Clueless Racing

Stilo integrated speakers vs ear buds

Has anyone used one of the Stilo helmets with integrated radio?  We all currently use the ear bud system.  I was considering switching over just for ease of use and comfort, but I am worried that the sound quality will suffer.  Has anyone used both that can give a quick review?

Comfort, plenty loud, ease of use.  Go buy a new helmet

Just now, zack_280 said:

I've had mine for about 5 years and I still love it.

Saw you guys pulling a trans?  Everything ok?

More or less.  The pressure plate is ruined.  We didn't adjust the clutch and it was overextending the clutch fork and pushing the fork into the back of the pressure plate.  It overextended enough that it caused the pressure plate disk to loosen a bit and move off center.  That caused a bit of a massive vibration issue.  It's an M3 clutch and some other pressure plate combo I got from HARD motorsports.  HARD motorsports said they've never heard of anyone not adjusting the clutch after installing it.  Made me feel pretty special.  DERP!

Edited by zack_280
  • Like 1

I don't have a Stilo, but adding speakers to my helmet was one of the best decisions I've made. It simplified things a lot for me.

• Like 1

Ive been selling and using this system for years now... LOVE IT!

I would suggest with a standard IMSA wires helmet kit with speakers. We have fixed and seen way to many issues with the Stilo system over the years plus you have to buy and keep a extra jumper.

We offer a system you can add yourself or send it in

https://www.sampsonracing.com/Build-your-own-racing-plug-together-helmet-kit-p/src-hkp-build.htm

Cheers, Shawn

One teammate uses Stilo, loves it. One bought a cheaper brand with built-in speakers and can barely hear over the noise of the engine and was much better off with quality earbuds. I plan to keep my earbuds. All the formula 1 drivers use earbuds instead of built-in, not exactly sure the reason (maybe it’s the weight? Maybe superior noise reduction).

Edited by enginerd

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

One teammate uses Stilo, loves it. One bought a cheaper brand with built-in speakers and can barely hear over the noise of the engine and was much better off with quality earbuds. I plan to keep my earbuds. All the formula 1 drivers use earbuds instead of built-in, not exactly sure the reason (maybe it’s the weight? Maybe superior noise reduction).

Nate, care to mention the one that doesn't work well?  Does it start with an R by chance?  In the market for a new helmet and that one is more in my price range currently.

40 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

Nate, care to mention the one that doesn't work well?  Does it start with an R by chance?  In the market for a new helmet and that one is more in my price range currently.

I think it was a Roux but not positive. I will caveat the earlier statement by saying that our car is very loud inside, probably louder than most. A quieter car would not be as problematic.

Get a set of custom molded ear buds.  They don't fall out, in fact they are hard to remove.  But they are comfortable and simply seal out the rest of the world.  Biggest problem is the need to turn the radio down when I get in the car, and sometimes I get startled by crew coming on the radio because they start talking inside my head. 

I feel less tired getting out of long stint in loud cars with them too. 

• Like 2

FWIW, I have a Roux helmet and have found the built in radio bits to work great in both tin top and open cars.  We skipped the built-in radio stuff in wife's Still for the reasons Shawn previously noted in this thread.

• Like 1

I have a Roux also.  I wear foam ear plugs and can still hear the radio just fine.  Before the Roux, I used speakers like in Shawn's post.  Again with foam ear plugs, I could hear just fine.  Helmet speakers are so much better and simpler than messing with ear buds.

• Like 1

Stilo owner here - love the simplicity and comfort of the built in speakers, zero issues with sound quality. Three seasons in, the interior of the Stilo still appears new. 

16 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

15 hours ago, enginerd said:

I think it was a Roux but not positive. I will caveat the earlier statement by saying that our car is very loud inside, probably louder than most. A quieter car would not be as problematic.

Yes it was a Roux. He decided to go the cheaper route than the STILO. 

I use the:

https://90racing.com/products/stilo-st5-gt-composite-helmet-with-radio-comms?variant=12544902856771

And the Roux that does not have "as good" of comms, is the:

https://90racing.com/products/roux-r1-fiberglass-helmet

Other people really like their Roux helmets, but I just freaking love the comms with the Stilo. The only thing I dislike is having to use a patch cable. I like how the roux does not require any patch cable at all. 

• Like 1

I put the cheapo motorcycle speaker kits in our team's helmets, they work fine.

Motorcycle Helmet Headset Speaker Earpiece Kit Fit For Walkie Talkie UV-5R 5RE Black

Some of you guys have exhausts that require me to wear my custom molded ear buds even when I am not in the car!

How does the Stilo handle this?

41 minutes ago, Hurljohn said:

Some of you guys have exhausts that require me to wear my custom molded ear buds even when I am not in the car!

Outside of the extremely loud rotary that sounds like Nickleback , pretty good.  They muffle the outside world well.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hurljohn said:

It's not exactly a whisper- you still think "damn I'm glad I'm not driving that car." I know all the NASCAR guys appear to still use their molded ear buds with the Stilo.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:53 PM, Shawn Sampson said:

Ive been selling and using this system for years now... LOVE IT!

I would suggest with a standard IMSA wires helmet kit with speakers. We have fixed and seen way to many issues with the Stilo system over the years plus you have to buy and keep a extra jumper.

We offer a system you can add yourself or send it in

https://www.sampsonracing.com/Build-your-own-racing-plug-together-helmet-kit-p/src-hkp-build.htm

Cheers, Shawn

I bought a setup like this and added a set of replacement over ear headphone cups.  I did this to emulate how the stilo isolates the ear from the outside noises.  Works great in various cars I have raced in.  It isn't the prettiest setup but it was damn cheap when retrofitting my old helmet.

• Like 1

I like my custom molded earbuds.

I've used a ROUX and really enjoyed it. Sound quality was great and I am tempted to buy one but my current helmet is too new and too comfortable for me to make the change now. 

The issue with ear buds is there are a lot of variables that can cause issues... Different types, different brands, different usage, etc.