Jump to content
Burningham

Road Atlanta - It was a hot one on a cold day

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Doc said:

Glad you got it back. Ya know that was us that just got by you seconds before the hit. Next time....🤣

Congrats to your team Doc!  The footage from your car on the broadcast showed the level of talent you’ve got behind the wheel these days.  The car seems stouter too, but your team has definitely proven that good drivers are the best way to improve results (of course you need a car that can make it to the finish too)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got blacked flagged for passing under yellow.  Our driver said the car he passed was giving him the spot back.  Because we had been passed under yellow in the previous corner.  We showed Champ staff the video and they gave us a lap back.  This is what makes Champcar such a great series.  We had a blast.  Full race write up to come.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really shocked by the attrition.  Pit lane was a virtual ghost town in the last hour.

 

We had a weekend of extreme highs and extreme lows.  It started with the liftgate getting stuck, during load-in, with a car on it.  That set us back a long way.  We had planned to use Thursday evening to do the finishing touches on both cars.  When the hauler arrived at 11:00 PM on Thursday night and flight delays forced the crew to arrive at 2:00 AM, it turned into an all-nighter.  And then...the lift gate got stuck again.  We've never had problems with it in 7+ years.  Suddenly, it's fussy.

 

First practice session:  3 laps in...power steering line blows off fitting.  Crew works to fix it.

Second practice session:  1 lap in, power steering line blows fitting on the other end.  Crew goes back to work.  Makes a new hose.

Third session:  Lowering the car to go out, it falls off a jack stand and crushes the clutch line and brake line.  Crew "borrows" lines from second car.  Lengthy repair.

Final session:  Clutch and brake fixed.  Power steering line blows again on first lap.  New "super duper" power steering hose arrives with 20 minutes left.  Crew goes to work.  Car enters pit lane at 4:54 with driver who has never driven Road Atlanta.  Need hardship lap for car and driver.  Sadly, checkered flag flies 6 minutes early and we're directed back to the paddock.

 

With crew exhausted and the second car still in pieces, we called it a day.  All the issues with the EC pretty much ended the weekend for our C class car.

 

Only our EC car made it to the grid for race day.  With only 4 laps on it, we had fingers crossed.  The good news is that it ran flawlessly for 7 hours and 10 minutes.  Drivers stayed clean.  No wheels off, no fenders scratched, or any mistakes in the pits.  A perfect race...so far.  Huge lead in EC.

 

At 7 hours and 10 minutes, we had a 32-lap lead in EC.  And then, the transmission broke.  Car stranded on the back stretch.  It was flat towed to the paddock and the crew said, "time us".  70 minutes later, transmission was changed and we were back on track...only 5 laps down in EC.  The next 2 hour stint was perfect.  Good lap times and we regained the lead.  5 laps up on 2nd place, we put our second to last driver in the car.  Our fastest driver.

 

About 10 minutes in, the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there.  Clutch was disengaged.  So, the car would go into gear, but driver had never experienced this before.  This is where it got interesting and a lot of fun.  A quick lesson from the crew about bump starting the car with the starter and rev-match shifting.

 

In the dark, with crappy lights and learning to shift without the clutch, Jason was dropping lap times in big chunks.  He ended up running a 1:57 with poor lighting and no clutch.  Every time he went by and downshifted in turn 1, our crew went nuts.

 

Sadly, the transmission would only put up with that for about 30 minutes.  When we lost 4th gear, we decided to call it a night.  Congrats to Wankels Wankers who never gave up and kept digging in EC.  We had a fun back and forth battle for the lead.

 

See you guys art Road America!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

I was really shocked by the attrition.  Pit lane was a virtual ghost town in the last hour.

 

We had a weekend of extreme highs and extreme lows.  It started with the liftgate getting stuck, during load-in, with a car on it.  That set us back a long way.  We had planned to use Thursday evening to do the finishing touches on both cars.  When the hauler arrived at 11:00 PM on Thursday night and flight delays forced the crew to arrive at 2:00 AM, it turned into an all-nighter.  And then...the lift gate got stuck again.  We've never had problems with it in 7+ years.  Suddenly, it's fussy.

 

First practice session:  3 laps in...power steering line blows off fitting.  Crew works to fix it.

Second practice session:  1 lap in, power steering line blows fitting on the other end.  Crew goes back to work.  Makes a new hose.

Third session:  Lowering the car to go out, it falls off a jack stand and crushes the clutch line and brake line.  Crew "borrows" lines from second car.  Lengthy repair.

Final session:  Clutch and brake fixed.  Power steering line blows again on first lap.  New "super duper" power steering hose arrives with 20 minutes left.  Crew goes to work.  Car enters pit lane at 4:54 with driver who has never driven Road Atlanta.  Need hardship lap for car and driver.  Sadly, checkered flag flies 6 minutes early and we're directed back to the paddock.

 

With crew exhausted and the second car still in pieces, we called it a day.  All the issues with the EC pretty much ended the weekend for our C class car.

 

Only our EC car made it to the grid for race day.  With only 4 laps on it, we had fingers crossed.  The good news is that it ran flawlessly for 7 hours and 10 minutes.  Drivers stayed clean.  No wheels off, no fenders scratched, or any mistakes in the pits.  A perfect race...so far.  Huge lead in EC.

