Team Infiniti

V6 e30 Quasi Build Thread

quasi (kwāˈzīˌ, -sīˌ, kwäˈzē, -sē)

adj.

Having a likeness to something; resembling

I will start here,  Quasi removed when seriousness sets in, this will likely happen, may not, will know for sure after going to Road Atlanta to seek advice from any and all e30 gurus and teams, expect to see me prowling the pits asking stupid questions.

Goal: A podium capable e30 with alternate powerplant/auto trans.(210hp)

Pics already posted in other threads, will bring some here later...

As most know I am looking for a Solid reason reason not to do this, assuming we have the actual engineering/fab/electrical covered, why will this not work/be a dog or other reason.

Tear me up!

Edited by Team Infiniti

Do eet!

245 15inch tires.  Big WANG and front airdam if you have the points.

Bilsteins for shocks is the easy button.  

Get some aftermarket stiffer springs.

Go from there.

Would like to know what engine is going in and I would verify that you get teh 75 pts back for being an automatic if it is NOT the OEM automatic for the car.

Yay build thread! 

Question I dont think we've asked yet- Does the Infinity drivetrain spin the correct rotation for the E30 diff? 

In terms of electrics, I would heavily consider leaving the body harness E30 and connecting your motor in at the C101. Not a lot passes between chassis and engine harness in any mid 80's to late 90's BMW. https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=163088 It's been awhile since I played in E21/E30/E34 land but should be able to pop in a 6 cyl cluster, hook up to the C101 where possible and run. Is a good bit of fat in the stock harness though...

3 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

Yay build thread! 

Question I dont think we've asked yet- Does the Infinity drivetrain spin the correct rotation for the E30 diff? 

In terms of electrics, I would heavily consider leaving the body harness E30 and connecting your motor in at the C101. Not a lot passes between chassis and engine harness in any mid 80's to late 90's BMW. https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=163088 It's been awhile since I played in E21/E30/E34 land but should be able to pop in a 6 cyl cluster, hook up to the C101 where possible and run. Is a good bit of fat in the stock harness though...

Rotation, yikes! I will get on that.

Tires, hmm,how about 245/40-17?  I recently acquired a new set of 4x100 17x9  wheels, they will need 1/4in spacer up front tho.

As for harness, there are several levels/reasons

1) 100% dislike for european electrics and mechanics

2) Infiniti dash cluster/speed buffer circuit required to make automatic shift.

3) Infiniti has separate TCU (Trans Control Unit) half interwoven with inside fuse block/delay wipers, it will be a monumental task unwinding everything.

4)Reliability.   Aside from a recent mystery blown tail fuse @ Sept Sebring, we have had zero(0) electrical issues with Infiniti wires.

5)...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Would like to know what engine is going in and I would verify that you get teh 75 pts back for being an automatic if it is NOT the OEM automatic for the car.

Quoting the VPI table notes below, we will "pay" 25pts for the non oe trans swap, there is no other rulebook word on this matter.

"Note #1
- Deduct 75 points from the value listed if the car is raced with an automatic transmission"

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

41 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

Yay build thread! 

Does the E30 have an off side R&P. I though most of the E30/36/46 diffs were similar case, but different cover.  Aren't they somewhat interchangable.  People put all sorts of other engines in them for drifting, so I don't see why a Nissan would be any different.

19 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Quoting the VPI table notes below, we will "pay" 25pts for the non oe trans swap, there is no other rulebook word on this matter.

"Note #1
- Deduct 75 points from the value listed if the car is raced with an automatic transmission"

Totally get that.  Im just a little too gun shy on building an entire car without having that part carved in stone!

450 starting value.

+50 for engine swap

+25 for Trans swap

- 75 for automatic trans

---------------------

450 pts.

Nice!  

You could get 188 hp without going over the 50 pt swap hit.  200 Hp is only 5 pts.....

200 Hp, 4.10 rearend LSD, reliability, like 19 gallons of fuel for 455 pts....

• Like 2

The only issue with HP is, the auto will be sucking ruffly 8% more hp then a stick and we loose engine brakeing.

Edited by Team Infiniti

why an E30 for a swap like this?  I would think there are lower point cars you can build from.

