Burningham

Road Atlanta - It was a hot one on a cold day

22 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

I didn't pay much attn to the rbank honda since they were on jack stands much of the day but that tiny honda ran a 1:43 which kinda shocked me and made me wonder the same thing y'all are asking about the 4cyl e36. I'm sure they have plenty of points to play with but daaaaaamn

@bendawson3 The performance of the Holy Rollers built Hondas have always been at the top of the pack. Holy Rollers' cars are well known in the North Midwest area as being perennial front runners. Seeing their cars at the top of the FTD list for any race they're entered in is not a surprise. Andrew and his dad, Dave are awesome builders, and a lot of fun to hang out with too.!

edit: The Spartan Racing E36 318 BMW also can be described the same. Both of the cars mentioned are perennial front runners in our area. Both teams have very talented builders and drivers. Contrary to what some folks preach, there IS talent outside of the East-Southeast. ;) LOL

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 3

Just now, mcoppola said:

@bendawson3 The performance of the Holy Rollers built Hondas have always been at the top of the pack. Holy Rollers' cars are well known in the North Midwest area as being perennial front runners. Seeing their cars at the top of the FTD list for any race they're entered in is not a surprise. Andrew and his dad, Dave are awesome builders, and a lot of fun to hang to with too.!

Is that the one that was orange and black before or a different honda? And i certainly am not casting aspersions on anybody's prep or car or insinuating anything about legality. The pace just surprised me for what the car is compared to what the other cars running that pace are.

I've seen an raced against a bunch of the cars they bring but didn't recall that one. I don't know andrew or dave or who @red0 is. 

• Like 1

The pace of the top twenty picked up a good bit from last year it seemed like.  Fast lap times were really fast.  I thought Not banned yet was going to run away with it after cone crushers went out with a fire.  I ran some errands with NBY up 2 laps on everyone only to come back and find Pinkies 3 laps up on everyone.  I was cheering bio on at the end but they just ran out of time to get around the tuttle battering ram.  Looked like a fun race, made me miss the madness.  See you guys in Charlotte! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

Is that the one that was orange and black before or a different honda? And i certainly am not casting aspersions on anybody's prep or car or insinuating anything about legality. The pace just surprised me for what the car is compared to what the other cars running that pace are.

I've seen an raced against a bunch of the cars they bring but didn't recall that one. I don't know andrew or dave or who @red0 is. 

The orange and black one from previous years is the same car as the red and black one now, just chassis swapped after a crash at pittrace. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jab31169 said:

The pace of the top twenty picked up a good bit from last year it seemed like.  Fast lap times were really fast.  I thought Not banned yet was going to run away with it after cone crushers went out with a fire.  I ran some errands with NBY up 2 laps on everyone only to come back and find Pinkies 3 laps up on everyone.  I was cheering bio on at the end but they just ran out of time to get around the tuttle battering ram.  Looked like a fun race, made me miss the madness.  See you guys in Charlotte! 

I was battling Tuttle at the end, but I will say three things about it:

1) We were racing for 4th.  Had it been for the podium or a win, I would have been more aggressive in forcing the issue.

2) Their reputation and prior experience with them stopped me from pushing harder, especially given 1) above.

3) Their driver did a good job of blocking in the right spots and cycling slower traffic between us at the right times.  My hat's off in that regard, I don't feel like he did me dirty and I would have done the same in his shoes.  

Anyway good times, we just dug ourselves too big a hole early and had to stop for fuel 9 times.  That crushed us.  I recommend not taking Bio 1 there ever again.  In fact there's some thought that Bio 1 should be retired.  But the old girl ran the whole race flawlessly if not sketchily through the twisty stuff.  

• Like 8

10 hours ago, bendawson3 said:

I didn't pay much attn to the rbank honda since they were on jack stands much of the day but that tiny honda ran a 1:43 which kinda shocked me and made me wonder the same thing y'all are asking about the 4cyl e36. I'm sure they have plenty of points to play with but daaaaaamn

A Civic hatch with a b20 crv swap with added vtec ran a 1:41 last year...

Edited by Racer7x
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

I hope I didn't sound like I was calling you our for anything Ben - just addressing your comments by providing a little background on those 2 teams and their cars, due to how proud a lot of us are to have them representing our area. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jer said:

1) We were racing for 4th.  Had it been for the podium or a win, I would have been more aggressive in forcing the issue.

