Anyone have Aero questions?

3 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

with aluminum heads and intake it won't weigh much more. 240z 150 points. lots of room to work with there....LOTS    But i like doing things the hard way if this car gets balled up...I'm going with a 71-74 B-body Mopar. again 150 points.... 

Sorry, guess I shoulda green fonted that.  Hence the winking face.

A 170 hp V8 is a boat anchor though.  Seriously how did they manage to get so few hp from so many cubes.

• Like 1
  • Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disclaimer: I have no formal aerodynamics training and most of this info I am going to share I have just picked up on the side for fun. Feel free to critique anything I am about to say.   I

one more before i hit the road.  not quite.  The air being directed over the top of the car does add downforce. It's not the temp to blame, it's the speed. So to make downforce, the general

Put a hole in the top of the fender above your control arm/spindle/whatever. Attach a rod to the top of your control arm that is long enough to protrude above the fender at full droop. Mark the rod at

Posted Images

I remember the bragging that "The Boss is Back"; 157 hp 5.0 Mustang GT. :rolleyes:

And let's not forget that the Thunderbird that had the competition quaking in their boots and the BoD tacking on an extra 50 points in response came with all of 150 hp.

Edited by mender
19 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Sorry, guess I shoulda green fonted that.  Hence the winking face.

A 170 hp V8 is a boat anchor though.  Seriously how did they manage to get so few hp from so many cubes.

EPA standards, and the insurance industry. I also think in 1972??? manufacturers changed the rating from back of the block to rear wheel... So the 170 would have been at the ground. 

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

EPA standards, and the insurance industry. I also think in 1972??? manufacturers changed the rating from back of the block to rear wheel... So the 170 would have been at the ground. 

Not RWHP, but testing the engine as it would be mounted in the car.  Emissions controls in place, water, AC, PS pumps, air cleaners and snorkels, full exhaust, etc.  I think Cadillac in 72 or 73 advertised both gross and net hp so people could get used to the rating difference.  One of the hot rod mags strapped one of the super-low-hp Corvette 350s to an engine dyno and bone stock (but minus all the accessories, emissions, ets) with a set of headers made 300 at the crank.

Edited by karman1970
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, karman1970 said:

Not RWHP, but testing the engine as it would be mounted in the car.  Emissions controls in place, water, AC, PS pumps, air cleaners and snorkels, full exhaust, etc.  I think Cadillac in 72 or 73 advertised both gross and net hp so people could get used to the rating difference.  One of the hot rod mags strapped one of the super-low-hp Corvette 350s to an engine dyno and bone stock (but minus all the accessories, emissions, ets) with a set of headers made 300 at the crank.

My buddy had a nice 70 Caddy convert w/ a 472, he went thru a lot of right rear tires

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

My buddy had a nice 70 Caddy convert w/ a 472, he went thru a lot of right rear tires

I had a '73 Buick LeSabre with a 455 that had the same problem.

Sold it to my mom who drove it daily; my dad who usually drove a '68 Fury III with a 318 2 bbl auto with 2.76 gears had to retrain his right foot when driving it.

• Like 1

Discuss:

Venting/louvering a hood without ducting between the radiator exit and said hole in the hood.

- "Race Louvers" seem to show data that this ducting isn't necessary to see an improvement in cooling and lift reduction.

- Without tilting the radiator forward, any ducting would have abrupt direction changes

- Implications of tilting radiator forward? Do you need a remote coolant overflow tank and/or cap now?

3 hours ago, collinskl1 said:

Discuss:

Venting/louvering a hood without ducting between the radiator exit and said hole in the hood.

- "Race Louvers" seem to show data that this ducting isn't necessary to see an improvement in cooling and lift reduction.

- Without tilting the radiator forward, any ducting would have abrupt direction changes

- Implications of tilting radiator forward? Do you need a remote coolant overflow tank and/or cap now?

Same questions!

14 hours ago, mender said:

Any tips on the lawn edging to bridge the gap between the splitter and the front bumper cover? Looking at 5" as the ideal height for my application.

I have a bunch of leftover I was thinking about running down each side of the car... from wheel lip to wheel lip. worth it?

On 4/14/2020 at 5:56 PM, mender said:

Any tips on the lawn edging to bridge the gap between the splitter and the front bumper cover? Looking at 5" as the ideal height for my application.

Use the thick hd black plastic rolls (2ft x10ft ) sold from Speedway $19.  Strong, semi rigid but pliable and lightweight.

Screenshot_20200416-232831_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
On 4/14/2020 at 6:56 PM, mender said:

we used rolled sheet metal. 59c8f8bb7589a_2017-05-150509TransAminDriveway.thumb.JPG.899c4dadb01656390d2d7fc018f526cf.JPG

• Like 1

Considering the current state of mind everyone has on what should be free vs points. Where would this front end fit in?

1981_mustang_cobra.jpg

Edited by gundy
picturt inserted in middle of text
1 hour ago, gundy said:

Considering the current state of mind everyone has on what should be free vs points. Where would this front end fit in?

1981_mustang_cobra.jpg

Is it stock? What am I even looking at? What parts aren’t stock?

23 hours ago, gundy said:

1981_mustang_cobra.jpg

150 according to the VPI. My bro had a 79 Black 5.0 4 speed with red int. That car was fun. He sold it a few years ago..ran but it had rust in the front frame rails, the paint was still good and the body was straight. Of course the red door panels were chalk by then. 

On 4/17/2020 at 12:29 AM, Shane G. said:

Use the thick hd black plastic rolls (2ft x10ft ) sold from Speedway $19.  Strong, semi rigid but pliable and lightweight.

Screenshot_20200416-232831_Chrome.jpg

+1 on the speedway motors plastic rolls

A quick tip: The plastic does hold it's 'roll' and it will want to curl up, making it frustrating to deal with.  Heat it thoroughly with a heat gun or space heater and roll it the opposite direction it curls.  A little tedious but it will save you a lot of swearing in the garage.

19 hours ago, Alex3000 said:

+1 on the speedway motors plastic rolls

A quick tip: The plastic does hold it's 'roll' and it will want to curl up, making it frustrating to deal with.  Heat it thoroughly with a heat gun or space heater and roll it the opposite direction it curls.  A little tedious but it will save you a lot of swearing in the garage.

I found the same problem with my garden edging. I had to roll it out on the driveway with rocks every few feet and let it sit for 30-45 minutes 

On 4/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, jakks said:

We use 1/8” ABS plastic and heat it up to bend how we need it. We bought a 4’x8’ sheet of it for like $60. 

is the ABS the same as listed above? if not where did you get it?