point, its a car that doesn't even remotely fit into our rules.(our series is based on rules, right) Why should any of the champ cars have to worry about a car that doesn't belong being entered in race?  Remember the old saying" we didn't pick your car"

EC = exempt.  Per the rules, as long as it meets the safety and entry requirements (production car), the boss ok’s it, and you aren’t driving like an ass, you can run pretty much whatever ya brung.  Not saying I think cars like this should be racing with us, but no one is violating rules by allowing them to lap with us.

Edited by karman1970

8 minutes ago, scottyk said:

No you are missing my point.  Theory tested, went fine, no issues, therefore not a problem.

Eastern drama queens.

7 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

No you are missing my point.  Theory tested, went fine, no issues, therefore not a problem.

Eastern drama queens.

I'm central and so is race. If you want series to turn into pro test day OK.

Edited by scottyk
correction

1 minute ago, scottyk said:

I'm central and so is race. 

..and most of the comments are from which area?  Whatever, eastern and central drama queens then.  Happy?

5 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

..and most of the comments are from which area?  Whatever, eastern and central drama queens then.  Happy?

Yup, I usually show up to the hobby stock race with a late model.😏

Edited by scottyk
correction
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, scottyk said:

Yup, I usually show up to the hobby stock race with a late model.😏

I raced against a guy that brought a Hobby Stock out for a 3 hour enduro race. He lasted about an hour before he blew up. :)

57 minutes ago, scottyk said:

I'm kind of surprised that there's a concern about cars that have a high speed differential but have to make more stops for fuel. That's exactly what I've been told to do with my Fiero, and the rules have been changed to encourage that concept.

I have more than enough points left over to significantly increase my PWR at the expense of shorter stints but don't see any sense in going so much faster than everyone else that I would essentially be racing only the clock. 

10 minutes ago, mender said:

I'm kind of surprised that there's a concern about cars that have a high speed differential but have to make more stops for fuel. That's exactly what I've been told to do with my Fiero, and the rules have been changed to encourage that concept.

I have more than enough points left over to significantly increase my PWR at the expense of shorter stints but don't see any sense in going so much faster than everyone else that I would essentially be racing only the clock. 

Edited by scottyk
Correction

5 hours ago, Ron_e said:

The GT3 Cup car at Utah was a non-issue.  He was on slicks.

I think this might be opening up a can of worms...looking at it next thing we'll have is a 1/2 dozen modern day Porsches and vipers in the field showing up on slicks which should never happen

No thanks, they can run them with AER and WRL and probably have a lot more fun running with cars closer to their own performance specs...

Edited by Racer7x

When the post resorts to name-calling, I'm out.  See you at Road America.  Like it was said in a few posts, this is a long track and there are very few cars registered.  So, it should be fine.  Hopefully, this type of thing doesn't become more common and occur at a place like WGI with 100+ cars on track.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

When the post resorts to name-calling, I'm out.  See you at Road America.  Like it was said in a few posts, this is a long track and there are very few cars registered.  So, it should be fine.  Hopefully, this type of thing doesn't become more common and occur at a place like WGI with 100+ cars on track.

Champ has good cars and good racing. 

At Road Atlanta you guys had a car do 1:37 in the race, Our best time for the weekend with our 302R mustang was 1:34 flat in race trim (1:32 in Qualifying)

People that mention speed differential dont realize how fast Champ Cars actually are. 

• Like 3