Question Re Engine Preservation Mods

atxe30

So, in the interest of preserving my motor, I installed a crank scraper (trimming the teflon was pretty tedious...heh) and baffle in the OEM oil pan. I am not currently accounting for that in my penalty point calculations. Should I be? and if so what does that cost?

Edited by atxe30

4 minutes ago, atxe30 said:

So, in the interest of preserving my motor, I installed a crank scraper (trimming the teflon was pretty tedious...heh) and baffle in the OEM oil pan. I am not currently accounting for that in my penalty point calculations. Should I be? and if so what does that cost?

Did it come with the car from the factory or did you build it out of scraps you cut off the car?  Then it should be free.  If not, it should probably cost you points.  Just any opinion.

• Like 1

M20's did not come with scrapers or baffles, and I most def did not make the scraper...the baffles are super cheap precut alu you can get from several places since e30's have been raced forever. 

So how many points typically get added for this kind of stuff?? 

Edited by atxe30

• Technical Advisory Committee
5 minutes ago, atxe30 said:

M20's did not come with scrapers or baffles, and I most def did not make the scraper...the baffles are super cheap precut alu you can get from several places since e30's have been raced forever. 

So how many points typically get added for this kind of stuff?? 

I sent the questions to tech. I will post when I get an answer.

• Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

My opinion would be 'amount of material.'

But to be sure, write to Tech since it's not listed in the BCCR.

Some of us on the TAC are pushing toward adding more items to the Fixed Point Value list, so that the standard answer of 'write to Tech' is used less frequently...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, red0 said:

From Tech:

When adding anything to a car that is not on the FPL it should be figured as material points Teflon scraper three points per square foot for Plastics the metal should go by metal material cost .

** metal should go by metal material POINTS (2pts / sq. ft.)

I know that you know this, but there are always a few people out there who keep thinking in terms of $$$$ so I’m making this clarification for them. 

• Like 1

I would throw out there that scrapers and oil pan baffles really aren't any kind of performance enhancement, they simply make the engine last longer / not die. I'd think that Champ would want to encourage that purely as a cost reduction dimension...

Edit to add: not that I'm all that concerned about 3-4 points at this stage as I'm going to get hammered on suspension topic....heh....

Edited by atxe30

49 minutes ago, atxe30 said:

I would throw out there that scrapers and oil pan baffles really aren't any kind of performance enhancement, they simply make the engine last longer / not die. I'd think that Champ would want to encourage that purely as a cost reduction dimension...

Edit to add: not that I'm all that concerned about 3-4 points at this stage as I'm going to get hammered on suspension topic....heh....

When I hear people stating that modifications are for reliability, I think of this from the old BCCR...

Yes, lasting more than 37 laps is still a performance advantage. You can call it a reliability fix but the bottom line is that if your engine is still “performing” after the first hour of the race, that’s a performance increase.

🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Scrapers are HP, baffles are longevity but possibly a little hp as well.

just did some reading, didn't realize the drag parasitic impact of the oil cloud around crank was that big of a hit to power. learn something new every day!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, atxe30 said:

just did some reading, didn't realize the drag parasitic impact of the oil cloud around crank was that big of a hit to power. learn something new every day!

Shhhhh! You are not helping your cause.

The correct answer was "meh, it don't make a hill of beans difference. probably a waste of time!"

Your welcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/4/2019 at 7:04 PM, atxe30 said:

There was spare metal and plastic in your car when you gutted it, right? Sounds like "material reuse" to me, 0 points. 

2019 is gonna be tough for tech.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Black Magic said:

There was spare metal and plastic in your car when you gutted it, right? Sounds like "material reuse" to me, 0 points. 

2019 is gonna be tough for tech.....

Yea... no

The windage trays that I have seen are THICK, like 1/8” steel or close to it. Nothing like that came on my car and probably not anyone else’s in large enough sheets to turn into a windage tray / crank scraper. 

And I have heard of Teflon versions, too... and no cars came with sheets of Teflon, either. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Yea... no

The windage trays that I have seen are THICK, like 1/8” steel or close to it. Nothing like that came on my car and probably not anyone else’s in large enough sheets to turn into a windage tray / crank scraper. 

And I have heard of Teflon versions, too... and no cars came with sheets of Teflon, either. 

Our E30 with winter package did....

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Pretty sure that motor would go for 100,000+ miles on the street w/o the scrapers, so just drive it slower on the track and you'll have no issues.

And better brakes are a safety item right? 

Better handling car is a driver comfort, less effort to drive right?

Bigger fuel cells means less wear & tear on your crew because you don't need to stop as often.

Man this argument get old fast.

To answer the OP's question - yes you need to count it, unfortunately not sure how.  There is nothing about swapping components of a motor.