Bill Strong

Don't have money to race? Volunteer to earn some race Credits!

Become a Volunteer

We are always in need of help at our events. It takes a small army to keep everyone safe and make things run smoothly! Volunteers help us with Gear Check, Safety and Tech Inspection, Registration, Pit Lane Marshalls, Hospitality, Media… and so much more! Interested in building a car and coming out to race? See how things are run from the inside. Racing budget a little tight this month but you still want to be in on the action? Help us on pit road. No matter what your reason, we need your help and you earn racing credits!
Download the Volunteer PDf to get a more detailed description of the job duties.

https://champcar.org/mainweb/volunteer/

• Like 2

I tried this and when I showed up, I was given instructions on what time and where to meet and no one showed up. Come to find out, Everyone else was  told the right place to meet and they got to work and I wasted a trip and lost money. I would love to do this but I just don’t trust that I will get to actually work. Can’t afford to make same mistake twice. 

I volunteered over 25 race events for six years with my son and daughter at several events and never had a problem . Sorry to hear about this as we really need and appreciate our volunteers .  I signed up using the website and followed the email instructions .

3 hours ago, SpeedMaverick said:

I tried this and when I showed up, I was given instructions on what time and where to meet and no one showed up. Come to find out, Everyone else was  told the right place to meet and they got to work and I wasted a trip and lost money. I would love to do this but I just don’t trust that I will get to actually work. Can’t afford to make same mistake twice. 

What event? Why didn't you find any of the Champ staff. Champ doesn't turn away people, even if you are late. All based on hours worked.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, SpeedMaverick said:

I tried this and when I showed up, I was given instructions on what time and where to meet and no one showed up.

Presumably you were told the wrong track? Or maybe to be there after the race?  Can't imagine any other scenario where you get there a little late and somehow that turns into a wasted trip.

@Bill Strong Is there a published amount of credits that can be earned?  I might be interested in volunteering for the 24-hours at Nelson or maybe the 12-hours at Thompson.  Thanks.

Edited by CoachMK21
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 6:12 PM, zack_280 said:

Presumably you were told the wrong track? Or maybe to be there after the race?  Can't imagine any other scenario where you get there a little late and somehow that turns into a wasted trip.

Wrong Track? I do have an IQ over 70. I was a day early. I was told  while standing in front of the tech shed at RA that “We Meet Here” at what ever time it was. the next morning. I saw the beginning of drivers meeting while I was waiting and all the training for new volunteers was over and I was out of luck. I was not going to put the safety or competition of anyone at risk because I did not know what was expected of me. I wasn’t given an opportunity on Sunday either. Wasted trip. Although I did enjoy the racing.

I dont communicate with slang and take what is said literally. “Here”means where I’m standing, not some other building on the other end of pit lane. As an official at my local track, the tech shed is where ALL meetings were held. So when I was told “meet here”, I never gave it a second thought that I was in the wrong place. I did go looking for a meeting but I couldn’t find it, and several people I asked had no idea where it was going on. I was starting to irritate people who were in race prep so I gave up.

I love this series but my experience is that the communication between staff and members sucks. I am a problem solver but Champcar has not been willing to fix the problem. When I told them my experience they ignored me and refused to return my calls to talk about how to solve it. That is why I will no longer volunteer. I hope that will change. The communication before the Indy entry was not good either. I was told I have to follow on Facebook to get test updates which I HATE. I don’t follow Facebook. I rely on email and Champcar won’t use it which is a BAD decision on their part. I offered to help and no interest or even a response at all. 

Champcar asks for help help and then turns away offers. Or is it only me? I don’t know. I have been made to feel like Champcar doesn’t want me to participate in making the series the best it can be. I quit racing in 2010 because of ego/money driven politics. I came back because Champcar is member run. I have invested thousands getting ready for my comeback. But I am in no hurry to spend a penny more until I see improvement in communication. It’s been over a year and no change. Will it ever.....

I even volunteered to help with improving communication and was ignored completely. In fact some said I was the problem and Champcar does no wrong.  Champcar doesn’t think they have a problem. I know for a fact that they do. When they refused to talk about refusing to talk, I know there is a problem.  

Champcar is turning its its back on experienced and highly dedicated help.  That usually happens when someone feels threatened by the one trying to help. Which is nothing new for me. I hope ego isn’t getting in the way here in Champcar too.  The message to me is we are asking for help, but not from you...

This kind of reminds me of when I got fired from 2 teams as crew chief for refusing to set up the car without reverse rake on track bars in the Truck and Busch series.  I had proved it worked in multiple test sessions yet drivers kept saying to change it back because they didn’t want to change their driving style to make it work to its full potential. But for how many years now have ALL NASCAR  teams been doing it the way I discovered in 1996. My question is, will I be chased out of here too so I get no credit for helping? I don’t need credit, I just want to see better communication between teams/owners and Champ staff. But all I hear is silence. 

Ray, I would love to be able to share a similar story as yours. But at what point do I stop trying to have a relationship with Champcar? Is I time I put my equipment for sale? I hope not....

Jake our team has been pit marshals at RA for many events and I can tell you we have never been turned away, never! Normal meeting place is the building next to the gas pumps and about 7:30 each morning. Now for communication yes you got it right it sucks but everyone is busy doing there thing and you are correct it should be simple task to change. Been involved for six years and it is better then before but if you want to do the event email whom ever is running the event like Mike Morrison and then email again until you get an answer. He works another job full time so it takes a little time to get an answer.

Hope to see you at an event soon.