Special K

Rolling miata fenders

In an effort to comply with the new fender rule, we've started rolling/pulling the fenders of the 90 miata.  So far have only done the fronts.  With a 205/50/15 and 3.5 degrees front camber, it still looks like a bit of a tight squeeze for the level to make it clear of the tire at 10 and 2.  Has anyone else with a miata pulled the fenders and cleared it with ease?  Or am I so incompetent that I'm replicating this whole test wrong?  I ran the level as the video in another post shows, but it it seems like the fender needs to come out a full country mile to make the level clear and I'm not sure there's any left to pull.  Hopefully this bit of rambling nonsense makes as much sense as it does in my head.

This is a 205 on a NA.  The fenders are barely rolled and it fits by miles.  

image.jpg

I gave up in the back on my Miata, where 245s are sticking way out.  Seems almost impossible to roll the rears.  I'm attaching flares.

@Jer On my E46 there is a bunch of seam sealer in the fender lip...If you don't know to look for it, you might build up a bunch of frustration trying to roll them.  I doubt it's the same with the Miata, but thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wink said:

What size/offset wheel are you running? A 205 should tuck easily 

205/50/15... 30 offset.  The fronts appear to be tucked in ok.  The rears, maybe not enough.  Rolling the rear fenders proved to be a lot of work for little gain.  We now have fender flares on standby in case its deemed a problem, but I think we may have gotten it sorted out

21 hours ago, Wink said:

What size/offset wheel are you running? A 205 should tuck easily 

For a Honda running 205s, my tires were tucked, but not legal per the fender rule since the side wall still touched the level at 11 and 1.  I attached the lid of a garbage can to each side of the car and now it appears to be legal. 

• Haha 3

So what’s the method here?  A horizontal flat edge across 10-2 or 11-1 and see if rubber touches, or looking vertical straight down the fender edge to see/not see tread?  I’ve seen the video, but also comments saying it’s flawed.  

I’ve got an nb with 15x9 Advanti S1’s and 225 RS4’s, it’s close but depends on the method.  

23 minutes ago, ETR said:

So what’s the method here?  A horizontal flat edge across 10-2 or 11-1 and see if rubber touches, or looking vertical straight down the fender edge to see/not see tread?  I’ve seen the video, but also comments saying it’s flawed.  

I’ve got an nb with 15x9 Advanti S1’s and 225 RS4’s, it’s close but depends on the method.  

From what I have been told its the level rule, not a "see tread" rule. 

1 hour ago, red0 said:

For a Honda running 205s, my tires were tucked, but not legal per the fender rule since the side wall still touched the level at 11 and 1.  I attached the lid of a garbage can to each side of the car and now it appears to be legal. 

(Assuming you used a plastic rubbish bin...)

A flexible fender is perfect since it will deform in a ‘rub’ and then pop out again. No need to pull the fenders during the next pit stop! Good thinking. 

Edited by enginerd

1 hour ago, red0 said:

That’s a great idea, cover those puppies up.jaguar-xjr-9-4.jpg.5cae6ea71528a57929a3b185c61b3e41.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Special K said:

205/50/15... 30 offset.  The fronts appear to be tucked in ok.  The rears, maybe not enough.  Rolling the rear fenders proved to be a lot of work for little gain.  We now have fender flares on standby in case its deemed a problem, but I think we may have gotten it sorted out

The white car is a 205/50/15 on a +30 wheel, unrolled. Plenty of coverage.

The black car is our solution to the problem

Fender 1.jpg

Fender 2.jpg

Fender 4.jpg

9 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Very Death Race-y. I like 'em.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:23 AM, Wink said:

The white car is a 205/50/15 on a +30 wheel, unrolled. Plenty of coverage.

The black car is our solution to the problem

Fender 2.jpg

Maybe its just me, but the black car looks like a perfect launching point for a wheel hop from behind which the fender coverage rule is trying to avoid.

Edited by Racer7x

2 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

Maybe its just me, but the black car looks like a perfect launching point for a wheel hop at speed from behind which the rule is trying to avoid?

so you still added some thing so you take the points and on the front air dam 10 PT and spliter 10 pt

2 hours ago, red0 said:

From what I have been told its the level rule, not a "see tread" rule. 

I see as the same none of the tire can hit the level!!

1 hour ago, Racer7x said:

Maybe its just me, but the black car looks like a perfect launching point for a wheel hop at speed from behind which the rule is trying to avoid?

We're covered from 10:00 to 2:00

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

As far as I've seen, there is no rule about lugnuts. Go for it

4Pcs 3.5"/90mm Universal Flexible Car Fender Flares Extra Wide Body Wheel Arches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTHC6CT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RoDsCb6HGZEVW

are these things acceptable?

4Pcs 3.5"/90mm Universal Flexible Car Fender Flares Extra Wide Body Wheel Arches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTHC6CT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RoDsCb6HGZEVW

Those flares are exactly what I bought two years ago but never used.  I will be using 2 in the back this season.  

1 hour ago, jbbugs said:

are these things acceptable?

These are allowable?

How many points?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

These are allowable?   Yes

How many points?       Per rules, I would think sq ft of materials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1