Jump to content

Anyone have Aero questions?


Recommended Posts

How beneficial would it be to attempt to create air diverters at the leading edge of the side windows to limit air entering the cabin?  Or would it just end up causing more turbulence/drag?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disclaimer: I have no formal aerodynamics training and most of this info I am going to share I have just picked up on the side for fun. Feel free to critique anything I am about to say.   I

one more before i hit the road.  not quite.  The air being directed over the top of the car does add downforce. It's not the temp to blame, it's the speed. So to make downforce, the general

Put a hole in the top of the fender above your control arm/spindle/whatever. Attach a rod to the top of your control arm that is long enough to protrude above the fender at full droop. Mark the rod at

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Do you need a flat tray behind an airdam to have it be effective?

 

 

you'll need something to support it, but it will work without a belly pan. 
From our tests we increased downforce

-100% with a air dam and wing.

- 300% with a splitter and the same  air dam + wing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

How beneficial would it be to attempt to create air diverters at the leading edge of the side windows to limit air entering the cabin?  Or would it just end up causing more turbulence/drag?

Depends on how the air flows around the rear of the green house. Generally speaking it's best to leave the 1/4" windows. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

you'll need something to support it, but it will work without a belly pan. 
From our tests we increased downforce

-100% with a air dam and wing.

- 300% with a splitter and the same  air dam + wing. 

Is the splitter being cited here considered to be just the portion ahead of the air dam or does it include an undertray at the front? If so, how much area or to what point on the chassis should one build to get that level of downforce?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mender said:

Is the splitter being cited here considered to be just the portion ahead of the air dam or does it include an undertray at the front? If so, how much area or to what point on the chassis should one build to get that level of downforce?


Splitter being quoted is our splitter  seen here. 
Image may contain: car

air dam only*  run in question did have a belly pan.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

Splitter being quoted is our splitter  seen here. 

Is the extension of the splitter proportional to the amount of downforce expected? 4" splitter = 2X the downforce of a 2" splitter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mender said:

Is the extension of the splitter proportional to the amount of downforce expected? 4" splitter = 2X the downforce of a 2" splitter?

math isn't that simple. more of a quadratic forma. df=L^2  more than df=(L*2x)  there is a real point of diminishing returns. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

Depends on how the air flows around the rear of the green house. Generally speaking it's best to leave the 1/4" windows. 

 

We're keeping the quarter windows.  I mean the front side windows.  Like a deflector near the side mirrors.

 

How much improvement does shrinking the window opening give you.  Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

it really depends on the car. I've seen some cars like a miata that the window blows the air way off the car and iv'e see cars like a stock car that has little to no effect. 

i can tell you this. a VERY VERY tightly pulled window net can cat very similar  to a closed window. I encourage my club racers to add a window net, pulled as tight as they can to the passenger window to help smooth the airflow out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CBraden said:

After a wing, air dam and splitter, (and shrouding the front wheels from air)what is the next biggest improvement to be had aero-wise?

My guess is flat floor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

My guess is flat floor.

 

If someone had not so smartly built a car that was so constrained on cooling capacity that a flat floor was not feasible, what would be the next thing after Wing, Splitter, Air Dam?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CBraden said:

 

If someone had not so smartly built a car that was so constrained on cooling capacity that a flat floor was not feasible, what would be the next thing after Wing, Splitter, Air Dam?

 

 

 Splitter ramps would be the next ig jump, same with a dual element


https://9livesracing.com/collections/all/products/the-deuce-double-element-kit

https://9livesracing.com/products/nine-lines-carbon-splitter-ramps-by-morland-engineering?_pos=1&_sid=360476f46&_ss=r

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

 

I actually just built some DIY with a hammer and ignorance.  The only place I could fit them was ducting almost straight at the tire.  I was hoping to have them vent inboard of the tire to get airflow to the CV/brake etc but about half is hitting the tire.  Do you think I will still see a benifit?

 

 

IMG-3050.jpg

IMG-2930.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

that should work. FYI going bigger doesn't= more better 

How so?  so long as exit pressure allows for flow through the throat, then more area should equal lower pressure over a larger area. I would be curious to hear why that thought process might be wrong.

I am still waiting on a ruling from tech regarding how many added points splitter diffusers are. (Its not free)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:


I am still waiting on a ruling from tech regarding how many added points splitter diffusers are. (Its not free)

 

Even if you're repurposing material?

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

How so?  so long as exit pressure allows for flow through the throat, then more area should equal lower pressure over a larger area. I would be curious to hear why that thought process might be wrong.

I am still waiting on a ruling from tech regarding how many added points splitter diffusers are. (Its not free)

I don't see why not.  There are no rules about what you build your splitter with or what shape it is.

 

As to the size.  They look bigger than they are.  They are 2.5" deep, 6" wide.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LuckyKid said:

I'm not sure.  Waiting on the ruling. 

 

If air dams made from repurposed material are free (this has been confirmed multiple times including on my own car) I see no reason why splitter diffusers from repurposed material would not also be free.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gavro said:

 

If air dams made from repurposed material are free (this has been confirmed multiple times including on my own car) I see no reason why splitter diffusers from repurposed material would not also be free.

 

AFAIK that is the ruling. We have a question on the splitter diffuser material and the preliminary (not officially on the KB yet) ruling is that they are matl points if not repurposed.

 

 

@@NineLivesJohnny

 

Any data on the window nets?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

How so?  so long as exit pressure allows for flow through the throat, then more area should equal lower pressure over a larger area. I would be curious to hear why that thought process might be wrong.

I am still waiting on a ruling from tech regarding how many added points splitter diffusers are. (Its not free)

Wings and Diffusors don't operate in the same way. a wing is a wing  as the performance is = to the shape and the chord
Diffusors/ramps work by making the areas around the diffusor/ramp work better. Especially on splitter ramps we look for them to create a vortex that speeds the air up entering the ramp. then we see the area around the ramps will make more downforce than the ramps themselves.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

like all things it depends. if you have a diffusor a side skirt might  disturb flow to it. flow 

we have a splitter and the chassis guy wants a diffuser.  I think we might try a wing instead of spoiler too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...