Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
turbogrill

Use accelerometer to capture steering wheel angle

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

As a fun project I am thinking about putting a MC with a accelerometer inside the steering wheel. I think you could detect the steering wheel angle then?

 

Or do I need a gyroscope? (That seems harder...)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simplest and cheapest way?  A multi-turn potentiometer on the steering column run by a small o-ring belt.

You could get an Aim string pot and do this:

901751d1420994847-suggestions-recommenda

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, erich said:

Simplest and cheapest way?  A multi-turn potentiometer on the steering column run by a small o-ring belt.

You could get an Aim string pot and do this:

 

 

That's an interesting approach and pretty easy to set up. Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, erich said:

Simplest and cheapest way?  A multi-turn potentiometer on the steering column run by a small o-ring belt.

You could get an Aim string pot and do this:

901751d1420994847-suggestions-recommenda

 

 

The aim pot is $250(!)

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a cheap throttle position sensor, put a lever on the throttle tab, hook a string to the steering column as shown on one side and an extension spring on the other to pull the lever back and you've got your string pot.

 

Do the math to get the appropriate lever length to get a 1/4 turn on the TPS for whatever lock-to-lock number your steering rack requires.

Edited by mender
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mender said:

Get a cheap throttle position sensor, put a lever on the throttle tab, hook a string to the steering column as shown on one side and an extension spring on the other to pull the lever back and you've got your string pot.

 

Do the math to get the appropriate lever length to get a 1/4 turn on the TPS for whatever lock-to-lock number your steering rack requires.

 

Sounds so complicated!

 

Duck tape a MEMS gyroscope to the sterring wheel and connect to a microcontroller and write some code sounds much easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

 

Sounds so complicated!

 

Duct tape a MEMS gyroscope to the steering wheel and connect to a micro-controller and write some code sounds much easier.

Back at you! My question would be whether it can isolate a single plane of rotation in a 3D environment.

 

Maybe we should talk about a couple of electronics-based projects that I've been thinking about ...

Edited by mender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mender said:

Back at you! My question would be whether it can isolate a single plane of rotation in a 3D environment.

 

Maybe we should talk about a couple of electronics-based projects that I've been thinking about ...

 

Go for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...