Sign in to follow this  
Bill Strong

2019 ChampCar.Sim Schedule

Thanks Bill. I'm looking forward to another season of running the ChampCar Sim Series and I hope we can build on the community that we started last season.

Please ask any questions about the new rules, regs, schedule below and I will do my best to clear up any confusion. I will create a separate thread for each championship event in order to share specific details about those sessions.

See you on track!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Drop weeks?

Yep, 4. Turns out if you read the attachment it has the information. 😀

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Like 1

There will be 15 championship rounds for the 2019 season. Of these, a driver’s best 11 results will count towards their final championship score (ie, they have a maximum of 4 drop weeks to use for either absences or incidents).

Championship scoring will be in the format 50-46-42-39-36-34-32-31-30-29... and so on down to 38th place.

Drivers must complete over 50% of the race distance to be eligible to score points.

Edited by Rapido
  • Thanks 1

Is there an invitation/request that needs to happen? I ran a few races last season, but I don't see my name on the current member list. Also, 2015 MX-5 Cup or Roadster?

Edited by B-Rad

I am going to partake in more races this season, trying to help get @Jab31169‘s rig set up after his move before the RA race. I think the changes will be good, nice work guys. 

Edited by Gordo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macheesy said:

Can you share the specific fixed setup?  Going to try to join a few races as well.

Should be the baseline setup for the car with reduced fuel, if you practice with baseline and 4 gallons you should be pretty close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Should be the baseline setup for the car with reduced fuel, if you practice with baseline and 4 gallons you should be pretty close.

I encourage a change from the base line.  With soft rear bar, baseline damper settings and square tire pressure setup, this car is Titanic-esq in the turning department.    Baseline seems to be a fun-sucker setup on this car.  Car is much more enjoyable to drive when it is freed up a bit.

Please at minimum, change the rear bar to stiff/hard setting and drop front tire pressures a few psi compared to rear; it'll still be on the pushy side, so 'safe' for those new to the car.  Could also consider changing the overall and/or front rear balance for damping and minor camber/toe tweaks to make the car work better without making it difficult to keep the ends of the car in proper orientation.

Edited by NigelStu

I did consider having an altered fixed setup but decided against it for the following reasons.

• It is more accessible for the community not to have a bespoke setup only available for download from this forum and used only in this series
  • Using baseline ensures any crossovers with PCC sessions will translate one-for-one
  • Set-up is not going to make a huge difference in lap time for this car - I tested the baseline in a few different weather settings and it was consistent
  • Good drivers will still rise to the top regardless of setup

PCC is open setup,  so I don't see how baseline here translates 1;1 to PCC races.  I know I picked up some time relative to competitors once I started changing a few setup items to dial out some understeer.  A couple of basic/simple changes (rear sway and tire pressure) does a good job of dialing out a chunk of the understeer that induces some frustration in the handling of the car that anyone can do really easily and doesn't make the car a tail-wagging handful.   Plus understeer is less fun to drive than neutral.   

Of course fast drivers will rise to the top regardless of the setup, but I feel that lesser drivers will not be able to extract as much comparative performance out of a car that has a strong tendency to understeer.  Us mortals have a tendency to highlight the handling issues (if a car has some understeer, mid-packers and the rest tend to plow off the track, if it oversteers a bit we like to spin it to win it!).  I would expect larger delta in speed  between mid-pack and pointy end with strong understeer vs a balanced car.  I'll hold off for any other comments until after we see how the race goes tonight.  Would you guys be open to potential simple setup changes based on vote from drivers that attend tonight?  Get a participant voice on how the masses feel the car works.

So iracing shows I'm a member of the league, but for some reason it says "league ineligible" next to the 9pm session.  Am I doing something wrong?

I have some friends that are interested in watching the races but do not have an iracing membership. Is this possible?  I scanned through the documents but did not find anything specific on the membership.

--edit,  I think I found my answer.  It looks like HughJass streams all of the official champcar races live on his youtube channel.  Cool!

Edited by tyler_j
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Hey @Doc check out the new promo video. 

AWESOME!!! I'd so LOVE to step into the broadcast booth every once in a while!!!

• Like 1