Burningham

Road Atlanta - It was a hot one on a cold day

32 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

Its a hobby for all of us (i think) I hate going back to my 9-5 job after race weekends.  On the plus side i just got a new boss, turns out he too races in ChampCar!

That's a huge plus!

Dunno how many folks that run in Champcar are connected with the auto industry, but based on the tow rigs and such, it seems like a lot, but that could be misleading.

After every race, Monday especially I call it the racing hangover. So sad it’s done and always trying to find a way to do it for a living. 

• Like 3

I wonder if I were to put a big $ on the hood would it help me win?  You know, like when people see it in the mirror they say I gotta get out of this guy's way he is a big money racer.  Couldn't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Burningham said:

I wonder if I were to put a big $ on the hood would it help me win?  You know, like when people see it in the mirror they say I gotta get out of this guy's way he is a big money racer.  Couldn't hurt.

You could just use a big Lexus emblem. :D

We're one of the teams with a big rig.  So, I'll chime in and tell you why we are racing in ChampCar.

#1 reason...it is fun!  We had so much fun at the VIR 24 in 2018 that we decided to ditch the sprint racing and come join this fun series.  It is really that simple.  Racing is supposed to be fun and the sprint racing wasn't fun anymore.  This is what amateur racing is supposed to be.  Fun and friendly.

Value:  We spent crazy money to get less track time in a week at Sonoma for the Runoffs than we get in a single stint in ChampCar.

We did consider selling the rig and getting something more practical.  But, to be honest, we like the rig.  It's paid for and it has some nice amenities.  We figured that it would also help sell seats to the guys that we're trying to bring into our program.

Our goal is for every driver that gets in one of our cars to be respectful and humble.  We're the rookies in this series and we're here to learn and race respectfully.  We had a drivers meeting before the race and we talked about respect, patience, and being humble.

Please come stop by and say hi, when you see us this year.  You'll find that we're down to earth guys who are racing ChampCar to have fun.  Yes, we're probably bringing cars that cost more to build and our rig is fancy, but our beer isn't any colder than yours.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

We're one of the teams with a big rig.  So, I'll chime in and tell you why we are racing in ChampCar.

#1 reason...it is fun!  We had so much fun at the VIR 24 in 2018 that we decided to ditch the sprint racing and come join this fun series.  It is really that simple.  Racing is supposed to be fun and the sprint racing wasn't fun anymore.  This is what amateur racing is supposed to be.  Fun and friendly.

Value:  We spent crazy money to get less track time in a week at Sonoma for the Runoffs than we get in a single stint in ChampCar.

We did consider selling the rig and getting something more practical.  But, to be honest, we like the rig.  It's paid for and it has some nice amenities.  We figured that it would also help sell seats to the guys that we're trying to bring into our program.

Our goal is for every driver that gets in one of our cars to be respectful and humble.  We're the rookies in this series and we're here to learn and race respectfully.  We had a drivers meeting before the race and we talked about respect, patience, and being humble.

Please come stop by and say hi, when you see us this year.  You'll find that we're down to earth guys who are racing ChampCar to have fun.  Yes, we're probably bringing cars that cost more to build and our rig is fancy, but our beer isn't any colder than yours.

I wanted to stop over and say Hi at Road Atlanta, but ended up forgetting to make it over. We are one of the few Illinois teams and I wanted to meet you guys. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

@Round3Racing Brad, we haven't met yet, but I look forward to... I've said before that I admired BMR's accomplishments in past pro series.

From everything I've read that you've posted, you guys seem like down to earth, awesome people to be racing with, and your presence brings even more credibility to the series.

Your attitude is refreshing, to see that teams that have experienced racing at higher levels can come here and enjoy themselves, and respect the series, its' rules and your fellow competitors. I wish you guys the best, and hope that your team continues to set an example of sportsmanship and mutual respect that I see being portrayed.

The past few years have been refreshing to see some of my SCCA buddies and guys from the local track that never would have considered running Chu/a/mpcar before, now seeing the merits of this series.

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

...blah blah blah...

That 'blah blah blah' is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time!  Thanks for that; and you might not be able to get rid of me if you're offering free beer!  =D

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

come stop by and say hi

Almost stopped while walking by with my "new" gas tank, perhaps next time.

• Like 1

One other comment, regarding pro racing and why you may be seeing more and more ex-pro or current pro racers in ChampCar...

Pro racing is incredibly stressful.  I think that some of the ex-pro racers or even current pro racers are coming to ChampCar to have fun with little or no stress.  It is a nice change for them.

Even some of the SCCA guys that we have brought over commented about the refreshing lack of stress.  ChampCar has really done something special and more racers are discovering it.  Many racers started at the grassroots level.  Coming back to their roots can be a very enjoyable experience and remind them of when racing was fun.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

One other comment, regarding pro racing and why you may be seeing more and more ex-pro or current pro racers in ChampCar...

Pro racing is incredibly stressful.  I think that some of the ex-pro racers or even current pro racers are coming to ChampCar to have fun with little or no stress.  It is a nice change for them.