2 minutes ago, theblue said:

why an E30 for a swap like this?  I would think there are lower point cars you can build from.

God’s Chariot. That’s why. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, theblue said:

Cant lie, they handle and are light, not to mention, one fell in my lap for $150

• Like 1

E30 "medium" case has the Ring gear on the left side.

Nissan R200 has the ring on the left side also.

Both pinions are below the centerline.

I think you are good on rotation.  SR20 swapped e30's are a thing.

E30 with 17" wheels is not common because of gear ratio.  You effectively lengthen the ratio by going to a larger diameter tire.  All depends on your transmission choice and your engines powerband.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Putting the stock wheel and tire next to the 255/40–17 it was only a half an inch taller

Driveline was designed for 3.91 gear 

Keep Going!

Edited by Team Infiniti

3 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Putting the stock wheel and tire next to the 255/40–17 it was only a half an inch taller

Driveline was designed for 3.91 gear 

837 revs per mile vs 915....about 10% worst on gearing.  Basically you go from a 4:10 to. 3.73.....

• Like 1

What size tires do e30 race with ?

Is there any steeper ratios available that are non-swap points? 

Edited by Team Infiniti

1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

As most know I am looking for a Solid reason reason not to do this, assuming we have the actual engineering/fab/electrical covered, why will this not work/be a dog or other reason.

Tear me up!

Future e30 swap weight reductions would keep me away from a build like this, I think you are very brave. 

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

Future e30 swap weight reductions would keep me away from a build like this, I think you are very brave. 

You might be right, but at the same time, all it would cost us would be the removal of a piece of Aero.

Saying that, speed creep, in 2 years you think that people are going to believe the e30 deserves a penalty lap? 

Are we having domination problem swapped or un swapped? 

Edited by Team Infiniti

Tires, hmm,how about 245/40-17?  I recently acquired a new set of 4x100 17x9  wheels, they will need 1/4in spacer up front tho.

As for harness, there are several levels/reasons

1) 100% dislike for european electrics and mechanics

2) Infiniti dash cluster/speed buffer circuit required to make automatic shift.

3) Infiniti has separate TCU (Trans Control Unit) half interwoven with inside fuse block/delay wipers, it will be a monumental task unwinding everything.

4)Reliability.   Aside from a recent mystery blown tail fuse @ Sept Sebring, we have had zero(0) electrical issues with Infiniti wires.

5)...

Fair enough! The couple BMW's I've swapped over the years were "in the family" so it was a matter of making the C101's match, jumping a few things in or out, mechanical install and then good to rock. 

On tires, most I see are 245/45/15's in Champ, or 225's elsewhere. I'd be curious about the weight difference going to 17's, maybe @mcoppola has some more educated insight there?

What size tires do e30 race with ?

Is there any steeper ratios available that are non-swap points? 

205, 225, and 245 15" tires.

4:10 is the highest you can get, i think.  there were some 4.27 diffs made, grey area Id stay away from.  Costly too

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

837 revs per mile vs 915....about 10% worst on gearing.  Basically you go from a 4:10 to. 3.73.....

What if

852 vs 816.........245/45-15 vs 245/40-17

or

852 vs 806.........245/45-15 vs 255/40-17 (because we have some half burnt shark tires)

stock 195/60-14  is 869 rev per

Saying this

Anyone have some wide 15in rims in 4x100?

Edited by Team Infiniti

If you re-arrange the correct check balls to manualize the valve body, and boost the line pressure is it still an automatic?

Unrelated, but Paddle shifters are 0 points because driver comfort right?

I really shouldn't be left to my own devices....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

Fair enough! The couple BMW's I've swapped over the years were "in the family" so it was a matter of making the C101's match, jumping a few things in or out, mechanical install and then good to rock. 

On tires, most I see are 245/45/15's in Champ, or 225's elsewhere. I'd be curious about the weight difference going to 17's, maybe @mcoppola has some more educated insight there?

We were running some heavy rims when we were running 245/40/17's. We now have 245/40/15's and lighter wheels and it dropped 12 pounds per corner between the tire and wheel. Almost 50 lbs total of rotational unsprung weight. 

Plus the 2" difference dropped our car another 1" besides helping with the gear ratio. Win x3 or 4 ways

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1