RVA Graphics and Wraps 12-Hours at VIR South

dogtired

Race Results
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/5244097

Mazda Contingency Verification - Chose VIR South and Overall.
https://champcar.org/register/mazdaresults.php

ChampCar.Live replay
https://youtu.be/upv9JljH7wg

combined threads... Bill Strong

Sounds like my high school transcripts...... 

Waiting patiently for a race recap, I'm curious what happened to the early front runners... penalized, crashed, broken?

6 minutes ago, dogtired said:

That would have been my guess, sorry to hear that Chip.

I was in the Not Banned Yet car for the first two hours. About 45 minutes after I got out the car lost oil pressure. 

I was supposed to drive for Huggy too. A sad tail of fates all around.

• Like 1

This was Team Baby Shark's first race back with a new drivetrain after 4 years away. We were excited, but knew we would run into some issues. We were running this race basically as a test and tune since we had so many unknowns going in. 

We had to make a brief stop several laps into the race for smoke and weird smells reported from the driver. That turned out to be our rubber exhaust hangers melting off the car. That was a quick fix since the exhaust is easily serviced under the rear decklid...which we decided to leave off to help with air flow in that area. 

Car back out and looking good....biefly. Another report that the car was intermittently hesitating...then wouldn't rev past 5k. Driver said it was driveable and wasn't really any slower than most of the traffic around so we left him out hoping to resolve it in a scheduled pitstop. That lasted another few laps before the car started having issues at 2500 rpm and we decided to head to paddock and look everything over. We found several wiring issues that could have caused our problem, but fixing them didn't help. After about an hour and a half, lots of confused staring and two multimeters we found a loose sensor ground on the engine. Sometimes it's the simple things....

I get in the car and we are back on track. The car runs fantastic for almost an hour and half. I was struggling in the car with cramping not long after getting in. I had forgotten to drink water while we were working on the car and it bit me quickly. I struggled through it and turned enough laps to move us up in class a little. I really didn't want to pit because we were trying to figure out how long the car would run on a tank of fuel. After driving hard for 80 minutes I started struggling with the clutch a little. I couldn't tell if it was me or the car since my left calf was pretty good and cramped up by then. A lap or two latter I pulled the car out of 3rd and it wouldn't go into 4th....or any other gear. After coasting to the bottom of the hill at T5 I managed to get it into 4th and cruised around to the pits. We took it behind the wall and diagnosed a messed up clutch slave....which is captive on the input shaft and a bitch to change. We debated pulling the drivetrain and replacing it, but decided to call it a day. 

Overall I was pretty impressed with the driving improvement in Champcar since we last raced. We had a good time, learned some stuff about our little Fiero, and hopefully we'll see you guys at Charlotte. 

• Like 1

With Schumachers Taxi  my second stint out started at 5:05 and we were in first place.  We inspected the brakes before I went out and they looked good. I went out and was taking it pretty easy  although I knew I could not do it for long as we only had a one lap lead on Where's John.   Right when I felt I better start to pick up the pace the pedal went to the floor going into Oak tree. I went one more time around and came in.  The right front piston had exited the caliper and on further inspection it was two cracks in the rotor that caused that pad to wear down much faster then the rest.  This ended our chance at a first place finish.  Ironically this is how last years 12hrs of VIR ended, with me in the car and the pedal going to the floor in Oak Tree...LOL..Still had lost of fun as always and my teammates John and Kevin did a great job getting the new rotor and caliper on the car and back out racing.  We ended up in 14th at the finish. My silver lining was I had my fastest lap time on this course of 1:22

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee

Race was going well, until the mustang Pitt-Maneuvered himself into the camaro, which Pitt-Maneuvered us.

Bent the LR trailing arm and destroyed the LR wheel.  Toe out was pretty bad and the car was un-driveable in that condition.

Took us a few hours to replace the trailing arm, and at that point it was just a test day so we turned so laps and then went home.  

Thanks to Bliss racing for coming up and apologizing for an incident that wasn't even their fault.  

• Sad 6

45 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Race was going well, until the mustang Pitt-Maneuvered himself into the camaro, which Pitt-Maneuvered us.

Bent the LR trailing arm and destroyed the LR wheel.  Toe out was pretty bad and the car was un-driveable in that condition.

Took us a few hours to replace the trailing arm, and at that point it was just a test day so we turned so laps and then went home.  

Thanks to Bliss racing for coming up and apologizing for an incident that wasn't even their fault.  

I was behind that car for a few laps. Some of the driving lines were interesting.

4 minutes ago, dogtired said:

Why didn't he just stay left?  The Supra have any responsibility here?

He didn't stay left because he would have been stuck behind the camaro.The whole move made no sense.  And no the Supra has no responsibility here, the Mustang was the over taking car. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dogtired said:

Did the Supra hold his line?

Well I played it back at 1/4 speed 10 times and I would say yes he did. @:14 seconds it looks like he moves to his left but it's deceiving because Pinkies Out is moving right at the same time. But at the point the Mustang was not even at the door of the Supra yet. 

So the mustang was in P2 just having passed me for position about a lap earlier. He tried to move right to pass the camaro and hit the supra, spun himself out and gathered up the camaro. Just bad luck for us, but we’ll be back.  Fun race up until that point.