Even some of the SCCA guys that we have brought over commented about the refreshing lack of stress.  ChampCar has really done something special and more racers are discovering it.  Many racers started at the grassroots level.  Coming back to their roots can be a very enjoyable experience and remind them of when racing was fun.

On that subject, though, the ability of new folks with zero racing experience and/or racecar building experience to jump into champcar and have a hope in hell of being competitive is low, and it's crazy intimidating to show up to see how an event is run and feel damn poor in your 2015 F150.  First time we went to check out a chumpcar race at Daytona, we almost called it quits right there.  Fortunately, the club is very supportive, but it's a lot harder to get started now than it was when chumpcar first got going.

On the plus side, durability still wins everything.  The trick is being fast and keeping the car from blowing up.  Lots of teams manage one or the other, but the winners manage to do both.

Edited by krispykritter

1 hour ago, Round3Racing said:

Awesome!

I love the bigger teams that come into champcar.  I have learned a lot through their experience.  Every race I attend that sahleens is there, I stop and talk to will.  I always learn something.

My earlier point was not to look down on those teams and teams like your team.  It was merely to point out that small budget teams can and do make the podium without expensively built shop cars.

The more the merrier!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krispykritter said:

On that subject, though, the ability of new folks with zero racing experience and/or racecar building experience to jump into champcar and have a hope in hell of being competitive is low, and it's crazy intimidating to show up to see how an event is run and feel damn poor in your 2015 F150.  First time we went to check out a chumpcar race at Daytona, we almost called it quits right there.  Fortunately, the club is very supportive, but it's a lot harder to get started now than it was when chumpcar first got going.

On the plus side, durability still wins everything.  The trick is being fast and keeping the car from blowing up.  Lots of teams manage one or the other, but the winners manage to do both.

Yeah.  We usually flat tow with a now 10 year old Chevy.  Car typically doubles as storage and toolbox holder while traveling.  We had similar thoughts at Road America when the Acura HPD rig rolled up.   That was before we found out we were 40-some seconds off pace.  (Probably a good thing the motor let go, because one of the fast cars probably would have ended up collecting us)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Round3Racing said:

We are an Iowa team. We’ll try to stop and say hi at Road America.   We will be working that race.   It’s great fun to work a race and it helps fund our entry fees.  

Your attitude is what we we all need more of.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

Yeah.  We usually flat tow with a now 10 year old Chevy.  Car typically doubles as storage and toolbox holder while traveling.  We had similar thoughts at Road America when the Acura HPD rig rolled up.   That was before we found out we were 40-some seconds off pace.  (Probably a good thing the motor let go, because one of the fast cars probably would have ended up collecting us)

Flat tow.  Muahaha.  We look down upon you from the rarefied heights of our open-bed car hauler with a single racecar/toolbox loaded up!

No sticky car elevators here!

Edited by krispykritter
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Round3Racing said:

What a refreshing read after most all of the other posts. Thank You.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

small budget teams can and do make the podium without expensively built shop cars.

Absolutely!  We have a lot to learn from the teams that are consistently finishing at the top.  Our #1 goal is to finish races.  If we have a car that stays on track, we have happy drivers who will want to come back and push for better results.  I don't care the size of a team's budget.  Endurance racing is tough and getting a car to last 10, 14, 24 hours takes a lot more than just money.

And by the way, if I was in a fast low-budget car, I would absolutely give a little "thumbs up" to a high budget car every time I passed him.  "Hey, congrats on still being out here...see you next time I come by."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wink said:

@LuckyKid Does this car have passenger side door bars???

image.thumb.png.cff096c01aceb1be87bed7b3ea8e71e7.png

We have a sill bar and a bar that goes across the door area.  Maybe 2, I don't recall, but there are bars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

We have a sill bar and a bar that goes across the door area.  Maybe 2, I don't recall, but there are bars.

It seems you guys are running the minimum rules cage to save weight. 

I'd hate to get t-boned in that car...

TBH that is the only thing I don't like about the car. The lack of side impact protection is scary to my eyes.

Edited by KoneKillah
Added comment

21 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

if I was in a fast low-budget car, I would absolutely give a little "thumbs up" to a high budget car every time I passed him.  "Hey, congrats on still being out here...see you next time I come by."

Never thought about waving but a warm smile does form inside the helmet while mentally reciting your "Hey, Congrats..."🙂

We can learn from everyone, it is a odd position thinking of you guys as the rookies.

Edited by Team Infiniti

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes, we're probably bringing cars that cost more to build and our rig is fancy, but our beer isn't any colder than yours.

If your rig has a refrigerator and a nice generator I think your beer might be colder, and I'm okay with that.  ;)  

• Haha 2

Actually there are a number of big money teams playing in our series, and to my knowledge only one has brought issues with team.  Tomlinson has always been great, Sahlens too.  Riley, yep.  Stewart Haas was great too.  So welcome, and if I had a big rig I'd use it too!  I'm just happy having a nice Dodge diesel and a 24 foot enclosed trailer.  That open trailer stuff is for the peasants haha (my old teammates still use one so that's for them).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1