Stilo integrated speakers vs ear buds

On 3/5/2019 at 10:38 AM, red0 said:

Yes it was a Roux. He decided to go the cheaper route than the STILO. 

I use the:

https://90racing.com/products/stilo-st5-gt-composite-helmet-with-radio-comms?variant=12544902856771

And the Roux that does not have "as good" of comms, is the:

https://90racing.com/products/roux-r1-fiberglass-helmet

Other people really like their Roux helmets, but I just freaking love the comms with the Stilo. The only thing I dislike is having to use a patch cable. I like how the roux does not require any patch cable at all. 

What is the required patch cable?  Based on the glowing reviews here I ordered a Stilo this morning.

• Technical Advisory Committee
5 hours ago, Clueless Racing said:

What is the required patch cable?  Based on the glowing reviews here I ordered a Stilo this morning.

Most car harnesses have a female end, and the STILO has a female connection. You need to use a cable that goes between the two. 

On 3/4/2019 at 2:17 PM, Clueless Racing said:

Has anyone used one of the Stilo helmets with integrated radio?  We all currently use the ear bud system.  I was considering switching over just for ease of use and comfort, but I am worried that the sound quality will suffer.  Has anyone used both that can give a quick review?

Love mine!  Speaker helmets are awesome and these are the best.  

On 3/4/2019 at 2:53 PM, Shawn Sampson said:

Ive been selling and using this system for years now... LOVE IT!

I would suggest with a standard IMSA wires helmet kit with speakers. We have fixed and seen way to many issues with the Stilo system over the years plus you have to buy and keep a extra jumper.

We offer a system you can add yourself or send it in

https://www.sampsonracing.com/Build-your-own-racing-plug-together-helmet-kit-p/src-hkp-build.htm

Cheers, Shawn

I bought mine from Shawn.  Got the wrong size initially, Shawn swapped it out for me no problem.  Highly recommended.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've used the Stilo helmet with air, ear cuffs, mic and integrated water bottle bite valve for 10 years now without issues.  Performance much better than earbuds IMO and way easier and comfortable to use.  I have to order up a new SA2020 helmet and will be ordering the Stilo ST5 with the same setup.  It's the ideal thing for endurance racing, comms, air and drink!  The air keeps the helmet much cooler in summer and defogs the lens in wet weather.  Since every race I go to it rains/pours, it's been a great addition.

• Like 1

I’m using a Pyrotect ultra air helmet with a Sampson Radios speaker and mic kit I installed myself. Took 15 minutes and works great. Much better than earbuds. Wish I had the money for a Stilo but I’m sure it works great. Stilo does need adapter cable for imsa plug

On 3/4/2019 at 6:02 PM, enginerd said:

One teammate uses Stilo, loves it. One bought a cheaper brand with built-in speakers and can barely hear over the noise of the engine and was much better off with quality earbuds. I plan to keep my earbuds. All the formula 1 drivers use earbuds instead of built-in, not exactly sure the reason (maybe it’s the weight? Maybe superior noise reduction).

F1 ear buds have accelerometers built in to measure forces on the drivers head in a crash. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Using the helmet speakers in my first car wasn't an option, noisy rotary..   but my new 2020 helmet that is on permanent order will have them!  Can't wait to try it!