Sign in to follow this  
Jer

Heim joints- is this five points or ten per side?

I’ve asked tech with no reply.  This is probably ten points per side.  What do you all think?   If it’s ten them I’m back to stock. 

72EFB7C8-8504-4FE5-8BF2-8A6B3E4E58B5.jpeg

Poly bushing    This is a sway bar endlink

And that’s where my tech expertise ends.  Lol

Maybe I can get Rays attention here.  

Definitely not a heim. If your swaybar is non-stock I think end links are included. If not, who knows. I normally have to send a reminder e-mail or two to actually get a response.

• Like 3

If those are heim (spherical metal bearings) then I count 2 heims @ 5 pts each per side, or due to it being an adjustable sway bar link, it would be a non oem suspension parts = 10 points/side either way. 

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1

Ok then I can’t use these.  And I agree non stock.  I have to go back to a stock bar because of the swap change on Miatas.  I will use stock end links. 

Hey Jer I would not call that a heim joint , but an adjustable heim bushing ??   Never saw one like that before but it looks like  a 10 point non stock suspension component .

When did you send it to the tech line ? Cause I just reviewed and found nothing 

I emailed you Ray.  No worries.  I do have points to use it on one side but I’m not sure that will make s difference. 

16 hours ago, Huggy said:

Totally agree with Huggy.

16 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

I expect those would be included in the points you are taking for the non-oe swaybar

I would think that non OE sway bar links would be part of the change to a non OE bar for fit...especially if you have an adjustable bar.

11 hours ago, Jer said:

I emailed you Ray.  No worries.  I do have points to use it on one side but I’m not sure that will make s difference. 

The adjustability part of it is to make sure the bar is not trying to act on the suspension when sitting flat and level with driver in the car.

Only 1 side needs to be adjustable for this to work.

Not sure I would waste 10 points on it....

• Like 3

Stock it is.  Not a big deal.  

I have the same adjustable end links on my front sway and was told in tech that I only had to use points for the front sway bar and not the adjustable end links. I had points to spare so it didn’t matter. Just another data point. 

3 minutes ago, National Tech said:

If the end links came with your sway bar they are part of the kit and you only pay for the sway bar.  And it's not a hiem joint.

But because it is an adjustable part, it IS a non OEM suspension part (10 points), isn't it? And thus would be assessed 10 points, even if used with a stock sway bar, correct?

Edited by mcoppola

10 points only if it is used with the stock sway bar, otherwise it is part of the non OEM sway bar assembly. Now nobody would pay half  of the points of a sway bar for a set of end links, but that is how most of the parts on the fixed point list end up working. Once you pay your points make sure you get your full value worth.

Another example I asked about is an oil cooler. On the engine I was looking at the easiest way to install an oil cooler is to remove the oil filter module and replace it with a plate that has a -10 inlet and outlet port. With that you would need to install a remote oil filter in the plumbing for the oil cooler, which would be included in the points for the oil cooler, if you wanted to install a remote oil filter without the cooler you would have to pay points for the filter and plumbing. Obviously not near as good of a deal in points to value ratio.

• Like 1

@mhr650 - Correct about sway bar links being included with a sway bar, that is now stated in the 2019 bccr.

Regarding the other item, Mike Chisek stated to the TAC group that he doesn't believe Champcar has ever assessed points for a remote oil filter. Cooler, yes, remote filter only = no. 

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, mcoppola said:

But because it is an adjustable part, it IS a non OEM suspension part (10 points), isn't it? And thus would be assessed 10 points, even if used with a stock sway bar, correct?

You are correct