Sign in to follow this  
Indysupra

Any teams taking advantage of the new vpi list?

Anyone building a new car due to the change in some of the point values? We are  about 1/3 way completed with our new build! We are alittle nervous about stepping away from a winning/competitive e30 but think we are headed in the right direction.  

There are many new builds I know of. 

Boxsters
S2Ks

Datsuns 
etc. etc. 

All new cars at 500 points. 

I was concerned about some of these new fast cars, but then I was reminded of a bunch of 1960 sprites racing other antiques in SCCA. Soon cars like the E30 and even the E36 will be getting rare, and it is good for the series to allow modern cars of reasonable performance into the VPI list. 

So whata building? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, red0 said:

Boxsters
S2Ks

Datsuns 
etc. etc. 

I was concerned about some of these new fast cars, but then I was reminded of a bunch of 1960 sprites racing other antiques in SCCA. Soon cars like the E30 and even the E36 will be getting rare, and it is good for the series to allow modern cars of reasonable performance into the VPI list. 

So whata building? 

I agree, and soon it might make more sense to run a newer car thats quick out of the box with zero mods.  I think thats a good thing for the series, a low barrier to entry to be in a competitive car (even tho strategy and driving may need work).  That will attract new teams more than having to spend big $$ and years figuring out how to keep a 130hp 30yr old miata quick...   But I do hope that the older cars like NA miatas, fox mustangs, FC RX7s, e30s keep getting points lowered accordingly so us old timers can keep up!  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

I agree, and soon it might make more sense to run a newer car thats quick out of the box with zero mods.  I think thats a good thing for the series, a low barrier to entry to be in a competitive car (even tho strategy and driving may need work).  That will attract new teams more than having to spend big $$ and years figuring out how to keep a 130hp 30yr old miata quick...   But I do hope that the older cars like NA miatas, fox mustangs, FC RX7s, e30s keep getting points lowered accordingly so us old timers can keep up!  

I'm hoping that instead of needing to lower points on older cars, the new cars can come into the series with point values giving them some parity with the existing cars of the series. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, red0 said:

Boxsters
S2Ks

Datsuns 
etc. etc. 

So whata building? 

You left out the antique that is your passion   :)

4 minutes ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

1 minute ago, red0 said:

I'm hoping that instead of needing to lower points on older cars, the new cars can come into the series with point values giving them some parity with the existing cars of the series. 

It will be a tough balance.  We have been in a period of real advancement and improvements in the performance potential of newer cars.   No one in this series like the idea of any restrictions so holding new stuff to the speed of the old won't be easy.   Not impossible but certainly not easy.

So back to the OP, what is the new build?

32 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

It will be a tough balance.  We have been in a period of real advancement and improvements in the performance potential of newer cars.   No one in this series like the idea of any restrictions so holding new stuff to the speed of the old won't be easy.   Not impossible but certainly not easy.

So back to the OP, what is the new build?

I thought that VPi assessment and resulting penalty laps was the main method of maintaining that balance. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mender said:

I thought that VPi assessment and resulting penalty laps was the main method of maintaining that balance. 

It is.  It just won’t be easy.   Very few will build and take laps.   It’s a perception problem  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Indysupra said:

We are building a 91 c4 vette. 

That sounds like a cool build! 

A few C4's have raced in the series. I think the right build and team can do well with one. 

It's at least as much the team as it is the car.

Unless you're racing a BMW, then it's all the team

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Team Infiniti said:

Shameless plug: 

I have one and a half c4 Corvettes for sale 

84s, right?  I am curious what a fully ported Crossfire intake would do, but not enough to take on a new build :)   I still have an unhealthy obsession with wanting to build a C3 or TDI-swapped something.  So yeah, count me with the “antique” crowd.  Heck, even a late 4th gen F-body is pushing antique status.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karman1970 said:

84s, right?  I am curious what a fully ported Crossfire intake would do, but not enough to take on a new build :)   I still have an unhealthy obsession with wanting to build a C3 or TDI-swapped something.  So yeah, count me with the “antique” crowd.  Heck, even a late 4th gen F-body is pushing antique status.

