2019 Sonoma Double 7-hour

Bill Strong

4 minutes ago, Jer said:

Surprised there's no discussion of the penalized 2nd place team.

Saw that on the Facebook but was hoping someone who was involved would chime in. The FB post simply said someone was bumped from 2nd to 6th? for an unclaimed cam and more info to follow.  Then there was lots of banter about another that had been DQ'd over a swaybar and I tuned out.....

Also hoping to hear more about the safety truck incident? If it's anything like the one posted by @Wink in the other Sonoma thread, then I'm hoping for some discussion about how to improve that situation in the future. The spec Miata one I'd have a real hard time pinning that on the car driver, looks like the safety truck accelerated into him from that angle....

Was a fun one to watch with good coverage from the Champcar Live team, well done guys and congrats to all the teams!

I think Wilwood was mentioned too?

I'll be interested to see Autospec makes a change. They usually have 3 or 4 cars at Harris Hill, we'll be watching.

Really the only thing that decision impacts is the national championship points. They're out of the money, so I think it's fair.

Edited by Wink

What a crazy weekend. On Friday practice we went through a cycle that changed every 30 minutes.  Rain, sunshine, hail, rainbow, ....repeat. 

Saturday's race was awesome albeit we missed dropping off our egg timer at pit out and had to come back in to get our knuckles whacked with a ruler.  Door Slammer's awesome Miata lost fifth gear while leading and we closed the gap a little, but some days they are just too tough to beat!  Sunday they ran out of fuel early, then we did too!! 

The cars from Mr Angry Mazda, Nine Four Motorsports cars, Arsenic Racing, Autospec, Bandits, Marvin the Martian--and all the cars throughout the entire field---are top notch entries and a pleasure to race against.  We need to get the word out to all the west coast teams how awesome a facility Sonoma is in order to increase the number of cars next year (and at our other upcoming events).

As noted, we tried hard to catch Door Slammers in the closing stages of Saturdays race. If you want to see how hard Troy was trying, the following video shows what happens when you get the first turn of the esses a bit wrong, and it catches up to you in Turn 10.  Well worth a fist pump (and new pair of shorts).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYVpUEfkwzo&t=12s

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

I'm envious of you guys out west that get to run that rack - now even more after seeing this clip.

What a save! The euphoric fist pump is well understood and deserved!

14 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

I'm envious of you guys out west that get to run that rack - now even more after seeing this clip.

What a save! The euphoric fist pump is well understood and deserved!

The track is worth the haul! Just be careful about being on the brakes after the crest into the carousel (turn 6 I think?) in an FWD. Makes for a good picture though!22792545_1441835302531044_5080100645583923833_o.thumb.jpg.f0ec9b93ac49be58d94def1d12ee7c52.jpg

4 hours ago, Jer said:

Someone was called out on the broadcast, maybe I got the team wrong.  There was a funnel on a refueling for someone. Sorry.

As mentioned, the team was Wilwood and Arsenic Racing loaned them their fuel jugs after their engine blew on Saturday. Pretty sure they will be in compliance next race. 

Edited by FlorahDorah

I was supposed to figure out how to extract my youtube live video for @Bandit 82 so he could combine the different views from Kevin's crash but i was unable to figure it out in the 5 minutes that i allotted for it. So here it is:

The TLLTD calculations said the car would understeer and it was right...

1 hour ago, Ian Moone said:

Just a little more room and it looks like it could have been a save. It arrears to be coming back to the left when it gets hooked into the tire barrier.

Yeah he almost had it

What a crazy race weekend we had at Sonoma.  It started out pretty good.  Got to the track Thursday night and it was raining hard off and on.  Bruce Mills and Steve Nichols stopped by and we had a good time bullshitting with them for awhile. Friday morning we went through tech and Jay loved the car; all is good.  It was raining off and on for all of the practice time and we ended up getting a great rain set up which paid off Saturday morning.  The car was hooked up in the wet conditions and stayed in the top three till the lunch break.  After the lunch break is when things started to go to hell.  I got in the car for my stint and it wouldn't start so we push started it. Things seemed good.  Soon as I leave pit road on the first turn, the oil pressure goes to zero then to ten.  This is not good.  We're in first place and I have the whole field behind me trying to get by me as I limp around to the pits.  Opened the hood and found that the harmonic balancer had come apart putting a hole in the timing cover which let all the oil leak out.  Decided to put our back-up motor in which had been in the trailer for the last six years.  Got the motor in and running that night ready for the next day's race.  About an hour into Sunday's race the driver dropped a wheel at turn 10, there was no saving it, hit the wall pretty hard but driver was ok.  There was some pretty severe frame damage so we were done and decided to go home.  Going home we got stuck on the Grapevine because of the snow for six and half hours until they got us turned around.  Spent the night in the Hungry Bear parking lot.  Had a nice breakfast in the morning and went home.  While sitting in the snow on the pass trying to decide what to do with our race car, try to repair it or build a new one, I get a text from Bruce Mills with Uncommon Friends Racing.  It said if I wanted his old race car chassis I could have it.  I wrote him back and asked if he was serious; he said he was.  The next weekend we went and picked it up and what I got from him was incredible.  I can build one badass race car out of this.  Hope he doesn't mind me passing him in his old car!  THANK YOU BRUCE AND UNCOMMON FRIENDS RACING TEAM!!!!!

