Anyone have Aero questions?

On 1/15/2020 at 10:33 AM, mender said:

porsche919evo.thumb.jpg.24b4784ffa82cb6768254076ff59f560.jpg

Interesting that they use the end plates for mounting but also have a shark fin in the middle to support the wing.

How much deflection would be acceptable if only using end plates to mount a wing? As long as the AoA doesn't change, would there be adverse effects?

I'm not sure those end plates actually touch the fenders.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disclaimer: I have no formal aerodynamics training and most of this info I am going to share I have just picked up on the side for fun. Feel free to critique anything I am about to say.   I

one more before i hit the road.  not quite.  The air being directed over the top of the car does add downforce. It's not the temp to blame, it's the speed. So to make downforce, the general

Put a hole in the top of the fender above your control arm/spindle/whatever. Attach a rod to the top of your control arm that is long enough to protrude above the fender at full droop. Mark the rod at

Posted Images

13 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

we have a splitter and the chassis guy wants a diffuser.  I think we might try a wing instead of spoiler too. 

in our field wins are made by having the best Lift to Drag ratio.
Gt cars on average might be a 1:2-1:3 Lift to drag ratio.
Prototypes will be in the 1:4 Lift to drag a

and top level cars like the multimatic  (Mazda team Joest) will be in the 1:5 L/d area. 

the car will naturally make drag and seeing the result from spoilers the spoiler itself can be around 1:2 Lift to drag. 

Our wing at 0aoa = 15:1 lift to drag. 

if you want to increase your L:D number, a wing would help over a spoiler. 

1 hour ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

and top level cars like the multimatic  (Mazda team Joest) will be in the 1:5 L/d area. 

the car will naturally make drag and seeing the result from spoilers the spoiler itself can be around 1:2 Lift to drag. 

I have no idea what you just said....lol I will pass it on to the team mate that will. We are also running a lexan rear window on the new build. Here's the old car (RIP) as you can see we were running a very tall rear spoiler. I made a new one that is about 5.5". I think that one is 9" at the peak. 

59847bb9b47a1_2017-05-150518TransAminDriveway.thumb.JPG.2bcd352c2feea3f5b3a30be94f0707f4.JPG

A spoiler has a lot of drag for the downforce it makes. A wing has low drag for the amount of downforce it makes. 

A wing will decrease the total drag that a car generates for the downforce it generates as compared to a spoiler, all else being equal.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mender said:

A spoiler has a lot of drag for the downforce it makes. A wing has low drag for the amount of downforce it makes. 

A wing will decrease the total drag that a car generates for the downforce it generates as compared to a spoiler, all else being equal.

^this. 

5 hours ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

A prototype car will produce over 2000 lbs of downforce.... are you saying that at this speed it carries over 8000 lbs of drag?

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

1:5
5lbs of downforce to 1 lbs of drag 

Ok, you should edit your post above because your lift:drag numbers are sometimes drag:lift numbers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

morning guys ready when you are. 

Forgive me if this advice has already been given in the previous 10 pages. 

What aero advice (if any) would you give to a brand new team if they wanted to pick off some of the "low hanging fruit" of aero improvements? Basically, what's the first thing or things you would recommend with this car?

Do the factory aero parts (front lip, sideskirts, spoiler) actually do anything?

200sx front.PNG

200sx Back.PNG

1 hour ago, TiredBirds said:

Clean car, we have a Gen III. Our deck lid is just the skin, we'll have to go into the 1/4's  

You can add some support under the decklid so that when it is closed, it supports the load of the wing.

I know of at least 1 e36 that is setup like that.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Max said:

Forgive me if this advice has already been given in the previous 10 pages. 

What aero advice (if any) would you give to a brand new team if they wanted to pick off some of the "low hanging fruit" of aero improvements? Basically, what's the first thing or things you would recommend with this car?

Do the factory aero parts (front lip, sideskirts, spoiler) actually do anything?

200sx front.PNG

200sx Back.PNG

Get rid of mirrors.  Cover those front tires if they aren't already (tough to see from pics). Get rid of hood scoop thingy.  Remove front plate.

More airdam.  

Get a wing.

Those are my thoughts.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

You can add some support under the decklid so that when it is closed, it supports the load of the wing.

I know of at least 1 e36 that is setup like that.

do you have an idea what the wing shaped should be? Is there a preferred design? 

6 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

and BUTT EXPENSIVE

Have you priced other wings? Nine Lives Wings are BY FAR the most cost effective option out there with proven results. When coupled with a homemade splitter that cost me less than $100 to build it absolutely transformed our car. Worth every penny IMO.

But if you insist on building your own, I would google around a bit to see what Eyesore Racing (a Lemons team) did for the wing on their Miata. If memory serves they posted a fairly detailed build thread that includes what airfoil profile they used.

18 minutes ago, gavro said:

Have you priced other wings? Nine Lives Wings are BY FAR the most cost effective option out there with proven results. When coupled with a homemade splitter that cost me less than $100 to build it absolutely transformed our car. Worth every penny IMO.

But if you insist on building your own, I would google around a bit to see what Eyesore Racing (a Lemons team) did for the wing on their Miata. If memory serves they posted a fairly detailed build thread that includes what airfoil profile they used.

the link above quoted $350 just for the supports the wing was $275 we don't have that in our engine. 

Edited by TiredBirds