Yes, one is a complete 5.7 crossfire, 4+3 manual

6 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

It is.  It just won’t be easy.   Very few will build and take laps.   It’s a perception problem  

You don't need to put every new car on the VPI table.. just the ones which are at, below, or close to the performance of an SC300. I can think of a ton of modern cars which would be below 500 points.... chevy cruze... Prius... lots of Kias.... honda civic

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Shameless plug: 

I have one and a half c4 Corvettes for sale 

You're building the wrong car.

20 gallons (22 with cell), 245 (or 375) hp, 2700 lbs race weight; 450 points.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

550 4.6 Mustangs, 5.7 Challengers, 99 to 04 N/A cobras and Mach 1's.  Gen 3 Corvete with an LT4 and a 6060. 89 to 96 TBird with a Lincoln MKVIII motor and a 3560. 

We cannot forget the swap possibilities. Not nearly as boring as........those other cars.

The possibilities are quite numerous. Think outside the box.

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

You don't need to put every new car on the VPI table.. just the ones which are at, below, or close to the performance of an SC300. I can think of a ton of modern cars which would be below 500 points.... chevy cruze... Prius... lots of Kias.... honda civic

Edited by Cam Benty

5 hours ago, enginerd said:

True.  It probably won’t be a problem giving a point value to a Cruze when the droves of people show up wanting to race them.    I was thinking about cars that would be fun to race.   It’s doable and necessary to bring newer cars in.  And at some point it will obsolete the current cars.    I think that’s quite a ways down the road, but it will happen  

We feel like the c4 has huge potential. 22 gallon cell. 285 to 315 tires that fit pretty well with inexpensive wheels, simple suspension that works well with little mods that is sprung pretty decent from the factory. The engine gets a bad rap due to the shitty intake but there are some champ friendly mods that help get some rpm out of it. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Indysupra said:

We feel like the c4 has huge potential. 22 gallon cell. 285 to 315 tires that fit pretty well with inexpensive wheels, simple suspension that works well with little mods that is sprung pretty decent from the factory. The engine gets a bad rap due to the shitty intake but there are some champ friendly mods that help get some rpm out of it. 

i think its that transmission everyone is scared of.  i know the ZR-none team after talking to them about it just talked how horrible it was.  the first race for them i think they made it 2 laps before it went boom.

We talked about building one before we did the cobra, it has potential for sure.

7 hours ago, mender said:

You're building the wrong car.

20 gallons (22 with cell), 245 (or 375) hp, 2700 lbs race weight; 450 points.

Ummm, we already have a heavy, hungry, fast v8 car that has dispatched every c4 it has met, the whole point of building something different is to reduce weight and consumables without hurting speed or reliability.

1 minute ago, MoparBoyy said:

We talked about building one before we did the cobra, it has potential for sure.

Well yeah, because we hauled half a C4 from Florida to Virginia. 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

True.  It probably won’t be a problem giving a point value to a Cruze when the droves of people show up wanting to race them.    I was thinking about cars that would be fun to race.   It’s doable and necessary to bring newer cars in.  And at some point it will obsolete the current cars.    I think that’s quite a ways down the road, but it will happen  

Everything is fun to race. A Cruze would be the equivalent to a 21st century VW Rabbit. There has got to be a bazillion of them out there. The problem is going to be finding manual transmissions on most of the newer cars, nobody is buying them anymore. The CUV boom that the new car industry is currently in might be the scariest outlook for the future. Movie announcer voice: " Picture a world where there are no more cool automobiles to race real cheap" We probably should all be hoarding E30 and NA tubs.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

i think its that transmission everyone is scared of.  i know the ZR-none team after talking to them about it just talked how horrible it was.  the first race for them i think they made it 2 laps before it went boom.

Totally different trans that is in the later l98 cars. They were running a doug Nash 4+3 and yes that trans is beyond terrible. The later ones have a German zf that is the predecessor to the t-56. Perry stout transmissions. 

Edited by Indysupra
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indysupra said:

Totally different trans that is in the later l98 cars. They were running a doing Nash 4+3 and yes that trans is beyond terrible. The later ones have a German zf that is the predecessor to the t-56. Perry stout transmissions. 

yeah that was 89 they made the switch?  trying to find a cheap 89-91 C4 with a manual was a task.  Good luck though, can't wait to see it!

• Like 1