 

At 7 hours and 10 minutes, we had a 32-lap lead in EC.  And then, the transmission broke.  Car stranded on the back stretch.  It was flat towed to the paddock and the crew said, "time us".  70 minutes later, transmission was changed and we were back on track...only 5 laps down in EC.  The next 2 hour stint was perfect.  Good lap times and we regained the lead.  5 laps up on 2nd place, we put our second to last driver in the car.  Our fastest driver.

 

About 10 minutes in, the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there.  Clutch was disengaged.  So, the car would go into gear, but driver had never experienced this before.  This is where it got interesting and a lot of fun.  A quick lesson from the crew about bump starting the car with the starter and rev-match shifting.

 

In the dark, with crappy lights and learning to shift without the clutch, Jason was dropping lap times in big chunks.  He ended up running a 1:57 with poor lighting and no clutch.  Every time he went by and downshifted in turn 1, our crew went nuts.

 

Sadly, the transmission would only put up with that for about 30 minutes.  When we lost 4th gear, we decided to call it a night.  Congrats to Wankels Wankers who never gave up and kept digging in EC.  We had a fun back and forth battle for the lead.

 

See you guys art Road America!

I talked to the 1st stint driver later in the day. He and I battled for a good hour and he helped me set the team FTD of the weekend with a 1:45.2.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard rumors that Biohazard was running crabbed down the straights, can anyone confirm?  It was not confidence-inspiring in places like the esses for sure.  I got everything out of it that it had.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jer said:

I heard rumors that Biohazard was running crabbed down the straights, can anyone confirm?  It was not confidence-inspiring in places like the esses for sure.  I got everything out of it that it had.  

Heard the same, hopefully there's a video out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jer said:

I heard rumors that Biohazard was running crabbed down the straights, can anyone confirm?  It was not confidence-inspiring in places like the esses for sure.  I got everything out of it that it had.  

It did appear to be a bit off. I played with the Biohazard car a little during the last ~hour of the race, but we were only running at ~80% and maintaining position while trying not to spit the rear pads out of the calipers (almost no pad left at pitout). We didn't have anything to be gained by racing at that point. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snorman said:

It did appear to be a bit off. I played with the Biohazard car a little during the last ~hour of the race, but we were only running at ~80% and maintaining position while trying not to spit the rear pads out of the calipers (almost no pad left at pitout). We didn't have anything to be gained by racing at that point. 

 

How did you get 3rd gear back on Friday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, red0 said:

 

How did you get 3rd gear back on Friday?

With a new trans. We did a swap in about an hour.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Darth Turbo said:

I think they could have found my team and asked them about it instead of pulling me from the race.

Sure seemed like a long time between the incident and the BF where "they" (meaning "us") could have. That causes some confusion for sure because as we all know drivers have short memories, but in our (speaking as the series here) there is so much going on near the end of the race that it takes some time to "get to it" as it were. Again, glad it was worked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, red0 said:

 

How did you get 3rd gear back on Friday?

 

16 minutes ago, Snorman said:

With a new trans. We did a swap in about an hour.

 

 

hour? more like 31 mins, we ran a timer :)

 

this is what 3rd gear looked like....

IMG_20190208_162400.jpg

Edited by MoparBoyy
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Snorman said:

It did appear to be a bit off. I played with the Biohazard car a little during the last ~hour of the race, but we were only running at ~80% and maintaining position while trying not to spit the rear pads out of the calipers (almost no pad left at pitout). We didn't have anything to be gained by racing at that point. 

That was me.   What were you driving?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mindspin311 said:

Curious how a 4cyl E36 managed to put up a 1:42.6 lap time

 

They are extremely talented engineers and drivers,  and they are from the north where most of the talent is. :) 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

Curious how a 4cyl E36 managed to put up a 1:42.6 lap time

 

1 minute ago, red0 said:

 

They are extremely talented engineers and drivers,  and they are from the north where most of the talent is. :) 

I'll 2nd that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jer said:

I heard rumors that Biohazard was running crabbed down the straights, can anyone confirm?  It was not confidence-inspiring in places like the esses for sure.  I got everything out of it that it had.  

yes it was- I'm sure I can find some footage.

 

Great seeing you this weekend- nice run at the end, but just not enough time to get it done...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

Curious how a 4cyl E36 managed to put up a 1:42.6 lap time

 

If you were watching them go through turn 12, they came through hanging the rear out onto the outside rumble strips every lap. That's more talent than I have. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, red0 said:

 

If you were watching them go through turn 12, they came through hanging the rear out onto the outside rumble strips every lap. That's more talent than I have. 

 

That's the FUN way through there! The 626 had more grip than it could use there and turn 1. It was way too easy 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't pay much attn to the rbank honda since they were on jack stands much of the day but that tiny honda ran a 1:43 which kinda shocked me and made me wonder the same thing y'all are asking about the 4cyl e36. I'm sure they have plenty of points to play with but daaaaaamn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

I didn't pay much attn to the rbank honda since they were on jack stands much of the day but that tiny honda ran a 1:43 which kinda shocked me and made me wonder the same thing y'all are asking about the 4cyl e36. I'm sure they have plenty of points to play with but daaaaaamn

 

It ran 1:43 in 2017, 1:42 in 2018, and 1:43 in 2019. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We (Love Racing) had a pretty eventful race. I'll give a full report during lunch but every one of our four drivers dropped 7 whole seconds off of their PR from last year. Still plenty of pace left in the car, and we are learning a ton as drivers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×