• Like 11

On 2/25/2019 at 8:35 PM, Bandit 82 said:

What a crazy race weekend we had at Sonoma.  It started out pretty good.  Got to the track Thursday night and it was raining hard off and on.  Bruce Mills and Steve Nichols stopped by and we had a good time bullshitting with them for awhile. Friday morning we went through tech and Jay loved the car; all is good.  It was raining off and on for all of the practice time and we ended up getting a great rain set up which paid off Saturday morning.  The car was hooked up in the wet conditions and stayed in the top three till the lunch break.  After the lunch break is when things started to go to hell.  I got in the car for my stint and it wouldn't start so we push started it. Things seemed good.  Soon as I leave pit road on the first turn, the oil pressure goes to zero then to ten.  This is not good.  We're in first place and I have the whole field behind me trying to get by me as I limp around to the pits.  Opened the hood and found that the harmonic balancer had come apart putting a hole in the timing cover which let all the oil leak out.  Decided to put our back-up motor in which had been in the trailer for the last six years.  Got the motor in and running that night ready for the next day's race.  About an hour into Sunday's race the driver dropped a wheel at turn 10, there was no saving it, hit the wall pretty hard but driver was ok.  There was some pretty severe frame damage so we were done and decided to go home.  Going home we got stuck on the Grapevine because of the snow for six and half hours until they got us turned around.  Spent the night in the Hungry Bear parking lot.  Had a nice breakfast in the morning and went home.  While sitting in the snow on the pass trying to decide what to do with our race car, try to repair it or build a new one, I get a text from Bruce Mills with Uncommon Friends Racing.  It said if I wanted his old race car chassis I could have it.  I wrote him back and asked if he was serious; he said he was.  The next weekend we went and picked it up and what I got from him was incredible.  I can build one badass race car out of this.  Hope he doesn't mind me passing him in his old car!  THANK YOU BRUCE AND UNCOMMON FRIENDS RACING TEAM!!!!!

For those of you who have never met Bruce Mills, who is a board member, he is an absolutely awesome human and a pleasure to chat with.  Couldnt be happier that we get to race out West together!!  Such an awesome thing to do for another racer!!!!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hmmm.

Just to close out the thread.....it's clear you can fool some of the people some of the time (thanks for the kind words Rod and Ben!). 

I had planned on bolting our first Z car up high on the wall of my shop. Sort of like I did with some of my other toys in my office

IMG_2193.jpg.31924c2a8d4df4301b64573000653171.jpg

Then the Flyin Hawaiians (who beat us with this car, using MY home made wing, more times than I want to mention) broke the Time Bandit. Here is how it looked before finishing second at Laguna in December.

IMG_7144-2.thumb.jpg.1462c68aed8ea72cff0fccd7da08cc64.jpg

So we asked whether our car would be of better use as a wall hanging (it had run 2:00 flat at Auto Club with "spare" everything in November-which isn't too shabby) or did it deserve to be put back together by a 30-year expert Nissan mechanic and be part of the second most awesome Z car team on the west coast?   It just about jumped on the trailer by itself!!

IMG_2058.jpg.d096b6ccf37aacd639871010a3be70c4.jpg

Rod and his crew have already started work and we hope to see them at Willow Springs or Utah Motorsport Park.  We'll be there and truly expect an epic battle with them, Team Alchemy, Door Slammers, Arsenic, Wilwood and the many other quality west coast teams-and hopefully some northwest and midwest teams who want to journey "out west" for some great racing.  

The book never closes, there is always a new chapter to write. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just for a chuckle.....

When I was at NCM in Bowling Green, I took a side trip up to the Louisville Slugger Bat Factory and had a custom bat made.  In case you were wondering why the bat is next to the picture of our race car, the bat is enscribed.....

"DRIVER EDUCATION TOOL, Roger Penske Model, Uncommon Friends Racing". 

This has reduced body repair bills by 50%.  I highly recommend one for every team owner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2019 at 3:02 PM, Voodoo Child said:

Hmmm.

Just to close out the thread.....it's clear you can fool some of the people some of the time (thanks for the kind words Rod and Ben!). 

I had planned on bolting our first Z car up high on the wall of my shop. Sort of like I did with some of my other toys in my office

IMG_2193.jpg.31924c2a8d4df4301b64573000653171.jpg

Then the Flyin Hawaiians (who beat us with this car, using MY home made wing, more times than I want to mention) broke the Time Bandit. Here is how it looked before finishing second at Laguna in December.

IMG_7144-2.thumb.jpg.1462c68aed8ea72cff0fccd7da08cc64.jpg

So we asked whether our car would be of better use as a wall hanging (it had run 2:00 flat at Auto Club with "spare" everything in November-which isn't too shabby) or did it deserve to be put back together by a 30-year expert Nissan mechanic and be part of the second most awesome Z car team on the west coast?   It just about jumped on the trailer by itself!!

IMG_2058.jpg.d096b6ccf37aacd639871010a3be70c4.jpg

Rod and his crew have already started work and we hope to see them at Willow Springs or Utah Motorsport Park.  We'll be there and truly expect an epic battle with them, Team Alchemy, Door Slammers, Arsenic, Wilwood and the many other quality west coast teams-and hopefully some northwest and midwest teams who want to journey "out west" for some great racing.  

The book never closes, there is always a new chapter to write. 

If the Z was on that wall there would be two things that Nichols has crashed. Unless you let him fly the glider for three.😀

Is the glider a "Gentle Lady"?