Sign in to follow this  
Rapido

2019 ChampCar Sim Series - Round 1, Road Atlanta - 1/16/2019, 1/23/2019, 1/30/2019

4 minutes ago, mcewena said:

Unless you were using real MX5 stub axles on those curbs.  :)

I bailed after qualifying, I noticed the top finishers seemed to be averaging nearly an incident per lap, does that imply some consistent course cutting?

Course cuts would be penalized by the sim's race control, I know because I got a slow down penalty twice during the race.  The incident count was higher than normal but I think that is due to the first race of the season and driving after dark, I know that my off tracks went up quite a bit as it got darker.

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Course cuts would be penalized by the sim's race control, I know because I got a slow down penalty twice during the race.  The incident count was higher than normal but I think that is due to the first race of the season and driving after dark, I know that my off tracks went up quite a bit as it got darker.

Yes that's true for 4 off.  But you get an incident point for 2 off (with an * next to your lap time in Q), most official races DQ you after 17 incident points. I raced a Skip Barber against a semi-famous IRL driver and he got that so I managed to steal some of his IR points :) 

Yeah probably best to leave that check off for the 1st rounds.

Practice Race #2 is tonight, same details as before.

Reminder that if you get hit with the session registration bug, the fix is to use the BetaUI to enter the session.

• Thanks 1

Good race for the most part.  I got as high as 4th before a racing incident dropped me back to 12th.  Combined with a fueling mishap it killed my race.  Ended up finishing 9th.  Had some super fast guys in the room.  Seems like we had a bunch drop out of the race.  Finally figured out how to get my times into the 1:39-1:40 range consistently.  Looking forward to the race!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Good race for the most part.  I got as high as 4th before a racing incident dropped me back to 12th.  Combined with a fueling mishap it killed my race.  Ended up finishing 9th.  Had some super fast guys in the room.  Seems like we had a bunch drop out of the race.  Finally figured out how to get my times into the 1:39-1:40 range consistently.  Looking forward to the race!

Agreed!  I had a good time.  I was running 8th-10th for the first half (had a few laps in the 1:39-1:40 range but not consistent yet),  then got into the back of someone a bit due to a misread on line choice (my fault).  Car still drove fine and I was turning good times still so I kept on pushing it (disregarding the "pit now due to damage" alert).  4 laps later the engine blew which sidelined me for the rest of the race.  Lesson learned:  even if the car drives fine, if it tells you to pit you need to pit haha.

I had a fueling mishap as well. I could've sworn I took 2.1gal last week and finished without issue. This week I had to make another stop for 1gal just to finish. It's probably just my memory failing me again. The good news is that I didn't blow an engine this week from over-revving on downshifts. 😁

Edited by B-Rad

Yea I tried to adjust mine down from 4.2 to 3.2 and i guess i caught it right as it was finishing and it started adding another 3.2 gallons.  Hard to find the mouse sometimes when you are in the VR headset

Wait, you can adjust the fuel load for the race?  I thought fuel was set for the race and it was low enough to require at least one stop.  I thought it was weird I had 60L.  No wonder everyone was running me down on the back straight during the race, lol.  Good thing I jumped in for a practice round.

I had fun anyway.  Qualified P4 1:39.6, which I thought was good since I haven't been on in about a year.  I'm also fairly sure at least 2 of the top 3 were drafting during qualifying.  I got shuffled back at the start going up the hill and then completely blew 10A (I'm only there for realism).  I had shifted to 6th for some reason and didn't realize it.  I got a cut course penalty on the next lap but kept pace trying to stay out of the way before I slowed.  I ended up waiting too long and had to serve a time penalty in the pits for it.  I never could recover and decided to withdraw with about 15min to go.  Had a great back and forth with one guy for about 10min before he pitted though.  Glad I got some practice in, I'll be back for the real race next week.

Last night's race went much better than last week.  Almost the entire field behaved through turn one (as opposed to half the field all trying to occupy same space as others last week).  Nice improvement, hopefully its even better next week.  Seemed like mostly clean racing throughout and only a few mistakes that hurt the competitors.  

Managed to learn some things and dropped on average 2 sec per lap.  Had  a lot of fun running with Andrew and Devin after the pit stop, learning more by doing so (well, at least from Devin lol).  Too bad I turned in a bit too soon on one of the laps near the end (combo of how dark it was and being on one of their bumpers, I lost all visibility of my 'normal' brake/turn cues) and got a cut course, which dropped me out of draft and I wasn't able to recover with my current pace ability.  A second cut course sealed the deal for B-rad to catch me (quicker than he was already doing).  He must have taught me something else, as I ran my fastest (dirty, but still fastest) lap on second to last lap in the pitch dark.  Finally broke that 1:40 mark!

