Sign in to follow this  
Rapido

2019 ChampCar Sim Series - Round 1, Road Atlanta - 1/16/2019, 1/23/2019, 1/30/2019

Hello all, and welcome to the first round of the 2019 ChampCar Sim Series. This will be the main forum thread, with all sessions (Practice Rounds and Championship Round) for both divisions adhering to the details below. For full calendar and all rules changes implemented for 2019, please see the schedule post linked at the bottom.

As you can see, we are using the new day-night transition feature that iRacing has recently released, with in-sim time accelerated by 2x. This means that, whilst practice and qualifying will be in warmer weather during the day, the race itself will finish a bit after sunset and so caution in the darker conditions will be advised. 

Session Details

• Practice Round 1: Wednesday, 16-January-2018
  • Practice Round 2: Wednesday, 23-January-2018
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 30-January-2018
  • Practice Start: 6:00pm ET/6:00pm PT
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm ET/8:00pm PT
  • Race Start: 9:00pm ET/9:00pm PT
  • Cars: Maxda MX-5 Cup - 2015
  • Track: Road Atlanta
  • In-Sim Session Date: Wednesday, 30-January-2018
  • In-Sim Session Start Time: 11:00am
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 2x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: Fixed, iRacing Baseline with 4.2g Fuel
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

2019 ChampCar Sim Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

Discord Server

Edited by Rapido
  • Like 3

With all the little improvements to the series including just 1 class of car, and the available drop weeks, I'm hoping participation will be high. This is a great way to keep your skills sharp, and maybe win some great prizes. 

The decision to use the NC Miata was made for the following reasons:

• The NC is actually eligible for ChampCar races in real life, and is subsequently being heavily promoted by the Mazda Contingency Awards Program
  • The NC drives in a manner that is more attuned to the experience of driving in ChampCar races
  • The NC is not the Pontiac Solstice
  • The ND is the most popular car on the service because it is default rookie road racing car - a role that the NC occupied before the introduction of the ND
  • The NC is free (base) content for iRacing members but is not used widely any more, thus leveling the playing field for newcomers to the iRacing service
  • Good drivers and committed competitors will rise to the top of the field over the course of a championship year, regardless of car specialty
  • Like 4

The ND is fun to drive. The NC is not. Especially with the baseline tune. 

Fast drivers will always get the most out of anything they drive. But isn't the purpose of this to have fun? So why not drive a fun car or at least open up the tuning to have the thing not drive like a dump truck. 

Edited by DJ Alessandrini

Hey buddy, fun is relative and subjective, might want to keep that in mind before making such sweeping statements.  Sounds like you don't like the NC Miata, I'm sorry that it's not your favorite, not mine either, I'm a Pontiac Solstice man myself. 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AFawcett said:

Bummed I can't make it tonight! I love the old Mazda! 

Don't worry, Tom will send you a replay and some homework. :)

Also a reminder to everyone who's new, the Discord server is a great place to chat during Practice and Qualifying, and after the race. 

Edited by David Haines
  • Like 2

I can't join the race because it says I am not a member of the league...

Seems rather odd as the 3 other races that are on the schedule currently it looks like I can join.

(SIGH)

Have fun Atlantic Division.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can't join the race because it says I am not a member of the league...

Seems rather odd as the 3 other races that are on the schedule currently it looks like I can join.

(SIGH)

Have fun Atlantic Division.

Hey Doc, several people are having this issue. 

All of them have successfully joined the session by joining through the iRacing Beta UI. 

@Doc and All,

There is currently an issue affecting some members which means they can't register for the session through the member site. The fix for this is to register through the BetaUI.

Click the button at the top of the member site to launch it:

image.png.432ce706fbfbdeb2bce29cad99f9eb15.png

Then navigate to Leagues->ChampCar Sim Series

Let me know in the Discord if anyone has any further problems.

image.png

16 minutes ago, Rapido said:

@Doc and All,

There is currently an issue affecting some members which means they can't register for the session through the member site. The fix for this is to register through the BetaUI.

Click the button at the top of the member site to launch it:

image.png.432ce706fbfbdeb2bce29cad99f9eb15.png

Then navigate to Leagues->ChampCar Sim Series

Let me know in the Discord if anyone has any further problems.

image.png

What is the discord community name?

• Like 1

Internet kicked us off too after a couple laps. Can we rejoin is it all she wrote. 

Edit:finally were able to rejoin. 

Edited by cowboys647
Knowledge

28 minutes ago, cowboys647 said:

Internet kicked us off too after a couple laps. Can we rejoin is it all she wrote. 

Edit:finally were able to rejoin. 

My internet finally back on...too late.

Thank you to everyone who came out to race tonight, it was gratifying to see such a large field for a practice round. We will start publicising the league to a wider audience next week in the hope of seeing larger fields as we get to the first championship round.

Apologies to those who got caught up in the T1 incident - just like in a ChampCar endurance race it pays to take it easy on the opening lap, give plenty of room and respect, and once things calm down you can start to push on a bit. As this was a practice round we won't look at any incidents in detail, but a reminder that there will be a review/penalty procedure for incidents in championship rounds.

• Like 3

Does anyone have any recommendations for the network dropouts? I was in throughout the practice and qualifying but got cut out twice during the actual race. I have the spectrum 200mb/s package which has always been ultra fast for me. 

Speed should be fine but for long iRacing sessions a consistent connection is more important. Are you racing using a WiFi connection? If so, this is likely the cause of the drops - would recommend purchasing a long Ethernet cable to connect your computer directly to your router. Other than this, making sure other programs aren't running at the same time and prioritizing bandwidth (streaming, torrent, etc.).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flytime said:

The night racing was excellent and very realistic.

Unless you were using real MX5 stub axles on those curbs.  :)

I bailed after qualifying, I noticed the top finishers seemed to be averaging nearly an incident per lap, does that imply some consistent course cutting?