Sign in to follow this  
Seabird

RX7 shocks/dampers, looking for rule guidance

Got my start in racing back in 2011 at a Chump race at Nelson Ledges.  Been around a while with different teams but have yet to build my own car.  Looking to put something together with an ex-scca RX7 FC (s4).  It currently has some old tired koni adjustable dampers.  Looking on the tech sheet, adjustable dampers gets 75 points per corner.  At 4 corners that is pretty hefty.  

I maybe wrong but from my research the FC came from the factory with adjustable dampers.  Does this mean the 75 points rule does not apply to the RX7?  From wiki: Mazda also introduced Auto Adjusting Suspension (AAS) in the 2nd generation RX-7. The system changed damping characteristics according to the road and driving conditions. The system compensated for camber changes and provided anti-dive and anti-squat effects.

I can rebuild this Koni for cheaper than OEM replacements but if it means 300 points I would have to consider the OEM parts...  looking for rule guidance on the rules.

For 2019, adjustable dampers are 25 pts/corner, not 75. 

Make sure you're looking at the 2019 BCCR, there are a few other small changes too. 

Edit: even if the car came with adjustable OEM's it doesn't make the adjustable Koni's exempt from the rule. 

Talk to some of the other RX7 teams like @wvumtnbkr to see what they are running and you can probably find good non adjustable shocks that are point free. 

Edited by mcoppola

Welll....  we are a front running team that is running an s4 rx7 as well.

We run bilsteins.  They are good and aren't too expensive.  You will need some stock struts for the front to gut and put in the bilstein cartridges.

They work awesome.

We are running around a 450# front spring and a 375# rear spring.  Stock swaybars.

The actual oem shocks and struts are NLA.

• Like 1

..We also run an RX7  S4  the front bilstein  struts are from  a  mitsubishi 3000 gt...the rears can be revalved shocks for a 914  or we use their  generic circle track shock..they are valved out of the box for 320 lb springs...we run 400 lb rears....the fronts seem to work well at the out of the box valving ...I don't know what it is ....  but we run 600 lbs in the front    ...look on the RX 7 club forum for  " big ass budget build "  lots of bilstein conversion conversation

• Like 1

nice thank you!  

Rob,

How does the 2x rule work with NLA OEM equipment?

I take it you are referring to the B6 Sport on those Bilsteins?  <800$

T, Miguel

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Good points.

I bought the bilstein shocks that are listed for a 2nd gen rx7.

I hope you have better luck than we did- ordered from TireRack on Dec 10th, rears showed up within a couple days but the fronts have been back ordered w no ETA.  I finally gave up this morning and bought some KYB adjustables- luckily we have the points available

1 hour ago, Seabird said:

nice thank you!  

Rob,

How does the 2x rule work with NLA OEM equipment?

I take it you are referring to the B6 Sport on those Bilsteins?  <800$

T, Miguel

I think Bilsteins are within the 2X rule- they're only $103-$135 on TireRack and Autozone/Advance are selling oem equivalents for $65-$136. Hopefully.  I'd like to run them on all four corners eventually, but we're racing VIR South in three weeks...

We even run second gen RX7 Bilsteins inserts on our Beretta!! Bought them from Summit Racing. If you order from Summit ask them to Drop Ship to you. You will receive them faster.

17 hours ago, 5chumps said:

I hope you have better luck than we did- ordered from TireRack on Dec 10th, rears showed up within a couple days but the fronts have been back ordered w no ETA.  I finally gave up this morning and bought some KYB adjustables- luckily we have the points available

I think Bilsteins are within the 2X rule- they're only $103-$135 on TireRack and Autozone/Advance are selling oem equivalents for $65-$136. Hopefully.  I'd like to run them on all four corners eventually, but we're racing VIR South in three weeks...

If you ask around you may find out that you are not alone, apparently there is a worldwide shortage on some of the Bilstein dampers that we run in the series. Word is that they are refitting a factory in Germany and may be out of production for as long as a year.

1 hour ago, mhr650 said:

If you ask around you may find out that you are not alone, apparently there is a worldwide shortage on some of the Bilstein dampers that we run in the series. Word is that they are refitting a factory in Germany and may be out of production for as long as a year.

I saw my Koni rep. last week. He had a great big grin on his face. Apparently they had very good sales #'s last year.

Is there a catalog page or any other info that lists all the Bilstein cartridge shocks that are available? Asking for a friend.