Anyone have Aero questions?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disclaimer: I have no formal aerodynamics training and most of this info I am going to share I have just picked up on the side for fun. Feel free to critique anything I am about to say.   I

one more before i hit the road.  not quite.  The air being directed over the top of the car does add downforce. It's not the temp to blame, it's the speed. So to make downforce, the general

Put a hole in the top of the fender above your control arm/spindle/whatever. Attach a rod to the top of your control arm that is long enough to protrude above the fender at full droop. Mark the rod at

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, XelderX said:

This is way more interesting than anything going on in Champcar right now.

ok join the challenge. rules are you have to use the standard pinewood derby kit to start, wheels block. Estes A8 motor, that's it. anything else is open

3 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

Technically, that would be considered a motor swap.  What did you use as the starting weight and HP in the calculator?

a8-5 engines thrust curve

you tell me the car weighs 5oz

1 minute ago, TiredBirds said:

ok join the challenge. rules are you have to use the standard pinewood derby kit to start, wheels block. Estes A8 motor, that's it. anything else is open

What's the competition format? I have a little bit of brain capacity left from all the other projects going on. 

9 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

Length of race? Surface? Surface prep / VHT? How wide are the lanes? Guardrails?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, XelderX said:

What's the competition format? I have a little bit of brain capacity left from all the other projects going on. 

we are trying to find the smoothest surface available. Most likely a parking lot.  You take a pinewood derby kit. You have to use the standard block and wheels. The engine is an A8-3 Estes. all else is fair game. Longest run wins. NO wire guides all Free rocket over ground. 

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

Length of race? Surface? Surface prep / VHT? How wide are the lanes? Guardrails?

no guardrails and no wire guides. You can use VHT but that would hurt the cause. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 5:47 PM, TiredBirds said:

we are trying to find the smoothest surface available. Most likely a parking lot.  You take a pinewood derby kit. You have to use the standard block and wheels. The engine is an A8-3 Estes. all else is fair game. Longest run wins. NO wire guides all Free rocket over ground. 

I think you are gonna be firing rockets around a parking lot.

I seriously doubt any of them are gonna go any kind of straight if my days of racing co2 cars and doing rocketry are any indication.

10 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I think you are gonna be firing rockets around a parking lot.

I seriously doubt any of them are gonna go any kind of straight if my days of racing co2 cars and doing rocketry are any indication.

we shall see. round 2 coming up. I have a new design and it looks fast just sitting on the table. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, @NineLivesJohnny said:

A sister company we are starting is for people to upload their soap box cars into CFD and get the actual performance numbers. 

I'll send you some video when we run them....  I'm sure this would not be derby legal.....lol

• Like 1