Jump to content
Special K

Rolling miata fenders

Recommended Posts

In an effort to comply with the new fender rule, we've started rolling/pulling the fenders of the 90 miata.  So far have only done the fronts.  With a 205/50/15 and 3.5 degrees front camber, it still looks like a bit of a tight squeeze for the level to make it clear of the tire at 10 and 2.  Has anyone else with a miata pulled the fenders and cleared it with ease?  Or am I so incompetent that I'm replicating this whole test wrong?  I ran the level as the video in another post shows, but it it seems like the fender needs to come out a full country mile to make the level clear and I'm not sure there's any left to pull.  Hopefully this bit of rambling nonsense makes as much sense as it does in my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a 205 on a NA.  The fenders are barely rolled and it fits by miles.  

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave up in the back on my Miata, where 245s are sticking way out.  Seems almost impossible to roll the rears.  I'm attaching flares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jer On my E46 there is a bunch of seam sealer in the fender lip...If you don't know to look for it, you might build up a bunch of frustration trying to roll them.  I doubt it's the same with the Miata, but thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wink said:

What size/offset wheel are you running? A 205 should tuck easily 

205/50/15... 30 offset.  The fronts appear to be tucked in ok.  The rears, maybe not enough.  Rolling the rear fenders proved to be a lot of work for little gain.  We now have fender flares on standby in case its deemed a problem, but I think we may have gotten it sorted out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wink said:

What size/offset wheel are you running? A 205 should tuck easily 

 

For a Honda running 205s, my tires were tucked, but not legal per the fender rule since the side wall still touched the level at 11 and 1.  I attached the lid of a garbage can to each side of the car and now it appears to be legal. 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what’s the method here?  A horizontal flat edge across 10-2 or 11-1 and see if rubber touches, or looking vertical straight down the fender edge to see/not see tread?  I’ve seen the video, but also comments saying it’s flawed.  

 

I’ve got an nb with 15x9 Advanti S1’s and 225 RS4’s, it’s close but depends on the method.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ETR said:

So what’s the method here?  A horizontal flat edge across 10-2 or 11-1 and see if rubber touches, or looking vertical straight down the fender edge to see/not see tread?  I’ve seen the video, but also comments saying it’s flawed.  

 

I’ve got an nb with 15x9 Advanti S1’s and 225 RS4’s, it’s close but depends on the method.  

 

 

From what I have been told its the level rule, not a "see tread" rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red0 said:

For a Honda running 205s, my tires were tucked, but not legal per the fender rule since the side wall still touched the level at 11 and 1.  I attached the lid of a garbage can to each side of the car and now it appears to be legal. 

(Assuming you used a plastic rubbish bin...)

A flexible fender is perfect since it will deform in a ‘rub’ and then pop out again. No need to pull the fenders during the next pit stop! Good thinking. 

Edited by enginerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red0 said:

 

For a Honda running 205s, my tires were tucked, but not legal per the fender rule since the side wall still touched the level at 11 and 1.  I attached the lid of a garbage can to each side of the car and now it appears to be legal. 

 

 

That’s a great idea, cover those puppies up.jaguar-xjr-9-4.jpg.5cae6ea71528a57929a3b185c61b3e41.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Special K said:

205/50/15... 30 offset.  The fronts appear to be tucked in ok.  The rears, maybe not enough.  Rolling the rear fenders proved to be a lot of work for little gain.  We now have fender flares on standby in case its deemed a problem, but I think we may have gotten it sorted out

The white car is a 205/50/15 on a +30 wheel, unrolled. Plenty of coverage.

 

The black car is our solution to the problem

Fender 1.jpg

Fender 2.jpg

Fender 4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Very Death Race-y. I like 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 10:23 AM, Wink said:

The white car is a 205/50/15 on a +30 wheel, unrolled. Plenty of coverage.

 

The black car is our solution to the problem

 

Fender 2.jpg

 

 

 

Maybe its just me, but the black car looks like a perfect launching point for a wheel hop from behind which the fender coverage rule is trying to avoid.

 

 

Edited by Racer7x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

 

 

Maybe its just me, but the black car looks like a perfect launching point for a wheel hop at speed from behind which the rule is trying to avoid?

 

so you still added some thing so you take the points and on the front air dam 10 PT and spliter 10 pt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, red0 said:

 

From what I have been told its the level rule, not a "see tread" rule. 

I see as the same none of the tire can hit the level!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Racer7x said:

 

 

Maybe its just me, but the black car looks like a perfect launching point for a wheel hop at speed from behind which the rule is trying to avoid?

 

 

 

We're covered from 10:00 to 2:00

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

As far as I've seen, there is no rule about lugnuts. Go for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4Pcs 3.5"/90mm Universal Flexible Car Fender Flares Extra Wide Body Wheel Arches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTHC6CT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RoDsCb6HGZEVW

are these things acceptable?

4Pcs 3.5"/90mm Universal Flexible Car Fender Flares Extra Wide Body Wheel Arches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTHC6CT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RoDsCb6HGZEVW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those flares are exactly what I bought two years ago but never used.  I will be using 2 in the back this season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbbugs said:

4Pcs 3.5"/90mm Universal Flexible Car Fender Flares Extra Wide Body Wheel Arches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTHC6CT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RoDsCb6HGZEVW

are these things acceptable?

4Pcs 3.5"/90mm Universal Flexible Car Fender Flares Extra Wide Body Wheel Arches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTHC6CT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RoDsCb6HGZEVW

These are allowable?

How many points?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

These are allowable?   Yes

How many points?       Per rules, I would think sq ft of materials.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...