1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

Do the vape mods and skinny jeans add or take away VPI?

44724242_194813218121586_877441853864880

Take away if it's the Subaru version, add for Toyota.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

So how fast is one of the twins at say 2200lbs, or 2100lbs?

Pretty slow, since it wouldn't have an engine.  Mine had a chromoly cage, body panels were swiss-cheesed, and it was stripped of everything except the dash pad.  It weighs about 2550 lbs completely empty, without driver.

10 hours ago, Round3Racing said:

Pretty slow, since it wouldn't have an engine.  Mine had a chromoly cage, body panels were swiss-cheesed, and it was stripped of everything except the dash pad.  It weighs about 2550 lbs completely empty, without driver.

Had you cut out and removed all of the crash / crush structure in the car, and built a  bare minimum cage?     I'm  not talking about a car most people would want to drive, just one that's legal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Had you cut out and removed all of the crash / crush structure in the car, and built a  bare minimum cage?     I'm  not talking about a car most people would want to drive, just one that's legal

The cage is an FIA cage built for Grand-Am.  So, definitely not the bare minimum, death cage.  The car was gutted, stripped, swiss-cheesed, etc.  We did modify the bumper support bars, but I'd say that there is maybe 30 more pounds that someone could pull out, if they did not care about having any structure behind a plastic bumper cover.  So, let's say that if someone wanted a rolling death trap, they could maybe make it 100 pounds lighter.  2450, empty with out driver.  And then you hired 100 lbs Danica Patrick to drive it.  So, 2550 with driver, in a dream world.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

The cage is an FIA cage built for Grand-Am.  So, definitely not the bare minimum, death cage.  The car was gutted, stripped, swiss-cheesed, etc.  We did modify the bumper support bars, but I'd say that there is maybe 30 more pounds that someone could pull out, if they did not care about having any structure behind a plastic bumper cover.  So, let's say that if someone wanted a rolling death trap, they could maybe make it 100 pounds lighter.  2450, empty with out driver.  And then you hired 100 lbs Danica Patrick to drive it.  So, 2550 with driver, in a dream world.

Ok  fair enough.   

It is with out a doubt a very good car, as you have told us.  I would think anywhere near the the minimum weight numbers, in the hands of one of the top Champcar teams it would likely be a dominant car.   I think it would be another car that went directly to the front and then all of the smart teams (of which there are many now) would simply match the second place cars pace.  Fuel could be a limiter, but with a cell and a 4ft filler tube that might not be a huge problem 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:24 PM, Round3Racing said:

The FR-S in SCCA T4, at 2975 lbs (with driver) on Hoosier A7 tires, non-adjustable racing coilover suspension, LSD, stock intake, stock exhaust manifold, and 55mm flat plate air intake restrictor was turning 2:32 and change in qualifying at Sebring in cool weather, this past weekend.  That is with a top-notch driver (he was outside pole sitter at 2017 Runoffs).  Knock  3 - 4 seconds off that pace with 200TW tires and stock suspension.  The restrictor really doesn't do much, but just say that it is worth a second if you remove it.  So, you're looking at 2:34 - 2:36 lap times at Sebring, running 10/10.

The weight is a variable, though.  I got my FR-S down to about 2550 lbs without driver.  That is worth quite a bit, if you have some lightweight drivers.  It could bring that car back down into the 2:32 range.  That car would be a front-runner.

It is certainly newer and has some advanced features that would be nice (ABS, traction control for wet conditions), but it is not any faster than the front running cars in ChampCar.  As a note, I raced an FR-S for 3 seasons in SCCA.  I know the car well.  It handles very well and would be a fun car for endurance racing.  The engine is a bit fragile, though.

BF Goodrich R1 S and 2925 but whose counting ....  :)   I totally agree with you that it would be a competitive car but definitely not head and shoulders above others(and would likely not make it without a diff and trans cooler). .   Maybe 3 years ago... because speed-creep is definitely a thing.  There were 5 Non-EC cars that ran NYE SEbring at or below 2:36 Fast Lap ... many of the NA Miatas doing 2:38s.     I've been kicking around making a FRS for WRL/AER if they continue to come down South more often.

p.s. I am the other Dynasty FRS in T4 (Darren sold his).

Edited by bam

1 hour ago, bam said:

BF Goodrich R1 S and 2925 but whose counting ....  :)   I totally agree with you that it would be a competitive car but definitely not head and shoulders above others(and would likely not make it without a diff and trans cooler). .   Maybe 3 years ago... because speed-creep is definitely a thing.  There were 5 Non-EC cars that ran NYE SEbring at or below 2:36 Fast Lap ... many of the NA Miatas doing 2:38s.     I've been kicking around making a FRS for WRL/AER if they continue to come down South more often.

p.s. I am the other Dynasty FRS in T4 (Darren sold his).

That's right...Dynasty runs BFG.  Funny, since I was talking with Darren at Sebring and specifically discussed the BFG tires.

I also agree that the FR-S would be good, but not dominant.  I would also run a diff cooler and I also believe that the transmission would be a weak point.  I went through a lot of them.

The ABS in that car is really nice.  4-channel ABS with really good feel.  The traction control is a different story.  It is nice to have in the rain, but it absolutely needs to be disabled in the dry.  In fact, we have had to make an unscheduled stop when the VSC came on during a race.  It is obtrusive to the point of dangerous.

It is a really fun car to race.  I'd love to see someone race one in EC, just to see how it does.  My bet is that it will not last the whole race, but I'd love to see it try.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:54 AM, Round3Racing said:

And then you hired 100 lbs Danica Patrick to wreck it.  So, 2550 with driver, in a dream world.

FIFY 

7 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

FIFY 

Laugh all you want about Danica, but she accomplished more than 99.9% of us have, and in her Nascar career, her average finish was better than 20 other 'he men' drivers in the same races.

Yea, a lot of the wrecks in the early years were her fault, but when she was on the verge of running top 15 with SHR in recent years, either bad luck by being in the wrong place/wrong time, or guys that couldn't stand the thought of her finishing better than them, took her out on multiple occasions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1