2) Their reputation and prior experience with them stopped me from pushing harder, especially given 1) above.

3) Their driver did a good job of blocking in the right spots and cycling slower traffic between us at the right times.  My hat's off in that regard, I don't feel like he did me dirty and I would have done the same in his shoes.  

Anyway good times, we just dug ourselves too big a hole early and had to stop for fuel 9 times.  That crushed us.  I recommend not taking Bio 1 there ever again.  In fact there's some thought that Bio 1 should be retired.  But the old girl ran the whole race flawlessly if not sketchily through the twisty stuff.  

Running Bulls Racing was sitting back in the pits watching that battle to see if it would elevate us from 6th to 5th:-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

44 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

That's the FUN way through there! The 626 had more grip than it could use there and turn 1. It was way too easy 

Yes, you run the 626 flatout from T10 to T1 and it only needs a whiff of brake to run up the hill. I'm sure the car had tons of grip on those RE71R's, lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

I hope I didn't sound like I was calling you our for anything Ben - just addressing your comments by providing a little background on those 2 teams and their cars, due to how proud a lot of us are to have them representing our area. :)

Cool deal. I can appreciate that! 

I also didn't want to sound like I was singling anybody out for extra heat. Just noting a data point that appeared as an outlier to me until I had more data points. I try to walk the earth not being an enormous jerk all the time but it takes some effort. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mbulls@commercemicro.com said:

Running Bulls Racing was sitting back in the pits watching that battle to see if it would elevate us from 6th to 5th:-)

I sure could have used the chrome horn, I mean I was all over him many, many times.  But Troy just built a really sweet splitter and I didn't want to see his WTF face after I destroyed it.  🤣🤣

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

Cool deal. I can appreciate that! 

I also didn't want to sound like I was singling anybody out for extra heat. Just noting a data point that appeared as an outlier to me until I had more data points. I try to walk the earth not being an enormous jerk all the time but it takes some effort. 

I didn't take your comments as being in any way derogatory, suspicious, nor casting stones. I'm confident no harm was meant by either of our posts.

Sometimes written words just don't come out the same as in person, but I understood yours perfectly for their intent.

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jer said:

On the broadcast it was commented that a certain browns themed car had bumped another car multiple times intentionally during the last or second to last stint at night.  

23 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

On the broadcast it was commented that a certain browns themed car had bumped another car multiple times intentionally during the last or second to last stint at night.  

I heard that too but it must have been before I caught them because I did not see that.  If I had seen it, it might have been bad news for the car in question.  Just sayin.  

edit: let me modify this or explain it.  To my knowledge there wasn't any footage of the contact.  If I had seen it and it happened in the way Doc's driver described it, it would have resulted in video footage and I would have gotten word to the officials.  As it was, it turned into a big he said she said after the race.  I'm not saying I would have punted anyone.  I've never intentionally punted another car.  

Edited by Jer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bendawson3 said:

I try to walk the earth not being an enormous jerk all the time but it takes some effort. 

I gave up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Having recently re-relocated back to the scenic, fabulous midwest from the Bay Area for ...reasons... Ben Dawson, my ol' buddy ol' pal, got in my ear about grabbing a seat with him at Road Atlanta. Out West, I raced Lucky Dog and Lemons. My prior Champ experience constitutes one 2x8 VIR North race with the aforementioned Dawson and crew in the Winsome Racing E30.  I jumped at the chance to marvel at Ben’s physique while at the same time having the opportunity to race at Road Atlanta in the dry – unlike my past experiences at the track which both involved soaking rain and zero Dawson.

Upon Ben’s learned recommendation, I opted to join him in piloting the Inactive Motorsports Mazda 626.  Naturally, when one thinks of racing and Mazda, one thinks of the venerable 626 sedan. It's well known that the Mazda factory nomenclature for its sedans directly relates to the output of the vehicle's engine -- and goddamn was I excited to get my mitts on this 600+ HP MONSTER. As they raised the hood for me to gaze upon this perfect mechanical iteration of god's love, a blinding light erupted from the engine bay. It was like that one scene in The Wraith where Ron Howard's brother looks into undead-Sheen's engine bay and it's all like BZZT SZZT with supernatural power.

