Team Infiniti

V6 e30 Quasi Build Thread

1 minute ago, MPRLkld said:

whole

It just showed as inventory coming out tomorrow, they will not sell whole.

Tomorrow I can check if its a stick or auto, 2 or 4 door

It never hurts to have all 4 corners set up and ready to bolt on if you have the space to tote them.  Why struggle with a rear wheel bearing when you can change out the whole corner quicker....  

• Like 1

I love spares but what parts should be prioritized? I hear much about rear bearings so thats easy, what else?

Rear bearings aren't bad and dont fail often.  Always keep spare front hubs.  For good measure, I always have both masters and all 4 calipers too.  And extra caliper sliders and bolts.  Every now and then they seem to like to back out once the thread locker wears off and the crew forgets to put more on.

My car is EC with an M52 swap.  I can tell you that the brakes are sufficient.  I just buy centric rotors from tire rack, but you will want to vent them with what you are doing or else it's new brakes and hubs after every race.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I love spares but what parts should be prioritized? I hear much about rear bearings so thats easy, what else?

Pfft. Spares! You are campaigning an e30! They don’t break! 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Pfft. Spares! You are campaigning an e30! They don’t break! 

Unless you run Sebring.  We finish well everywhere else but can't get past the 5 hour mark at our home track.  Hell I'm tickled when the car let's me finish a DE there with no issues.  ☹️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

It just showed as inventory coming out tomorrow, they will not sell whole.

Tomorrow I can check if its a stick or auto, 2 or 4 door  What the heck am I looking at?

2.7L 3.75 steering lock to lock, 2.9ish posi diff and abs

Edited by Team Infiniti

yep, get the whole corner for both fronts. IE springs (stiffer than stock by a decent amount) and offset lollies, good chance there's Bilstein inserts in those housings too (blue boots and large OD strut rod)

11 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

yep, get the whole corner for both fronts. IE springs (stiffer than stock by a decent amount) and offset lollies, good chance there's Bilstein inserts in those housings too (blue boots and large OD strut rod)

Looks like yellow bilstiens on back and wheel studs

Skipping the posi but plan on all 4 corners, tie rods/balljoints are tight, rear arms look like someone put love in a few years ago as well

should I snag the ABS? do I grab the trans for reasonably priced resale to one of you guys?

Edited by Team Infiniti

ABS is a PITA to install unless you plan on doing the whole body harness, or lots of custom wiring.  Im sure your up to it.

No need for the trans here, unless its super cheap <$100.  That will be a deep bell housing trans for the dual mass flywheel, assuming thats the '86 car

If thats a 2.91 posi, ("S" on the diff tag), its worth good money to people who swap ZF transmissions in.  $300ish

Edited by Huggy

10 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Looks like yellow bilstiens on back and wheel studs

Skipping the posi but plan on all 4 corners, tie rods/balljoints are tight, rear arms look like someone put love in a few years ago as well

should I snag the ABS? do I grab the trans for reasonably priced resale to one of you guys?

Pop the driveshaft loose at the trans and just drop the whole rear subframe (highlighted below + nuts on the spring top hats + cutting the parking brake and brake lines). Probably easier than trying to get the control arms off individually. Might also have poly subframe mounts and toe/camber kit on the subframe too.

image.png.ea7d56cca47a45c5341e146c8e596767.png

image.png.55c8c149feb29ec852be122be06a5251.png

As @Huggy says, the LSD's tend to be worth some $$$, depending on the yard cost might as well grab it and sell it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Came here to say grab entire rear subframe.  Easier than grabbing corners and you may need a subframe at some point...  my buddy has gone through a couple...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

the LSD's tend to be worth some $$$,

Grab even with the crap ratio?

Can I easily swap the lsd into a open 4:10?

Edited by Team Infiniti

12 hours ago, MPRLkld said:

Unless you run Sebring.  We finish well everywhere else but can't get past the 5 hour mark at our home track.  Hell I'm tickled when the car let's me finish a DE there with no issues.  ☹️

PM me. We were just down there. Finished 10th the first day then were up in 3rd until something broke :(

It was a cheap part too. I plan on going back this year. 

3 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Not easily.  IT would need to be re-shimmed, and the shim kits are $$$$munich$$$$

I traded a S2.73 straight up for a S4.10 to someone with a S52/ZF swap though.  I bet you could do the same.

34 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Not easily.  IT would need to be re-shimmed, and the shim kits are $$$$munich$$$$

I traded a S2.73 straight up for a S4.10 to someone with a S52/ZF swap though.  I bet you could do the same.

Noted

Got my wreckage in the air right now trying to figure out how and what tools will be needed.

15 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Noted

Got my wreckage in the air right now trying to figure out how and what tools will be needed.

17 for driveshaft nuts.  Use a screwdriver to hold it still or put in 1st.

6mm allen for axle nuts

17 for diff bolts

19x2 for rear diff mount

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

The reason why the 2:91 isn’t a crap ratio to some people is because the ZF transmission Huggy was alluding to has a 1:1 fifth gear instead of over drive so all the ratios are a lot lower. It works out to be the equivalent of about a 3:63 used with a transmission that has a typical .8 overdrive fifth.

I believe that the source for the 4:10 medium case diffs are mostly automatics.

• Thanks 1

I ask again, any merit to grabbing the ABS? is it sort of self contained?

May try for complete front crossmember as well

Edited by Team Infiniti

3 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I ask again, any merit to grabbing the ABS? is it sort of self contained?

May try for complete front crossmember as well

If you call miles of spaghetti for wiring "self contained", then yeah...

I know the couple bimmers I did cages on had more wiring in them than 10 cars combined!

15 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=AF93-USA-09-1990-E30-BMW-318is

Meet your new best friend :)

Exploded diagrams of every assembly with part numbers including hardware. Almost anything on an E30 can be done with 10, 13, 17 and 19mm wrenches and sockets, and a set of allen bit drivers from 4 to 10mm. 

Damn, the pictures on the index page are way more info than what can be found for my racecar - much less the exploded diagrams!

More reason for BMW's being labeled as the 'easy button.'

Hell, everything we do needs to be researched extensively. But it's more rewarding when you get it right...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

If you want ABS this is not the BMW to get it from……

Tell me why, I thought oem abs would be the only thing allowed for zero points