Jump to content
Special K

Rolling miata fenders

Recommended Posts

  I cannot mesure a picture but it looks like two might be a square ft , thats a maybe almost guess not official , and plastic is 3 point's a square foot . So MAYBE a set "4" would be 6 points MAYBE . 

   As far as will they hold up we had one crash tested at Sebring and it held up suprisingly well and stayed in place . It was mounted properly and after replacing suspension damage it stayed on and finished the last 5hrs of the race .  If they perform that well they will be fine but if the track starts being littered with them and teams cant keep them attached or they break up they will not be allowed anymore... time will tell .

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think (and suggested to @National Tech and @Ray Franck at Sebring) that, similar to spacers, bolt-on flares should be free to a certain width. For example, an inch wide strip of material or flare should be "0" points. Exceed that limit, and they are materials (or a relatively reasonable fixed value per flare). 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jbbugs said:

These will make the whole series look like some Ricer/Wannabe Drift series😆

Everyone who adds these should paint them to match the body color so that at 50’ you can’t tell that it’s a bolt-on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snorman said:

I personally think (and suggested to @National Tech and @Ray Franck at Sebring) that, similar to spacers, bolt-on flares should be free to a certain width. For example, an inch wide strip of material or flare should be "0" points. Exceed that limit, and they are materials (or a relatively reasonable fixed value per flare). 

 

I'm in agreement here, only because tire widths are unlimited.  As a result flares are being required as a result of it for "safety".  My 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO MORE FREE STUFF!  If your tires dot fit go with a narrower tires! Simple

1 hour ago, hotchkis23 said:

I'm in agreement here, only because tire widths are unlimited.  As a result flares are being required as a result of it for "safety".  My 2 cents.

 

3 hours ago, Snorman said:

I personally think (and suggested to @National Tech and @Ray Franck at Sebring) that, similar to spacers, bolt-on flares should be free to a certain width. For example, an inch wide strip of material or flare should be "0" points. Exceed that limit, and they are materials (or a relatively reasonable fixed value per flare). 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, espog said:

NO MORE FREE STUFF!  If your tires dot fit go with a narrower tires! Simple

 

 

I was agreeing with this line of thought since it further limits 500 point cars.  Then we started taking a 5 lb. sledge to our Miata to cover our 245's with zero points.  Is that a good thing to encourage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, espog said:

NO MORE FREE STUFF!  If your tires dot fit go with a narrower tires! Simple

 

 

Tires/wheels are already free. There is a point of diminishing returns with tire width. 

Flares should be free to a point, and points past that, IMO.

S. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The result of the current rule is that cars running wider tires are going to look crappy (like mine) now that we have used the BFH and the Fender roller Stretcher© to make tires and wheels we already heavily invested in fit under the fenders without adding any materials.

 

Also, if we were to get any body damage, I have a good 8 hours in each "corner" massaging and stretching, so its more work to replace than just riveting on a flare.

 

So, I am also against "more free stuff", but its not that simple.  I had two choices:

A. Not use 2 sets of tires I already purchased, and go back to skinnier tires.  Good for tire rack, bad for me.

B. Make the 245's fit any way possible, for zero points, since I dont have any to spare.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Can somebody do the materials math and get an answer?

121 sq in by my math.  So approx 10 points for a set.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My flares are .8" x 12" *(2) = 19.2 square inches --> 19.2/144 = .133 square foot * 3 = .4 points

Does .4 points round up or down? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The flares should not be free,   Its material that one might need to enhance performance via another item that is already zero points.  (tires and wheels)  It'd be nice if there was some sort of limit on performance somewhere.   This is as backdoor as it gets but at least its a limit to the free stuff.   If a team needs to go to a smaller set of wheels, there is a market for the bigger ones in the time attack world, all is not lost.   

 

Limiting tire and wheel size would have done a lot more in limiting speed and cost creep, but that water is already in the ocean.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

The flares should not be free,   Its material that one might need to enhance performance via another item that is already zero points.  (tires and wheels)  It'd be nice if there was some sort of limit on performance somewhere.   This is as backdoor as it gets but at least its a limit to the free stuff.   If a team needs to go to a smaller set of wheels, there is a market for the bigger ones in the time attack world, all is not lost.   

 

Limiting tire and wheel size would have done a lot more in limiting speed and cost creep, but that water is already in the ocean.

 

 

Split feelings on the matter, while we share the "no more free things" mantra, I will tell you the pony(car) has already run off, closing the gate is almost moot... Personally, wider tires may reduce our long term costs, yes, at the same time it will help us keep up with the Jones-es ( in well built/driven sc300)

 

Edited by Team Infiniti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Huggy said:

^thats not the purpose of this rule at all.

 

its for SAFETY remember

I didn't mean to say it was the purpose, I get that    It may be the best unintended consequence ever tho.    

 

maybe find a heavier e30 in a book somewhere, you can get some more points back in the calculator.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, red0 said:

My flares are .8" x 12" *(2) = 19.2 square inches --> 19.2/144 = .133 square foot * 3 = .4 points

Does .4 points round up or down? 

It doesn’t round. It just adds to all your other points.

 

The place where it matters of course is ‘over/under 500’. If you have 500.4 points, that’s 1 penalty lap. If it’s 494.4 points, that’s not a penalty lap.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, enginerd said:

It doesn’t round. It just adds to all your other points. 

 

OK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, has there been an Official ruling if the plastic flares are OK?  

I don't want to show up at Indy only to be told they won't comply.

 

Edited by jbbugs
add to the text
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbbugs said:

So, has there been an Official ruling if the plastic flares are OK?  

Ray Franck works Tech and answered that question in his post right above yours yesterday.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 8:29 AM, Huggy said:

^thats not the purpose of this rule at all.

 

its for SAFETY remember

 

It's for safety, but its purpose is to make sure that performance modifications are done in a safe way. Making flares free would be like allowing a tube frame because your unibody twisting from a V8 swap is unsafe.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...