What’s inside? As the lap times likely portend: two liters of blind rage. To put that into perspective for folks like you and me without slide rules in our pockets: that’s a whole big bottle of Mountain Dew, BUT IN A MACHINE. And you know damn well that it’s replete with the latest in technological innovations and power-adders. Even a dummy like me can see that the intake is on one side of the head and the exhaust is all the way on the other side, something the nerds call a “cross-flow head.” (note: gas flow’s important to an engine, just ask Chappy Colinman, he wrote a book about it for you reader types.) The Mazda maniacs conveniently placed the cams OVER THE HEAD, right where you want ‘em: up top for max pop(tm). And it’s got not one, not two, but four – yes – four cylinders. This thing is strokin’ like Clarence Carter. Let’s talk about fuel delivery, geeks: insofar as this mechanical marvel is concerned, vaporizing fuel by negative pressure drawing it through tiny holes in a bowl is totally passé. Caveman-esque, even. No, friends, this space-age wonder is equipped with electronically-controlled fuel injection they program with, like, a Speak-N-Spell.   And to put the power down, they must’ve defeated Lex Luther and used his kryptonite stores to fabricate the transmission.  This rage pony’s got five forward gears and it uses them ALL if you don’t count fifth and I don’t count fifth anytway ‘cause I’m missin’ a finger on my left hand.

But seriously: great race. The dudes at Inactive Motorsports/Crowd Control Racing prepped the car well and set the standard for organization and implementation. I’ve raced with many different teams in many different series and these folks are, without a doubt, the most effectively organized team I’ve ever dealt with personally or seen in action. The 626 came well prepared, and while it was never going to set a lap record, it didn’t need to. It raged for 14 hours without a single issue, turning laps, staying out of trouble. Sixty entrants had a faster lap than the 626. It still came in first in class by nearly 50 laps and 15th overall.  

The on-track experience was your usual mixed bag of amateur endurance road racing. I’m still stunned at the number of drivers of very fast cars who just CANNOT, under any circumstances, check up and wait for a cleaner opportunity. If you’re going to warp past everyone on the back straight anyway, why put your nose in and force a three or even two-wide through turn seven? My only seriously WTF experience came at the hands of an E30 entering the track from the pits, shooting over the blend like and joining the racing line at T3 instead of staying right.  They’d just talked about NOT doing that at the driver’s meeting like an hour before. Way to go, champ. That move was undoubtedly the difference in the race.

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, EL_MACHO said:

I’m still stunned at the number of drivers of very fast cars who just CANNOT, under any circumstances, check up and wait for a cleaner opportunity. If you’re going to warp past everyone on the back straight anyway, why put your nose in and force a three or even two-wide through turn seven? My only seriously WTF experience came at the hands of an E30 entering the track from the pits, shooting over the blend like and joining the racing line at T3 instead of staying right.  They’d just talked about NOT doing that at the driver’s meeting like an hour before. Way to go, champ. That move was undoubtedly the difference in the race.

Preach on!  What a great first post and welcome!  Did you like the race management and the Champcar experience?

• Like 2

@EL_MACHO...If you talk like you write we MUST have you up to the ChampCar Live broadcast booth at some point. That is some freaking hysterical description of the engine.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

@EL_MACHO...If you talk like you write we MUST have you up to the ChampCar Live broadcast booth at some point. That is some freaking hysterical description of the engine.

Get that seat ready, Hoss, 'cause I sure do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@Doc if you're not already acquainted w/ ole @EL_MACHO, you need to be. Hilarious character and he's even faster than he is funny. Get him in the booth some time. I pointed you out to him saturday nite but you were busy, so I didn't bring him to the champ trailer 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

@Doc if you're not already acquainted w/ ole @EL_MACHO, you need to be. Hilarious character and he's even faster than he is funny. Get him in the booth some time. I pointed you out to him saturday nite but you were busy, so I didn't bring him to the champ trailer 

By Saturday night I am in Zombie mode. It's all I can do to recognize myself.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, red0 said:

They are extremely talented engineers and drivers,  and they are from the north where most of the talent is. :) 

I agree.  It's a light/fast car and it's very well driven.  

3 hours ago, Jer said:

I was watching this at the in-laws.  I ended up commandeering the TV and forcing everyone to watch.  Smart not pushing the issue with Tuttle.  I figured there was about a 75% chance of Running Bulls finishing in 4th, but you kept it clean.

• Like 1