Now, if this 2 seconds per lap per week drop continues....  I could give the podium a run.   😂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

Wait, you can adjust the fuel load for the race?  I thought fuel was set for the race and it was low enough to require at least one stop.  I thought it was weird I had 60L.  No wonder everyone was running me down on the back straight during the race, lol.  Good thing I jumped in for a practice round.

Can only adjust how much you take during your pit stop, initial is controlled by admin.

Is there a way to turn down the brightness of the MXL in the game?  That thing is bright at full dark. 

Sidenote: I actually got faster at night for some reason....go figure

1 hour ago, Bremsen said:

I had fun anyway.  Qualified P4 1:39.6, which I thought was good since I haven't been on in about a year.  I'm also fairly sure at least 2 of the top 3 were drafting during qualifying.  I got shuffled back at the start going up the hill and then completely blew 10A (I'm only there for realism).  I had shifted to 6th for some reason and didn't realize it.  I got a cut course penalty on the next lap but kept pace trying to stay out of the way before I slowed.  I ended up waiting too long and had to serve a time penalty in the pits for it.  I never could recover and decided to withdraw with about 15min to go.  Had a great back and forth with one guy for about 10min before he pitted though.  Glad I got some practice in, I'll be back for the real race next week.

No draft here. You could always check the replay to be sure.

9 minutes ago, B-Rad said:

No draft here. You could always check the replay to be sure.

No harm no foul.  I figure its fair game anyway.  I just noticed 2 guys running nose to tail for most of quali and I think they ended up P2/3.  If you were P1, good on ya....1:38 is a smokin time in that car.

13 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

No harm no foul.  I figure its fair game anyway.  I just noticed 2 guys running nose to tail for most of quali and I think they ended up P2/3.  If you were P1, good on ya....1:38 is a smokin time in that car.

That was myself and a teammate, and it helped neither of us.  He ended up P2 before I even got in the session and I ended up P6 on a lap he wasn't a part of.  It was mainly just us having fun during the open quali since I missed any practice time.  

I think I would prefer solo qualifying. But since it's open, I wouldn't complain if I caught some draft on the long straight. 😀

I didnt quali but got in the 39's no draft during the daytime.

Race was very fun last night and looking forward to next week! Alex Albert you have some explosive speed out of the last chicane and before and after fuel blew by me there.

3 gallons was safe with a good amount of lifting and coasting early in the race, but im going to be on the fence next week taking 3 or 4.

• Thanks 1

Very fun race! Qualified P2 (don’t know how that happened...no drafting for that lap) and stayed top 3 until I kept shifting into 6th on my 5-4 downshifts, lost the draft.  Had a lot of fun for the first ten laps running with Alex and Bradley (I think?). Anyway, fueling error - theme of the night? - and lonely drive the rest of the race. Biggest achievement, my internet didnt poop the bed! Hope to see everyone next Wednesday!

• Like 3

I've already joined the league in iRacing, do I need to sign up anywhere else or just show up when the races start?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IG-88A said:

I've already joined the league in iRacing, do I need to sign up anywhere else or just show up when the races start?

Just show up. Make sure you have the minimum driver rating for the Championship rounds to get in.

• Thanks 1

Reminder that the first championship round of the 2019 season takes place tonight!

Sessions start at 6pm local time, and there is a minimum iRating/SR requirement of D 2.0.

As per the previous practice rounds, there is occasionally a bug where you are unable to join the session through the website - if this is encountered please try and use the BetaUI to access the event instead.

• Like 1

Should be good to go - I have accepted all outstanding league requests.

Reminder for everyone to join the Discord tonight - it makes in-session communication a lot easier, as well as enabling the broadcast team to pull you into the booth for a post-race interview.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rapido said:

Should be good to go - I have accepted all outstanding league requests.

Reminder for everyone to join the Discord tonight - it makes in-session communication a lot easier, as well as enabling the broadcast team to pull you into the booth for a post-race interview.

Disregard. Operator error.

image.png

Edited by KoneKillah

10 minutes ago, Rapido said:

Just curious: What does discord to for me that iracing's integrated voice chat doesn't?

Discord is a good communication app for messaging, etc.  Great place for organizers to give updates and announcements (when they start using the system for that), ability to have a place to show standings, ability for members to share paints, files, etc, say hi to fellow racers or talk about the race, trash talk, bench race,etc.

During events, it is a better way to talk to other racers (using discord) - multiple people can talk at once.  Seems to work better than the iRacing chat function.  Plus if you are in a group running a different race, you can chat in discord and not bother the other racers (or give away strategy)

• Like 1