Sign in to follow this  
turbogrill

Use accelerometer to capture steering wheel angle

Hi,

As a fun project I am thinking about putting a MC with a accelerometer inside the steering wheel. I think you could detect the steering wheel angle then?

Or do I need a gyroscope? (That seems harder...)

Simplest and cheapest way?  A multi-turn potentiometer on the steering column run by a small o-ring belt.

You could get an Aim string pot and do this:

901751d1420994847-suggestions-recommenda

• Like 2

5 hours ago, erich said:

Simplest and cheapest way?  A multi-turn potentiometer on the steering column run by a small o-ring belt.

That's an interesting approach and pretty easy to set up. Nice!

7 hours ago, erich said:

901751d1420994847-suggestions-recommenda

The aim pot is $250(!)

• Sad 2

Get a cheap throttle position sensor, put a lever on the throttle tab, hook a string to the steering column as shown on one side and an extension spring on the other to pull the lever back and you've got your string pot.

Do the math to get the appropriate lever length to get a 1/4 turn on the TPS for whatever lock-to-lock number your steering rack requires.

Edited by mender
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mender said:

Get a cheap throttle position sensor, put a lever on the throttle tab, hook a string to the steering column as shown on one side and an extension spring on the other to pull the lever back and you've got your string pot.

Do the math to get the appropriate lever length to get a 1/4 turn on the TPS for whatever lock-to-lock number your steering rack requires.

Sounds so complicated!

Duck tape a MEMS gyroscope to the sterring wheel and connect to a microcontroller and write some code sounds much easier.

13 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Sounds so complicated!

Duct tape a MEMS gyroscope to the steering wheel and connect to a micro-controller and write some code sounds much easier.

Back at you! My question would be whether it can isolate a single plane of rotation in a 3D environment.

Maybe we should talk about a couple of electronics-based projects that I've been thinking about ...

Edited by mender

1 hour ago, mender said:

Back at you! My question would be whether it can isolate a single plane of rotation in a 3D environment.

Maybe we should talk about a couple of electronics-based projects that I've been thinking about ...

Go for it!