MAZDA CONTINGENCY AWARDS PROGRAM

@takjak2  That is very unfortunate news.  I spent about $100 on stickers, patches and shipping.  $500 per class win would've been really cool considering these races aren't cheap.  I know some contingency is better than nothing, I just wish they wrote the program more clearly.  It has influenced our engine choice and its frustrating to hear that our assumptions were incorrect.     

Mazda support for racing is pretty incredible.   

The communication on how the program works for Champcar has not been great you have to read all the fine print from Mazda. And then it’s not real clear how it works for our series.   

We we are waiting for joint GM Mazda Support for the Ecotec. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
Contingency Awards Reminders:

Mazda Motorsports launched a tool to look up point values and prepaid card awards. Prepaid card awards are listed with an ETA about 1-2 weeks before they post to your RPM portal login; point values will be listed in live-time.

To use this tool, please visit mazdamotorsports.com/contingency-programs and scroll to the bottom of the page. Then type your Mazda Team Support Program number and click search.

Contingency request forms (along with official race results, photos and a W-9 form) must be postmarked within 45 days of the event to receive full contingency payment.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Isn't this Mazda contingency program?  Why would champcar change the way they do their thing?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Have you contacted the Mazda people to see how it works on their end regarding champcar?

The clarifications I'm seeking regard how Champcar will determine year-end championship (points) winners.

Will Champcar break out points by class? This seems necessary to award Mazda contingencies, which do specify that they are for class.

If Champcar publishes points by class, will they use overall finishing position or within class? This could heavily skew the results based on out-of-class racing (determining Mazda winners by BMW attendance).

Will Champcar consider the Mazda minimum 4 races? If not, it will reduce payouts and skew results.

Will Champcar weight Sonoma in the above? If so, east coast teams will be required to tow cross country to win any payout.

5 hours ago, takjak2 said:

The clarifications I'm seeking regard how Champcar will determine year-end championship (points) winners.

Will Champcar break out points by class? This seems necessary to award Mazda contingencies, which do specify that they are for class.

If Champcar publishes points by class, will they use overall finishing position or within class? This could heavily skew the results based on out-of-class racing (determining Mazda winners by BMW attendance).

Will Champcar consider the Mazda minimum 4 races? If not, it will reduce payouts and skew results.

Will Champcar weight Sonoma in the above? If so, east coast teams will be required to tow cross country to win any payout.

You could avoid all this potential confusion by just winning the races ;)

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some of these Mazdas use non-Mazda power plants. I do not know all of the teams that do. and I do not know what teams are registered with the Mazda Motorsports Contingency program. There are three events left in 2019.

2020 National Championship Standings Mazda.pdf

Yes, Mazda has direct access to a page we built them that displays this for them so they may verify your data that you send them.

This is the page that Mazda uses to confirm the information that is sent by you. Barber results are missing, they will be uploaded tonight.
https://champcar.org/register/mazdaresults.php

We are not considering anything. This is all handled by Mazda Motorsports. We just provide them with the finishing results.
But I understand what you are asking. I will send the list of entered races to Mazda Motorsports. I will also figure out a way to remove the non-Mazda power plants.

That's how we help fill the field and get cars out west to race.

2 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Wow, thanks for going to that trouble Bill.  

As you can read above, I was pretty pessimistic that this would work out.

I apologize to the group. 

Thank you again!

Chisek and I actually travelled to meet with the head of the Mazda program multiple times in 2018 to work out the details. there were a lot of meetings, and phone calls to sort out all of the details that we would have to do to help you, the racers, comply with the program. Our database admin and timing and scoring folks have worked tirelessly to sort out ongoing issues with how we present the data to mazda. We think we have it sorted for 2019 as they have not sent me hate-e-mail. lol.

The same for 2019. a few meetings to determine how the 2020 contingency will work and if there were any changes. 
I am doing the same thing for another manufacturer using the same process, but a slightly different payout to the racers.

Do you think I just sit around playing FreeCell all day? :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Chisek and I actually travelled to meet with the head of the Mazda program multiple times in 2018 to work out the details. there were a lot of meetings, and phone calls to sort out all of the details that we would have to do to help you, the racers, comply with the program. Our database admin and timing and scoring folks have worked tirelessly to sort out ongoing issues with how we present the data to mazda. We think we have it sorted for 2019 as they have not sent me hate-e-mail. lol.

The same for 2019. a few meetings to determine how the 2020 contingency will work and if there were any changes. 
I am doing the same thing for another manufacturer using the same process, but a slightly different payout to the racers.

Do you think I just sit around playing FreeCell all day? :)

No, I don't.  But the announcement of this program never mentioned champcar involvement.   It just said we were eligible.  

I figure you think up ways to make Toyota's faster all day.

P.s. any chance a gm 3400 or 3500 could be considered a Mazda engine?

• Like 1

Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

No, I don't.  But the announcement of this program never mentioned champcar involvement.   It just said we were eligible.  

I figure you think up ways to make Toyota's faster all day.

P.s. any chance a gm 3400 or 3500 could be considered a Mazda engine?

They contacted us first out of all of the series listed in the endurance program. First meeting was using us only. 3rd meeting suggested they had brought in other programs. 4th meeting confirmed this. We submitted multiple Championship options, and they picked the one that best suited their format.

It's funny. for the past year I have done nothing related to my racecar with the exception of the 2018 December VIR race which was basically dust the car off and go race with a 2015 configured car.

The rule is, a Mazda powered Mazda. I did check with them multiple times.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bbaker480 said:

To be fair I'm currently running a Mazda motor in my Mazda, even if it isn't the one that Kenichi Yamamoto intended to be there, @wvumtnbkr is the one that decided to trade the sound of a rotary for torque and better fuel economy.  

Yup. Just talkin' smack. ;-) Still loves youse guys. 

• Like 1

• Bill Strong changed the title to MAZDA CONTINGENCY AWARDS PROGRAM